Off Brand eBikes and Hard Tails

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
It is pretty clear that the big boys are leading the charge these days and that most of the focus is on FS for all riding purposes. However there are some out here that don't want FS and are happy with a hardtail like myself. The simplicity, possibility of a lower weight and most important to me is that it acts like a speed checker on the downhills as I don't even use a dropper post....mainly because the Ti one on my bike has been galled in there for years after a three month stint on a salt water vessel truth be told.

While there are some up to spec e hardtails on the market none of them have all the features I want, biggest one is no throttle capability. Argue if you want but once you have a low speed only throttle aboard you won't have anything without it either. In fact there aren't many integrated mid motor's that are throttle able. The one I have had my eye on for a few years is the Bafang M600 which at 48v supposedly gets 120nm of torque, has a good torque sensor, is in the ballpark weight wise @ 3.6kg and compact enough to stuff it into a frame like this:

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 12.19.30 AM.png

However good it looks at first glance, or not, above in the nice Army green color a cursory inspection reveals a way to steep HA @ 69d and ST @ 73.5d so basically barely worked forward standard cheap Asian bike geo that was cutting edge on XC bikes 10 yrs. ago. The knobbly tires are stock 2" so one would assume that there isn't much room for more and that the rims are probably i25's or less.

Pre-order price was $2399 a few days ago and when I went back to look at the specs again just now I noticed it was up to $2599. As much as I would like to have a M600 bike this won't be the one. I did notice that American Eagle uses the motor on their FS Race bike at least but are not expected to be available here where I see Eagles almost on a daily basis and it's FS anyway.....Spy Shot: American Eagle eMTB with the new Bafang M500 motor | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

My search continues....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles