Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I cannot really figure out how to remove the chainstay after removing the main pivot bolts. I can’t tell if it’s just the cable housing guides and friction keeping it from sliding free or if I need to remove something else. I just want to access the bearings.

Last edited:

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I guess I figured it out. You need to drop the motor enough to lower the “dog bone” link thing and you need to slide inward the main pivot sleeves as they stick out partially into the chainstay. Sort of a hassle compared to servicing a typical FSR analog bike.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I only wanted to slide the chain stay back far enough to clean and grease the bearings as they did not need replacing. Yes, I had to remove the battery but I did not remove any cables. Hopefully I didn’t screw anything up.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
6 rides and my x2 has cavitated. Anyone know when the newer update 24 x2 is out? Im not going to enjoy sending it back constantly
I heard the 2024 updates are supposed to fix the issues with the X2, I was told that faulty shocks will be repaired with the updated 2024 parts. Mine also need to be repaired as well as my 38 that is leaking air from the air spring into the lowers! :mad:

NEW base valve piston design and compression tune for increased damping performance and improved sensitivity
NEW bearing housing seal package virtually eliminates possibility of aeration
NEW scraper seal for improved durability
NEW more robust eyelet design on trunnion models
NEW 7000 series shock body on all models
NEW hard chrome damper shaft finish for increased durability
MCU bottom-out bumper for end-stroke progressivity

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Decided to try 25 / 27 psi and was better but still not awesome, also think the stock tires are not the nicest.
I feel like I am a beginner rider again, this emtb thing takes a bit of learning to get used to.

I was finding I was always in the wrong gear and then was making sure I was always in the right gear and I was changing gears a lot more than on my normal enduro.

But had a great ride, 43kms and 1150m of elevation

here is a pic,

View attachment 113243
I ran 22 psi front, 24 psi rear on an Expert I tried out for a few days. The shop even recommended those pressures. Stock tires, I am 220 lbs with kit. I felt a bit of roll when schralping berms, but nothing to bad. Try lower pressures!

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
Can anyone help me with the following question please?

What is the minimum steerer tube length that will work on a stock S3 Turbo levo 2022?

I am selling a fork to an out of town buyer and want to be sure my fork will work on his bike. I don't think he knows exactly how to measure his bike.

Steerer tube on my fork is 167mm.

Thanks!

dfkenevo

Aug 13, 2018
Truckee, Ca
I do have a Levo Carbon Comp S3. 167mm will work but it won’t gave you lots of room to play with spacers. With the stock stem and NO spacers measures 155mm.
I hope this helps.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Each frame size has a 10mm incremental size increase of the headtube length. An S3 has 115mm Headtube, so an S4 would have 10mm less spacers to work with for example.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Stupidly broke off my charging port door dropping the battery for the aforementioned bearing service. Duct tape and 20mil tape didn’t work well but black Flex-Seal tape repaired it like a charm. This will easily hold until I can get a replacement.

6384644A-7C5C-4741-B35E-243860DDD023.jpeg 34E08C7E-866D-4D7A-A443-39585CA4EAB4.jpeg

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Stupidly broke off my charging port door dropping the battery for the aforementioned bearing service. Duct tape and 20mil tape didn’t work well but black Flex-Seal tape repaired it like a charm. This will easily hold until I can get a replacement.

View attachment 113642 View attachment 113643
Replace with the updated version...

Specialized S229900031 MY22 Levo Gen 3 Rock Guard Door Kit V2 Hinged Version​

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Hi

Considering a new bike, and i find that every single bike out there has it’s quirks and negatives, so i think i’ll probably just go by heart and LBS reputation… (We get 5y of ‘warranty’ where i live, so free brose’s for a while 😅)

Not willing to pay up for a Levo Pro, and hardly a expert, so i’m considering getting a Comp alloy instead, and put 1300 usd into proper wheels (ex511/factor602) and MT7’s that ive found on the local market.

Maybe even upgrade to a lyric or 38 grip eventually, but most seem happy with comp suspension.
It’s just that i come from a Merida 900E with factory front/rear susp, so i love the plush feeling i have had there.. (I’m not a bikepark guy though, hardly a big jumper at all).

Any input? Will i be missing out hard on the drivetrain, suspension (i see x2 has issues), carbon frame and display from the expert, or better off save 2000usd by upgrading the Comp and keep stock wheels/brakes as new for seconhand owner?

I’m no carbonframe lover, so that part worries me the least.

Last edited:

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I bought the Expert on sale and it doesn't need any upgrades as it comes with the Fox 38 Performance Elite and very decent kit. I did the math on the Comp Carbon and it would have cost more to upgrade everything from that bike vs getting the Expert. The only part that is sub par are the wheels..they work fine out of the box but don't have a good track record for longevity. Of course Alloy is a different discussion. Some people prefer alloy. I do not. And in the US right now the prices on carbon models on sale seem to indicate it's a better deal to go carbon.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Are the expert wheels (and hubs) a good upgrade from the Comp wheels then? I’ve seen so many upgrade the Expert wheels as well, which tells me they might still not be very good?

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
no, I changed them after a few months with dt ex 1700, if you want a serious upgrade, with reduced cost, put the dt h1900
Are the expert wheels (and hubs) a good upgrade from the Comp wheels then? I’ve seen so many upgrade the Expert wheels as well, which tells me they might still not be very good?

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I don't think the Expert wheels are much of an upgrade. They are Roval Traverse vs Roval. They are decent wheels with DT Swiss 370 hubs and Ratchet-LN internals. The hubs are bulletproof but I've had issues with the spokes breaking. They do work fine out of the box but I would not 'upgrade' to them from the base model Rovals. I have a different set of wheels w/ 29" rear on there and keep the OEM ones a backups.

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Thanks, as expected.
So in my case, where wheels needs an upgrade anyway, it’s close to $3000 extra for carbon frame, better fork (x2 shock is not something i really want), a display and a better derauilure/shifter then.
I think i have the answer then :)

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Got my motor replaced and on the test ride on smooth terrain I was astounded how quiet it was compared to my old motor. Fast forward to today, first stage of the race and as soon as I hit the rocks it sounded like the rear end of my bike was loose and rattling! Kept going until the end (everything felt fine lol) of the stage where I went over everything to check for tightness and all was good. Thinking it's the cable guides rattling against the motor or the battery spacers have magically worn or the motor is just a shit one :D

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
Had a plastic rattle in my Kenevo which i couldn't fix. Only when hitting hard impacts it sounds like loose nuts in the frame. After damping all cables and battery front interface to frame i finally swapped the E01680-100 Motor to the new -200 which i have for spare. Result: Silence !!!

it is the plastic-gear rattling at pedal kickbacks. Some motors seem to have more play or less fat in the planetary gear.
You can test when snipping on the upper chain with you hand, the motor is then rotating backwards a few degrees and clunking a little bit. This is the gear rattling.

Best regards,

Chris

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Had a plastic rattle in my Kenevo which i couldn't fix. Only when hitting hard impacts it sounds like loose nuts in the frame. After damping all cables and battery front interface to frame i finally swapped the E01680-100 Motor to the new -200 which i have for spare. Result: Silence !!!

it is the plastic-gear rattling at pedal kickbacks. Some motors seem to have more play or less fat in the planetary gear.
You can test when snipping on the upper chain with you hand, the motor is then rotating backwards a few degrees and clunking a little bit. This is the gear rattling.

Best regards,

Chris
100% this is the issue

OlaGB

Subscriber
Mar 19, 2019
Norway
Things changed quickly, i’m picking up a 1y old Expert that igot a ok deal on.. We got 5y warranty here, so still 4 to go, happy with that.

Not gonna jump on the upgrade train on this, except the wheels, but any input on things i should consider is appreciated.

Like the Fox x2 shock, i’ve read about a bushing that could reduce wear / damage on it, is that a thing i need?

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
The X-Fusion Manic dropper post on the Expert is a very cheap post for the price point of this model IMO. They are notorious for failing and even when they work it’s not impressive but serviceable. Not a day-1 need but I’d plan to replace it someday.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
The X-Fusion Manic dropper post on the Expert is a very cheap post for the price point of this model IMO. They are notorious for failing and even when they work it’s not impressive but serviceable. Not a day-1 need but I’d plan to replace it someday.
I'm happy with the Oneup dropper v2

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles