Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
the point is.... to do laps without the battery (I know how to switch the motor off or set it to turbo...)
Solved (no batt inside) :)
Way better manoeuvrability in tight corners

PXL_20230318_132323771.jpg

Last edited:

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Moto problem today. Motor started slipping and making a loud sort of grinding/ratcheting sound under heavy load with high assist kicking in. It would basically fail to output torque because the cranks would spin as if the drive was slipping.
After turning the motor off and running it Eco mode max 20% it did not seem to happen but if assist and torque were increased it would. This is scary. Tried searching but didn’t hear this description. Any ideas?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Moto problem today. Motor started slipping and making a loud sort of grinding/ratcheting sound under heavy load with high assist kicking in. It would basically fail to output torque because the cranks would spin as if the drive was slipping.
After turning the motor off and running it Eco mode max 20% it did not seem to happen but if assist and torque were increased it would. This is scary. Tried searching but didn’t hear this description. Any ideas?
No point searching for anything my friend, just call Specialized and get a new motor.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Dropped at the shop yesterday. Getting a new motor.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Ouch, this has always been my concern with Carbon frames, the small amount of weight saving compared to the alloy is what made me choose alloy over carbon, the extra weight is not noticeable on an ebike imo. I'm all for carbon and use it for my handle bars and wheels but I just worry about the frame delamination over time and cracks appearing like yours. It's great to see Specialized looked after you with a new frame though 👌
Alu cracks easier ....

(btw, it's not about the material, but amount of it)

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Hey ! A lot of you runs coil shocks in Levo g3.
what would be the weight for 68kg rider? 400lb/in? 450lb/in? or even more?
and I guess SAG around 20% ? (as the suspensiopn isn't very progressive even with air shock)

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
29er rear wheel on the GEN3 why ? The new rear design on the GEN3 is much better than the GEN2 which had a tendency to sit down. On the GEN3 there is an important anti-squat that helps the traction a lot. There is more traction on the GEN3 with a 27.50" wheel than with the 29" on the GEN2. The mullet makes the bike reactive and fun, for me putting a 29" wheel just doesn't make sense! ;)
for me, on some very technical trails i have here, make sense, as BB goes up by 1-2cm.
I hit plastic battery cover many times during last months, and it's 'in pieces', with a lot of tape on it (to keep it together)

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
29er rear wheel on the GEN3 why ? The new rear design on the GEN3 is much better than the GEN2 which had a tendency to sit down. On the GEN3 there is an important anti-squat that helps the traction a lot. There is more traction on the GEN3 with a 27.50" wheel than with the 29" on the GEN2. The mullet makes the bike reactive and fun, for me putting a 29" wheel just doesn't make sense! ;)
I only switched to a 29” rear wheel because the Roval rear wheel kept breaking spokes. After 6 broken spokes I got tired of replacing and truing the wheel. The only spare wheel I had is 29”. For me so far it works great. No problems riding all the same trails as before.
That said, I will probably switch back at some point to regain the added clearance and ability to install the mudguard again.

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Hey ! A lot of you runs coil shocks in Levo g3.
what would be the weight for 68kg rider? 400lb/in? 450lb/in? or even more?
and I guess SAG around 20% ? (as the suspensiopn isn't very progressive even with air shock)
I weigh 150 lbs. For reference, I'm running my 38 at 100psi with 3 volume spacers, and I was running my X2 on the stock linkage at 230 psi and no volume spacers.

With the 210x55 Cascade link and EXT E-Storia, I'm running a Sprindex (430-500) set at 480 lb/in, which feels balanced with my fork. No idea what the sag is, as I go by feel.

My Vorsprung Smashpot with a 45 lb/in spring arrives today, so I may tweak the rear spring rate a bit to get both ends perfectly balanced.

Edit: 45 spring is way too soft up front, so I just ordered both a 50 and 55.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7401

Does anyone know if Specialized will be offering a ‘23 Pro Model or is the ‘22 Orange going to be sticking around another year?

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Here in Canada, the Pro is almost out of stock, I noticed today. I've wondered if they have been waiting for the new SRAM eagle transmission since I notice the expert went electric shifting as well.

D

Deleted member 7401

Here in Canada, the Pro is almost out of stock, I noticed today. I've wondered if they have been waiting for the new SRAM eagle transmission since I notice the expert went electric shifting as well.

I highly doubt that…they will probably not do transmission until ‘24 since the ‘23 S Works is still on the AXS.

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
Hey guys, short question. Does someone of you still ride or have ridden a Stumpi Evo (21-22) beside the Levo? My Levo rides so damn beautifully and when I have enough time (one time in a month) I would ride a analog bike again. Does someone has a real life comparison? Thx

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
I bought a stumpi Evo 22 exactly by the same reason. Levo was so good.
I run bith with Mullet and same suspension. Feels good and at higher speeds very comparable.

Best regards,

Chris

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Hi !

Today my X2 in the S-Works is blown. After 2 months of riding trails and jumplines i could see black residuals on the shaft. Looks like the seals were running dry and grinded away. A few rides later the shock lost 50% of the air pressure suddenly.

I‘m now asking me if a warranty repaired shock will not have the same problem. Perhaps this is a design problem of the yoke-linkage which gives the shock extreme sideloads.

I‘m runnign with 210psi/2airvol spacers/80kg

Are there same issues with your X2 ?
If the compatible coil optins where cheaper i would swap to that, but i actually only see EXT and Push as robust yokelink compatible shocks

Best regards,

Chris

I had a Fox X2 on my Kenevo .
My suspension mechanic tells me the Fox X2 is a very high maintenance part . Twice a year service req . As they lose air pressure after a few months work .
At 200 + dollars per service I decided to go with a Fox float X on my gen 3 Levo .

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Considering adding Levo Expert build to my collection which comes with Traverse wheels. Anyone know what rear hub it comes with and how many point of engagement?

Last edited:

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Considering adding Levo Expert build to my collection which comes with Traverse wheels. Anyone know what rear hub it comes with and how many point of engagement?
It has the DT Swiss 370 with Ratchet-LN internals. The hub works well but I have broken about 6 spokes. They are easy enough to replace and re-true. I got tired to dealing with that and swapped in some Ride Fast carbon 29ers which I am liking a lot.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
It has the DT Swiss 370 with Ratchet-LN internals. The hub works well but I have broken about 6 spokes. They are easy enough to replace and re-true. I got tired to dealing with that and swapped in some Ride Fast carbon 29ers which I am liking a lot.
Cool, so I should be able to upgrade to 54T ratchet if necessary. Hope the spokes last longer for me.

Last edited:

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Cool, so I should be able to upgrade to 54T ratchet if necessary. Hope the spokes last longer for me.
No, I do not think so. The 350/370 use the star ratchet system and it is not replaceable with the 54T system as far as I am aware and I did look into this as I too was interested in the upgrade. I’ve been happy enough with the ratchet LN. I’d prefer to upgrade the whole wheel system than spend money on a 54T and the needed different free hub body and end caps. But it’s not possible so it doesn’t matter.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
No, I do not think so. The 350/370 use the star ratchet system and it is not replaceable with the 54T system as far as I am aware and I did look into this as I too was interested in the upgrade. I’ve been happy enough with the ratchet LN. I’d prefer to upgrade the whole wheel system than spend money on a 54T and the needed different free hub body and end caps. But it’s not possible so it doesn’t matter.
That’s odd. If it uses the star ratchet system, standard 18T ratchets can be swapped with 54T. I‘ll verify when I get the bike in couple days.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
I have the 54t upgrade for my 350.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
There is talk of even the GX coming soon. I highly doubt they will wait til 2024 to feature it, rather it's in the pipeline I believe. btw, it's really good stuff. Think it's worth it.

View attachment 110555 View attachment 110556
I’m still on the fence about picking the new AXS stuff up. According to SRAM I’ll need 2 chains in different lengths since I swap the high/low position depending on terrain. The tech I spoke with also said I’d have to go back through the set up anytime I changed the head angle. It’s not a deal breaker if you never change any of that stuff but I do a good bit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles