Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
what are these new rumors you speak of? brose full power?
Brose had a new motor at Sea Otter, they didn’t really give many details other than it has more power and it was coming soon.

I’m more interested in the lightweight mid-powered motor that Bosch has coming.

roccobarocco

Feb 26, 2020
Germany
There are two new motors from Brose coming, one with internal gears the other with more power and compact size. To be announced at EuroBike 2023.

georjetto

May 11, 2023
United States
This is a more sensible way to measure the difference! Pic shared by another person going through the same pain! ;)

View attachment 114361
Ok I was able even to film what's going on while I was shifting from bigger cogs to smaller ones in here. And SRAM came back with the following response:
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to SRAM Rider Support. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your new Transmission kit.

Just so we are on the same page when you say the shifting performance is bad, would you be able to give me some details about some of the symptoms that you are experiencing?

While that bike has a Brose motor and we make a Brose-specific e-bike kit, based on conversations with Specialized, the Levo's motor and frame are offset, making the kit incompatible with the bike. The motor sits a couple of millimeters toward the non-drive side. In talking to our product development team, when you put the Brose-specific chainring on the Levo, the resulting chainline causes significant shifting issues, which is likely what you are seeing.

Additionally, because of the offset, while you may be able to install the Brose cranks on that bike if you compare the cranks that come stock on a Levo versus the Transmission cranks, you will notice that the Levo-specific ones are designed to compensate for the offset of the motor so the rider still sits more centrally over the bike versus being more towards the non-drive side. Because the chainring/spider mounts directly to the motor, you would be able to use your original cranks instead of the Transmission cranks.

I appreciate you sharing which model of Levo you currently have. Based on Specialized's specs, that bike should have come with a 104 BCD chainring spider. In order to get the correct chainline, you would want to use the spider in combination with a 104 BCD T-Type chainring. Below is the part number for the correct chainring.

Compatible chainrings:
11.6218.057.000 CHAINRING T-TYPE 34T 104 BCD STEEL BLACK

Your local shop/dealer or favorite online distributor would be your best resource for ordering the part. If you are installing it yourself, here is a link to our Transmission welcome page. The page includes lots of information about the installation and setup of the new drivetrain.

I hope that helps answer your question. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Last edited:

Abdoujaparov

Jan 3, 2022
Surrey
Looking at the FixSHox bushings, have you guys been replacing the bushings at both ends?
Assume they are 20x8 at both ends, i know it is for the front but struggling to find info for the rear online

trx

Dec 5, 2022
Milan
No you can replace just the front one, the rear must be fixed for the yoke to do its job properly

this is the correct one for the Levo gen 3:

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
About to order TRP DH-R evo brakes for a 22 Levo Expert..

What’s needed for installing the gear shifter and seat post lever on the new brakes?

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
About to order TRP DH-R evo brakes for a 22 Levo Expert..

What’s needed for installing the gear shifter and seat post lever on the new brakes?
What brakes / seatpost lever do you have already??
I just googled it and came up with loads of options 🤟

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
What brakes / seatpost lever do you have already??
I just googled it and came up with loads of options 🤟
Stock expert stuff, Code rs and x-fusion manic post (might end up swapping it for a oneup post eventually).
I found a `Matchmaker HD3,7’ thingy that might be the right one 🤔

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Stock expert stuff, Code rs and x-fusion manic post (might end up swapping it for a oneup post eventually).
I found a `Matchmaker HD3,7’ thingy that might be the right one 🤔

c0stunga

Apr 12, 2023
Germany
I have the same question, also because there are rumors on the new brose full power...
I could even imagine Specialized moving away from Brose with the next gen of Levo. There were lots of quality issues that wont't fit to the standard of the brand in my opinion. If you watch the new Levo SL YouTube reviews lots of discussions in the comment section are sth like "but did they fix their motor problems?". But most of them don't think about the quite reliable SL motors at that point but just heard about Brose issues. Who knows, maybe they even worked together on a more powerful Mahle motor for the next Levo generation and other FF.

Last edited:

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
does anyone know the weight of an S5 carbon frame? just the frame, no motor or shock etc.

PhilS

Mar 1, 2021
UK
IMG-9747.jpg

Here's my Levo Carbon S4, with a couple of upgrades ;)

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
Hoping the collective wisdom can set me straight here…
I removed the chain guide on my 23 Levo Carbon Comp today since SRAM indicated the 36t chainring won’t work with the OEM chain guide.

When I removed the frame bolt, of course I dropped it on the ground. I found the bolt and a very thin silver washer on the ground.

To reinstall the bolt, I ended up using:
1. Part of the chain guide with a pin that fits into a little the frame (named “chain guide back plate” in the manual)
2. The thin silver washer
3. The frame bolt (which apparently gets torqued to 18nm according to the manual?)

I was very nervous using 18nm torque on my carbon frame, especially since I wasn’t sure the assembly was correct.

The manual shows that there should be a 2mm washer against the frame, but I couldn’t find such a 2mm washer anywhere on the ground.

I’m attaching a diagram showing the part that I couldn’t find. It’s part J in the diagram, circled in red.

Do I need the washer labeled J?

Do I need a chain guide?

What’s the correct way to reassemble the frame bolt if I don’t run the chain guide?
1E1BDA5A-0DD0-48EA-9083-C49CE5049619.jpeg

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Hoping the collective wisdom can set me straight here…
I removed the chain guide on my 23 Levo Carbon Comp today since SRAM indicated the 36t chainring won’t work with the OEM chain guide.

When I removed the frame bolt, of course I dropped it on the ground. I found the bolt and a very thin silver washer on the ground.

To reinstall the bolt, I ended up using:
1. Part of the chain guide with a pin that fits into a little the frame (named “chain guide back plate” in the manual)
2. The thin silver washer
3. The frame bolt (which apparently gets torqued to 18nm according to the manual?)

I was very nervous using 18nm torque on my carbon frame, especially since I wasn’t sure the assembly was correct.

The manual shows that there should be a 2mm washer against the frame, but I couldn’t find such a 2mm washer anywhere on the ground.

I’m attaching a diagram showing the part that I couldn’t find. It’s part J in the diagram, circled in red.

Do I need the washer labeled J?

Do I need a chain guide?

What’s the correct way to reassemble the frame bolt if I don’t run the chain guide? View attachment 115786
I had the same problem, washer (J) was missing when I removed the chain guide. What Specialized had done is added an addition two (H) washers to get the spacing correct. I came to the conclusion that if the (J) washer had been present then the pin (F) on backing plate (A) would not have located correctly in the hole on the frame. This can only be down to poor QC when manufacturing the frame, pretty common in the bike industry unfortunately!

Anyway, I simply used only the thin silver washer and torqued to spec...

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Not really Levo specific but after bashing my AXS derailleur battery on a rock and breaking the retention tab off I was able to make a very sturdy and serviceable repair using JB Weld epoxy. Just build up a large enough glob in the spot then filed it into shape after it cured. So far it is working very well. Beats paying $60 for a new one!
103F5F3F-5E5B-465D-8C46-3DD2122E1337.jpeg
956E5AD3-F3BC-498C-82F7-F6EC3E4D139E.jpeg

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
Removed mine 2,000 miles ago - never once lost the chain - try without the guide
Because of crazy rain over the winter here in southern California the trails are wildly overgrown.

I've never popped a chain off but I did just bust link when branches got sucked in on a climb and bang, off it went.

Then I broke the chain tool taking off the broken link.

One of those days. 🤪

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Had the battery door shear off on a ride .
Contacted my dealer for a warranty replacement . None available in Australia ATM . I asked could I have a 1st generation door in the mean time . Yes , sure . But ,,, only one replacement per bike . So I would need to pay for the gen 2 door when it becomes available .
I asked does the Spesh rep think it`s his money he is spending . Tight arses !!

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
My local USA based shop says Specialized will not cover a broken off door under warranty and I have to pay $30. Can't really complain it was user error that caused the damage.

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
My local USA based shop says Specialized will not cover a broken off door under warranty and I have to pay $30. Can't really complain it was user error that caused the damage.
My local shop replaced my worn-out door with a gen 1 (before the gen 2's were available) and told me that they would be happy to replace it again once the gen 2's were out. The second door seems to be holding up ok so far so we'll see if I really get another replacement under warranty when the time comes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles