Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Ohozohoz

Sep 8, 2022
Brisbane
I'm also in Australia and mine turned up without the right cranks like yours. I noticed and they apologised for it.

It took them one week to get the carbon ones on so it may not be a very long delay

Trek Australia might well have known but the LBS literally get the bike and build it. I certainly don't blame them and they were very helpful.

I hope it only takes them a week to get mine in but Trek told me they have no idea how long it will be. I told Trek that my store had been absolutely brilliant as a buying experience. I am more concerned about Treks handling of this. For instance, have you checked everything else on your bike? They have lost my trust because they weren't honest about it all. If they do this with crank arms, what else are they capable of. I know there will be those who would just say, get over it, but my personal response to Trek was to make them aware of how it changed my opinion of them.
Anyway, I look forward to getting the parts on the bike soon, hopefully. Just to be clear, the bike is everything I wanted it to be. This isn't about the bike or crank arms. It's about Trek management and how they treat their customers.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
@Ohozohoz I know what your saying and understand the issue but Trek does have on their website small print that does say changes maybe made to spec due to shortages. I hope the LBS can sort you out

My rail came with different tyres to spec but it was only a $40 odd difference. I would be complaining or asking for discount if it was a more expensive part.

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
Inc
I hope it only takes them a week to get mine in but Trek told me they have no idea how long it will be. I told Trek that my store had been absolutely brilliant as a buying experience. I am more concerned about Treks handling of this. For instance, have you checked everything else on your bike? They have lost my trust because they weren't honest about it all. If they do this with crank arms, what else are they capable of. I know there will be those who would just say, get over it, but my personal response to Trek was to make them aware of how it changed my opinion of them.
Anyway, I look forward to getting the parts on the bike soon, hopefully. Just to be clear, the bike is everything I wanted it to be. This isn't about the bike or crank arms. It's about Trek management and how they treat their customers.
I appreciate it's a frustrating situation as you'd expected to get what is specced on the bike. No advance comms is not ideal. I reckon they prioritised speed of delivery / getting bikes to shops over full spec.

Also, it's worth noting that the Lyrik fork is the new model with the Charger 3 damper, not the 2.1 damper in the online spec.

For reference, they told me they didn't know how long it would take and then a week later they had some for me.

As I've bought a few Trek bikes from this store in the past I know they'll look after me and have proven this over time.

I've confidence they'll see you right and you can get the correct items on there.

In the meantime, you've an awesome bike and seems like you're enjoying it.

Last edited:

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
. . . I am more concerned about Treks handling of this. For instance, have you checked everything else on your bike?. . .
Our EXe 9.7 bikes here in the U.S. came equipped with SLX 7100 brake levers, calipers, and disc rotors instead of the Deore 6100 components listed on the website.

We did not complain to the shop or to Trek ;)
Sometimes supply chain issues can work in one's favor

R2thek

Apr 10, 2022
Colorado
personally as someone who owns both FF and SL ebikes, i feel new bikers should always start off with a SL. I fee starting off straight with FF gives you alot of bad habits and you rely too much on the motor, to get you over obstacles etc.

Dont worry about the power of the EXE, its more than enuff. You wont feel "tired" unless you are REALLY pushing it, hammering up the uphills, pushing for PRs etc
if You are going to do any technical trails or single track, consider an acoustic bike first—until you have confidence in your abilities.

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
They have lost my trust because they weren't honest about it all. If they do this with crank arms, what else are they capable of.
I don't know if you've worked in big companies... But it's much more likely that this happening was a break down in process rather than the more sinister idea that they're deliberately trying to deceive you.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Has anyone figured out a good add-on accessory for the water bottle bolts on the bottom of the top tube? Looks like an alternate water bottle position, but there’s not enough room for two water bottles at the same time.

Are there any bolt on tool bags that would work there? It would be nice to put a tube and some tools there.

Kepler

Sep 8, 2019
Australia
Our EXe 9.7 bikes here in the U.S. came equipped with SLX 7100 brake levers, calipers, and disc rotors instead of the Deore 6100 components listed on the website.

We did not complain to the shop or to Trek ;)
Sometimes supply chain issues can work in one's favor

Same here in Australia on the 9.7. Not complaining. I would however be complaining about the wrong spec cranks if I had purchased the 9.8. Worth noting my LBS had no idea about the upgraded brakes until l told them.

As disappointing as it is that Trek HQ didn't come forward with a plan for replacement of down spec components, I doubt that they would expect we as consumers not to figure this out pretty quickly. I have bought a lot of Trek bikes over the years and no doubt will continue to do so. Personally I am confident their main intent was to get bikes out to market and sort out any fallout afterwards.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi all havin a problem with my Exe, I've got a clicking noise when peddling which i can feel through both pedals it's not there all the time and is more harsh when riding unassisted ,obviously I've done all the checks pedals ,chainring ,crank arms ,linkages, rear derailleur engine bolts and seat post just wondering if anyone else has had or having this issue ....??? View attachment 96667
This is exactly how I would build it up, but with a mullet set-up. I absolutely love it!

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Been looking for a large 9.7. Walked into a shop in Durango and found one. Took a quick test ride and was pretty impressed....until the motor threw a code and the motor quit as I rolled into the shops driveway. Sales guy reboots the thing and it seems to be okay. I was an inch from buying it and decided to hold my breath a bit longer.

dajimmers

Aug 8, 2022
Marquette, MI USA
Has anyone figured out a good add-on accessory for the water bottle bolts on the bottom of the top tube? Looks like an alternate water bottle position, but there’s not enough room for two water bottles at the same time.

Are there any bolt on tool bags that would work there? It would be nice to put a tube and some tools there.
I would think there are- I started searching but haven't found exactly what I'd like yet. I'd like a simple mount with a strap to securely hold a tube and a OneUp pump+EDC setup. Should be everything I'd want for routine rides. I have essentially that setup on my fatbike now, but the tube is held on by a frame strap so not as elegant.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Been looking for a large 9.7. Walked into a shop in Durango and found one. Took a quick test ride and was pretty impressed....until the motor threw a code and the motor quit as I rolled into the shops driveway. Sales guy reboots the thing and it seems to be okay. I was an inch from buying it and decided to hold my breath a bit longer.
I just visited a Trek store, was told none in stock and only two stores in whole United States have a bike in stock. Not easy to purchase a bike without test riding, made more difficult with increasing reports of motor issues.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Second ride on the EXe this morning. It rides really good. It does not put down as much power as the Orbea Rise I just sold, but it isn‘t too far off. The EXe has a slightly more natural feel. I found I used Eco more on the EXe to conserve battery. The Rise motor is a little more efficient than the EXe. With the EXe, I would typically get 20 miles and about 2,700‘ elevation and always had a fair amount of battery left (20% or so). With my ride this morning on the EXe, I was able to get 13.91 miles and 1,719’ elevation. if I do the math, it would equal 19 miles and 2,355’ elevation if I drained the EXe battery down to 0%. Again, I was using more eco on the EXe than my rides on the Rise. The EXe motor is still very quiet. I was able to hear a slight whine, and I mean very slight, if I was pushing hard in boost mode. I think the EP8 is a more efficient motor, but I’d still take the EXe due to the quiet motor with no rattle and stealth frame/motor combination. These are my reviews so far for anyone on the fence. Strava photos and battery percentage below:

55C16C33-6B19-4B18-ADEE-A8A3E984CEB0.jpeg

181A113A-1FFC-4ECB-B8AA-F96E1075CB5D.png

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I just visited a Trek store, was told none in stock and only two stores in whole United States have a bike in stock. Not easy to purchase a bike without test riding, made more difficult with increasing reports of motor issues.
I know of two of them in bike shops in Northern California and more are arriving in the USA in Sept. If you tell your local Trek dealer that you want to buy one, they can get you one. However, it is hard to commit now given the sound quality concerns.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Wow! Trek really knows how to roll out a new product🤦🏻

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
I know of two of them in bike shops in Northern California and more are arriving in the USA in Sept. If you tell your local Trek dealer that you want to buy one, they can get you one. However, it is hard to commit now given the sound quality concerns.
Exactly. I’m in Virginia, was told they can have the model I want in two weeks, showed me the warehouse inventory. Other models will be 2-4 months wait. Got the OK from the CFO so I just need to pull the trigger.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Can anyone tell me what interface the cranks/axles use please? Is it ISIS, same as on the Bosch and Brose? Cheers.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Trek‘s website is super user friendly. Put in you zip code and it will show you all the bikes in stock/size/ color/ model and at which bike shop in your area.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Second ride on the EXe this morning. It rides really good. It does not put down as much power as the Orbea Rise I just sold, but it isn‘t too far off. The EXe has a slightly more natural feel. I found I used Eco more on the EXe to conserve battery. The Rise motor is a little more efficient than the EXe. With the EXe, I would typically get 20 miles and about 2,700‘ elevation and always had a fair amount of battery left (20% or so). With my ride this morning on the EXe, I was able to get 13.91 miles and 1,719’ elevation. if I do the math, it would equal 19 miles and 2,355’ elevation if I drained the EXe battery down to 0%. Again, I was using more eco on the EXe than my rides on the Rise. The EXe motor is still very quiet. I was able to hear a slight whine, and I mean very slight, if I was pushing hard in boost mode. I think the EP8 is a more efficient motor, but I’d still take the EXe due to the quiet motor with no rattle and stealth frame/motor combination. These are my reviews so far for anyone on the fence. Strava photos and battery percentage below:

View attachment 96802

View attachment 96803
Will be interesting to see how you get on with it. I'd be surprised if the ep8rs was more efficient. Maybe it needs a few charge cycles to settle in ? I thought one of Robs turbo rides gave more range and altitude than that ? Though obviously there's a zillion other factors to take into consideration.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Will be interesting to see how you get on with it. I'd be surprised if the ep8rs was more efficient. Maybe it needs a few charge cycles to settle in ? I thought one of Robs turbo rides gave more range and altitude than that ? Though obviously there's a zillion other factors to take into consideration.

I am hoping it needs some more charge cycles to provide a little more elevation and distance. I’ll say this, it seems Like it is charging faster this time than the first. I’ve had it charging for about an hour this morning and it has gone from 37% to 90% thus far, so 53% gain in about 1 hour. Trek was accurate in stating you could do a full charge in 2 hours.

I can charge my bike from my Toyota 4Runner while out. I have a solar panel with with an Eco Flow power station. It wouldn’t be out of the question to go for a ride, charge while taking a long lunch, then go for another ride. The power station works great for camping remotely.

I am hoping for more miles and elevation gain, but 90% of my rides are 20 miles or less, so I don’t think it will be a big deal.

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
I think the EP8 is a more efficient motor, but I’d still take the EXe due to the quiet motor with no rattle and stealth frame/motor combination.
Do you notice/appreciate the lack of backlash in the motor? On the Rise when very little power is needed to keep speed, I can hear the EP8RS cutting in and out. It bothers me a little.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Do you notice/appreciate the lack of backlash in the motor? On the Rise when very little power is needed to keep speed, I can hear the EP8RS cutting in and out. It bothers me a little.

i didn’t feel that with the Rise. The Rise, for me, was different in that the more output I gave, the more it provided. It was very intuitive And seemed to sense when I needed it. I have a very small sampling on the EXe, but will continue to report. Like I said though, I would still take he quiet motor on a stealth bike. Some of the best trails in the southwest and 4 corners area don’t allow E bikes. The EXe is going to open those doors for me.

addthebadd

Sep 7, 2022
Wales, UK

View attachment 96802

View attachment 96803
That feels an alarmingly low range. Can you let us know if it has improved?

Jilleride45

Nov 2, 2018
USA

On the Fuel EX-E you may feel this with acceleration set at max, this is what I found. Setting acceleration to the middle absolutely no feeling of shutting on and off, just smooth assistance.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I did my very first ride(s) today on my new 9.7. The first ride was on some steep trails where I used Trail with a handful of full Boost on a few steep climbs. No Eco. Ended up with 12.6 mi / 3200 feet. Ran the battery down to 10%. About what I expected from the first charge.

We still wanted to ride more so we charged the batteries in the van while we ate lunch. With about 1.5 hrs of charging the battery was back to 83%. The next ride was 13 mi / 2300 feet and I ended up at 21% battery left. This ride was all on Trail.

Not great range, but about what I expected for Trail+ riding on steep trails.

The 4A charger was nice. My buddy with the 2A on a Rise ran out of battery on the downhill of the second ride.

I noticed I also didn’t get the battery cover clip that’s been mentioned here. I couldn’t put the cover back on while the battery was charging in the van and we were driving.

My motor didn’t make any funny noises. I hope that remains the case. The motor is so quiet. I couldn’t hear it over my friend’s EP8s behind me.

All in all a great first day on the bike. I’m happy with my choice of the EXe.

***Edited to add weight***

My weight is 185 lbs / 84 kg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles