Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
The only good reason I can think of for running out of the bolts is they are switching to a new stronger version of it. Maybe they ran out because more are breaking than Trek anticipated. New bikes under warranty becoming useless because of a weak bolt is an error.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
The only good reason I can think of for running out of the bolts is they are switching to a new stronger version of it. Maybe they ran out because more are breaking than Trek anticipated. New bikes under warranty becoming useless because of a weak bolt is an error.
But didn't you say the LBS broke yours? Unless they were riding the bike at the time.

FWIW my Rail upper bolt is fine, just need a different one for coil conversion

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
My LBS broke mine while "Torquing" it. They said they thought they might have heard a squeak coming from that area. I think I read of someone else breaking one while torquing it. 17NM (12.54 ft-lb) is very light. It would be easy to exceed that if not using a torque wrench or if using an inaccurate one.

SensonicHp

Nov 11, 2022
Sweden
Did TQ just change the motor power spec?

i just came across something that may be evidence of some motor reliability issues.
when I read through the current specs on the 9.8XT EXe today, I saw a different motor spec than when I ordered my bike back in July and took some screen shots of the specs. I added the screen shots below. Does @Roman from TQ or anyone else know why this changed? First pic is Original spec of 300W. Second pic shows current spec of 250W continuous with 300W peak power.
Was there a change? If yes, why? Will that change be applied to existing bikes with firm ware updates?
View attachment 101561
View attachment 101562
A 300 W continous power is nor rad legal in most EU countries. 250 w is the limit so they have likely just updated the text on the website to be more specific. Its allways been 300 w peak.

Sharkiedog

Sep 23, 2018
Northern California
re: torque caps on mtbr:

5CF91242-BF38-40C9-8B59-62780F866A0B.jpeg

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
How to get a replacement upper shock bolt? This is for the 9.8 RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT. Trek says they are backordered and they don't know when they will get more. Is this a Trek frame part or a RockShox part? I'm wondering if I should try to get the bolt from Rockshox? It is part 1 in the picture. My LBS broke mine on November 3 so I am starting to get concerned, disappointed, annoyed, angry.....etc.

View attachment 101870
Another member was looking at Better Bolts for replacements in Ti. I sent a product request to BB to have them look at making or modifying the Santa Cruz ones they already offer for the EXe. $31 for a set for the SC.

bike2mars

Nov 8, 2021
new zealand
Hi all
Regarding 9.5 build ,was not very please to find rear wheel has cup & cone bearings in it ,Took back to shop to get replace . I know that they are a cheap wheel-set ,but they should be seal bearings etc

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
'23 model year Rockshox ZEB, Lyrik, and Pike comes with the adapters that screw into the lower legs to allow standard wheel hubs to line up to make it easier to install the axle. It doesn't give you any performance increases but at least makes installing wheels easier.

View attachment 101892
Thanks for that info. My 9.8 came with those parts in a bag and I had no idea what they were for.

Chris James

Nov 12, 2022
Big Island of Hawaii
Hi all
Regarding 9.5 build ,was not very please to find rear wheel has cup & cone bearings in it ,Took back to shop to get replace . I know that they are a cheap wheel-set ,but they should be seal bearings etc
My 9.5 didn't have cup & cone... but it is a very cheap build, extremely loud clank when first engaging. Although it has almost no sound at all when coasting so I love that!

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
'23 model year Rockshox ZEB, Lyrik, and Pike comes with the adapters that screw into the lower legs to allow standard wheel hubs to line up to make it easier to install the axle. It doesn't give you any performance increases but at least makes installing wheels easier.

View attachment 101892
I got those in the box when I bought the bike. the shop did not install them but I did put them on. not really required but it guides the wheel when putting in the axle.

XrayZulu

Nov 8, 2022
UK

View attachment 101892
Got those, and now I know what to do with them , thanks :)

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Venting some frustration here, my XT 12spd M8100 shifter has failed after ~20 rides. The thumb lever is totally locked up, even with the cable removed. I am sure it will be warrantied, so I’m not going to attempt any DIY fixes.

I’ll still get a ride in on my Hardtail!

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
My 9.7 arrives Monday, but I desperately want to wrap it before I ride it. Problem is, I can't find any size small frame wrap kits in the UK! Can anyone help please..?

XrayZulu

Nov 8, 2022
UK
My 9.7 arrives Monday, but I desperately want to wrap it before I ride it. Problem is, I can't find any size small frame wrap kits in the UK! Can anyone help please..?
Have you tried Invisiframe.co.uk themselves? I can add both a matte and a gloss size Small into a shopping cart so presumably they have some stock - and a 10% off offer at the moment.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Have you tried Invisiframe.co.uk themselves? I can add both a matte and a gloss size Small into a shopping cart so presumably they have some stock - and a 10% off offer at the moment.
Now why couldn't I see that!?! Where did you see the 10% off? I can't see that on the site...

Shades

Jul 29, 2020
San Francisco
I’m going to pick up a 9.7 tomorrow and I want to make sure I check everything before bringing it home. I need to check that it’s the latest firmware and there’s some bolts that should be tightened around the motor? What else is good to check out? Anyone have a check list?

XrayZulu

Nov 8, 2022
UK
I’m going to pick up a 9.7 tomorrow and I want to make sure I check everything before bringing it home. I need to check that it’s the latest firmware and there’s some bolts that should be tightened around the motor? What else is good to check out? Anyone have a check list?
Battery install - see post 1022

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I'd ask about the following:
  1. Manuals
  2. Charger
  3. Clip nut that secures the battery cover when battery is removed (may be secured to inside of cover)
  4. If it's a Rockshox fork, Torque cap adapters
  5. Air volume tokens for the fork
  6. Air volume tokens for the shock
  7. Spacer tool thing for tightening the lockring on the motor
  8. Shock pump

Reality is, you may not get 6-8, but it's at least worth asking.

Last edited:

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
I would check the major components to ensure there are no substitutions (that are downgrades). There is a clip that should be inside the battery cover. Mine was missing. The clip is used to attach the cover when the battery is not installed.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
How to get a replacement upper shock bolt? This is for the 9.8 RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT. Trek says they are backordered and they don't know when they will get more. Is this a Trek frame part or a RockShox part? I'm wondering if I should try to get the bolt from Rockshox? It is part 1 in the picture. My LBS broke mine on November 3 so I am starting to get concerned, disappointed, annoyed, angry.....etc.

View attachment 101870

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I've got some tools that can turn a 22 millimeter long bolt into a 19 millimeter long bolt. The tool I would start with is a Dremel Moto tool with a cut off wheel.

tony.c

Nov 17, 2022
Italia
Hello, my 9.7 comes with a chainring in One piece without a spider like the 9.8. i want the spider to put an Allen Key to clean and lube the chain without turning the bike upside down. Which part should i buy?
Thx

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Switched my Mino Link to the High position today. BB height went from around 332mm to 341mm. It is now about the same as my Ripmo. The High position definitely helped with pedal strikes. I can pedal through smaller rock gardens and split between rocks much easier now. So far after one ride I haven’t noticed any negatives.

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
Hello, my 9.7 comes with a chainring in One piece without a spider like the 9.8. i want the spider to put an Allen Key to clean and lube the chain without turning the bike upside down. Which part should i buy?
Thx
Get creative... Velcro, zip tie, string or shoelace, etc to strap the crank arm to the chainring

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles