Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

az2au

Nov 16, 2022
Scottsdale, AZ
Remove the cassette was no issue. It is normal. Removing the end cap from the Shimamo hub was the hard part. I’m used to seeing a flat part and the through axel was perfectly round. I was confused by that and had to ask someone that really knows what they are doing. This resulted in me buying yet another tool (smooth jaw channellocks) that I didn’t already have. No matter how many tools I have there is seemingly a new one required every time I want to change something.

Note: I’m not exactly highly experienced in mountain bike maintenance but I’m used to doing my own maintenance for most everything because I enjoy it. I’m sure someone more experienced would just know what to do immediately.

You absolutely need an end cap and I just stopped in at an LBS to get the driver and springs/pawls.

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
FL
Hi guys, new around here. This awesome thread got me on a Fuel EXe, so thank you, its a great bike! This is the definitive internet source for real world experiences on the Fuel Exe!

BUT: I want to mullet my ride, especially coming off a long stint on 27.5 bikes. This bike has been described as being "lively", and I think a big contributor is the much lower than quoted BB. I do think there is a important error on the geometry chart as quoted by Trek in terms of the BB height. I measured 5 different bikes in Sizes small to large and I can't find a stock bike (29", 150mm fork) with a BB height higher than 342mm, in high setting. Which makes me think in 29er stock form, this bike runs 340-342mm(high), instead of quoted 349mm. Similarly, it runs ±335mm(low), instead of quoted 342mm. My size small with a 160mm fork is at 342mm(high), and with a 150mm fork, its 339mm(high). In Mullet form with a 150mm fork it is 330mm(high).

This should be fine if you run 29 FR/RR, but with a BB drop of 8-10mm in mullet 29FR/27.5RR, it really put this bike into lowest of low territory, and not really "mullatable" as marketed by Trek. If you run it in high, For reference my 27.5 160mm fork bike in size small was 345mm.

Its likely that I am overthinking this!! :) Maybe I should just ride it LOW...

Anyone wants to chime in on their bb heights? @Emailsucks98 what is your BB height with your mullet, 150mm?
I think you ended up being pretty close to correct. Trek seems to have updated their numbers to be closer in line with your bb heights. 341 high and 334 low

njatherton

Dec 1, 2022
PA USA
Re. Loose lower shock mount.

I think the problem is the bolt. The shoulder (unthreaded) is 50% of the length & the thread is 50% [not including head]. This means the shoulder only goes halfway thru the spacer. If you measure the diameters of the bolt with a digital caliper the thread is significantlly less than the shoulder - this is causing the movement. As a test, remove shock lower & put the bolt thru the spacer, try to wobble head of bolt - mine doesn't move, then try to wobble thread end - mine moves...a lot. As a temporary fix I have put a single layer of electrical tape on the thread that is in the spacer.
Of course, the ultimate fix is a bolt with a longer shoulder. If you look at other bikes replacement kits this is how they are. But I am struggling to source such a bolt that will fit the Ex e.

apollon

Aug 19, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Re. Loose lower shock mount.

I think the problem is the bolt. The shoulder (unthreaded) is 50% of the length & the thread is 50% [not including head]. This means the shoulder only goes halfway thru the spacer. If you measure the diameters of the bolt with a digital caliper the thread is significantlly less than the shoulder - this is causing the movement. As a test, remove shock lower & put the bolt thru the spacer, try to wobble head of bolt - mine doesn't move, then try to wobble thread end - mine moves...a lot. As a temporary fix I have put a single layer of electrical tape on the thread that is in the spacer.
Of course, the ultimate fix is a bolt with a longer shoulder. If you look at other bikes replacement kits this is how they are. But I am struggling to source such a bolt that will fit the Ex e.
This fits perfect but not possible to torque:

njatherton

Dec 1, 2022
PA USA
This fits perfect but not possible to torque:

That head will not fit

Gd3fit

Dec 1, 2022
FL
I’ve run the AXS/Shimano setup this way. I find the full AXS system to be smoother and more durable. The XT cassette I ran with the AXS lasted less than 1 year. This was on an Orbea Rise, so not even a full power bike. I’d suggest full AXS drivetrain, but just my opinion.
from what I am reading regarding the e13 chainring it is compatible with 11/12 speed speed systems so if moving to AXS (RD/controller) it would be only require a cassette and chain from the same manufacturer i.e. sram eagle/chain or shimano cassette/chain. also the rear freehub to match the cassette of course.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I did a ride today and recorded it on my garmin fenix 6 pro watch and used the trek central app to record the ride at the same time.

The garmin said the ride was 1700 feet of elevation, the trek central app said 2600feet of elevation.

I know the garmin is mostly accurate because it uses its barometric pressure sensor to calculate altitude,whereas i presume the trek app uses data embedded in the maps.

I was just surprised at how inaccurate the trek app was in terms of altitude. I guess it will vary from location to location due to it using different map data sources.