Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I've got to try this on my next ride. I always keep it in Trail mode but will go to Turbo for the right kind of technical hill as some I find I have more control in Trail soon. But I could see where using the micro tune would make a lot more sense!

I miss my old giant that had 5 modes, but I keep forgetting this bike really had 10

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I've got to try this on my next ride. I always keep it in Trail mode but will go to Turbo for the right kind of technical hill as some I find I have more control in Trail soon. But I could see where using the micro tune would make a lot more sense!

I miss my old giant that had 5 modes, but I keep forgetting this bike really had 10
You might be surprised how little % of power you need to use. I was quite surprised to find 50% to be as punchy as it was.

Ozmtb

Apr 7, 2023
Australia
3 months in and still having a blast riding this.

Levo underpass .jpg

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
For anyone who's installed Transmission on their Levo, where do you have Micro Adjust? I've triple checked that I installed everything according to procedure, in the correct order, and I've had to move Micro Adjust to 1 (minimum inboard position). Any more than that has the chain wanting to upshift in to the next smallest cog.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
For anyone who's installed Transmission on their Levo, where do you have Micro Adjust? I've triple checked that I installed everything according to procedure, in the correct order, and I've had to move Micro Adjust to 1 (minimum inboard position). Any more than that has the chain wanting to upshift in to the next smallest cog.
Which chainring are you running?

gibbers

Jun 1, 2023
UK
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post but i was looking at getting a Levo Expert.

I spoke to my local bike shop on the weekend and they mentioned that there are lot of issues with the Levo rear shock due to the design of the frame, i have searched here and found some info but is this something to be concerned about when looking to purchase?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post but i was looking at getting a Levo Expert.

I spoke to my local bike shop on the weekend and they mentioned that there are lot of issues with the Levo rear shock due to the design of the frame, i have searched here and found some info but is this something to be concerned about when looking to purchase?
Some people have issues, some don’t. My X2 blew up at 50 miles then again at 75 miles. I swapped it out with a coil and have had no issues since.

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
Some people have issues, some don’t. My X2 blew up at 50 miles then again at 75 miles. I swapped it out with a coil and have had no issues since.
My X2 was fine for the first 7 or 8 hundred miles and now it makes a squishy sound for 5 or 6 compressions each new day that I ride. Mine probably just needs service. I want to go coil though!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire

Yes the issue is specifically with the Fox X2.

For 2024 Fox have supposedly resolved the issue with the changes below. Any shock returned to them under warranty should be fixed with MY24 parts...

NEW base valve piston design and compression tune for increased damping performance and improved sensitivity
NEW bearing housing seal package virtually eliminates possibility of aeration
NEW scraper seal for improved durability
NEW more robust eyelet design on trunnion models
NEW 7000 series shock body on all models
NEW hard chrome damper shaft finish for increased durability

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
I got a Levo Expert a couple weeks ago, had the same concerns about the X2. No issues after 150 miles yet, plenty of jumps and drops. When the shock goes, I know it will be updated to the new 2024 internals. I do have my eye on the new Rockshox super deluxe coil with adjustable hydraulic bottom out though….

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
I installed the XX transmission with the 104BCD 36T chainring and it did NOT shift through all the gears correctly. I had to do the micro adjust about 5 times/button taps(0.2mm movement per button tap; 5 times = 1mm)
It shifts perfectly now, worth the $.

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
I installed the XX transmission with the 104BCD 36T chainring and it did NOT shift through all the gears correctly. I had to do the micro adjust about 5 times/button taps(0.2mm movement per button tap; 5 times = 1mm)
It shifts perfectly now, worth the $.
To expand on this - if MM5K didn't want to be slammed at setting 1, could they simply add a slim washer between the frame and derailleur to push the derailleur out a bit and then adjust the micro accordingly?

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
To expand on this - if MM5K didn't want to be slammed at setting 1, could they simply add a slim washer between the frame and derailleur to push the derailleur out a bit and then adjust the micro accordingly?
I don’t think that’s possible with the way the new derailleur direct mount works, Which is why the system can be micro adjusted. MM5K may have a different issue than I had.
Maybe MM5K is using the Brose chainring which apparently is not the correct spacing/offset for the Levo Brose. Levo uses there own spider to create the correct spacing/offset for a standard 104BCD chainring to be used.

Last edited:

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess mine is pretty much inline with AlumiPro (assuming he had to trim more inboard as well) - it comes out of the box at setting 7, and I have it trimmed all the way down to 1, so 6 index points instead of 5. 0.2mm sounds like a reasonable tolerance between frames or derailleurs.

Also, I'm currently using the stock 104BCD X-Sync2 chainring, while I'm waiting for the new T-Type 104 BCD ring to show up in the mail - I managed to snag one off an eBay seller in Taiwan. I measured all the dimensions of the new chain, and SRAM isn't lying when they say the T-Type chains aren't compatible with X-Sync2 chainrings - the new rollers are ~0.22mm larger, so the chain doesn't fully seat in the old chainrings (I checked against a brand new X-Sync2 ring). BUT, my current chainring with 1300mi is just worn down enough, so that the new, larger rollers are able to fully seat.

Also, Overkillit, I did consider the same idea, although it would be the opposite - it'd need to go inwards just a tad bit more, so I'd just have to shave the bushing down a tiny bit. I'm going to wait to see what SRAM says.

It's honestly pretty much perfect, but I don't like being on the very end of the adjustment range - it'd be nice if I had at least 1-2 more index points available inward, just so I could fully make sure I have it trimmed to the optimal position.

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
Ahhhh it all makes sense now. I assumed that you also changed out the chainring with the rest of the upgrade. Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I'm heading this direction next season - hopefully, these are more readily available. It's a bit unnerving when shifting in full turbo as a last minute change to get up a steep section. Otherwise, the AXS has been pretty stable. And I totally get the interest in having a few more index points! That would always make me wonder . . . .

AlumiPro

May 1, 2023
California
Oh, I wasn’t paying attention to what index I was at. I was just adjusting it until it shifted smoothly through every gear. How do you know what index you’re at?…the app?
I went from the original AXS XX1 to the T-Type XX, some say it’s not worth the $ if you’re upgrading from AXS….. it was for me.

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Anyone running Maxxis Assegia 2.5wt maxterra up front thoughts on it

always run a DHF up front but been considering the Assegia terra or grip but can the terra for cheap
fancy a change

Iv given the stock tyres a good test at glentress/inners and hammers and don’t get along with them so going to the tried and trusted haha Maxxis

thanks

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William

always run a DHF up front but been considering the Assegia terra or grip but can the terra for cheap
fancy a change

Iv given the stock tyres a good test at glentress/inners and hammers and don’t get along with them so going to the tried and trusted haha Maxxis

thanks
I run the assegai/EXO+ Maxxgrip up front and a DHR/DD on the rear. I like the assegai more than the DHF on my e-bike but wouldn’t want it on my regular bikes as it’s too draggy IMO.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire

fancy a change

thanks
I've gone the other way, after riding nothing but Maxxis for the past 10 years I thought I would give Specialized rubber a try. Going to stick with them, great tyres, so much so that my mate who is currently running running assegai's is also moving over after riding my bike!

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK

fancy a change

thanks
I am running a 2.5 Assegai and 2.4 DHR, in the past I have used DHF, I prefer the Assegai, it just gives me more confidence. Just had a few days of big rides in harsh terrain and all good on the Exo+ with cushcores 👍

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
I run the assegai/EXO+ Maxxgrip up front and a DHR/DD on the rear. I like the assegai more than the DHF on my e-bike but wouldn’t want it on my regular bikes as it’s too draggy IMO.
Thanks mate. I can get the max terra for £40 new (private sale) so thought I’d give it a try
rear has always been DHR2 aswell
but yesterday I punctured rear wheel with a rim ding and sealant wouldnt do it’s job so need rear tyre aswell

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
I am running a 2.5 Assegai and 2.4 DHR, in the past I have used DHF, I prefer the Assegai, it just gives me more confidence. Just had a few days of big rides in harsh terrain and all good on the Exo+ with cushcores 👍
Thanks looks like I will give it a try

might have to go some form of rim defenders as have a rim strike yesterday and can’t get it to seal at all today
rim isnt bent has a tiny mark on the rim at a loss with this haha

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown

fancy a change

thanks
I actually run the Assegia front and back. 2.6 front and 2.5 back. I prefer grip over playfulness and this works for me.

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
I actually run the Assegia front and back. 2.6 front and 2.5 back. I prefer grip over playfulness and this works for me.
Yeah thanks bought the Assegia max terra so will fit that next week when Im off just need to order new rear tyre as the rear is split just above the bead

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles