Odometer validity on used emtb (Bosch gen4) and how to test battery on used ebike?

Mihael

Feb 19, 2023
Croatia, Europe
hi all!

Bike is listed as very rarely used with price set at 2/3 of new one, odometer shows less than 100 km in a bit more than 2 years. Owner has receipt. So, the question is, how easy is for the owner to reset odometer? I've found reddit post where is says the certified shop can do that, or if you change display you start at 0 again. If this is the case, is there a pointer how to detect that display is not original? Some code somewhere? I am not worried so much about real state of km, as more to if someone is trying to get some benefit of not presenting real data. That would be a red flag in general.

Also, I feel like battery state/status should worry me more. If the bike has really not been used and battery left at 100% or close to 0%; for long time this is not god. How could I test this? The only thing I can come up is asking owner to try a bike on an 20-30 km ride.

If there is better idea on both topics, please share.

Last edited:

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've replaced a Kiox display myself and the odometer didn't reset.
I've also had two replacement motor's, after the first swap the milage stayed the same.
When the second motor failed I mentioned the odometer to the service centre and they said it should have been reset, which they did on when they swapped out the second motor.

I'm not sure what a diagnostic report would show now, but I noticed on my second motor (haven't checked the latest yet) that there was a green paint mark on the biggest electrical connector. I assumed this was to mark it as a rebuilt warranty motor. I'll see if my new motor has the same marking.

The diagnostic report should show a battery health % as far as I know.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I recently changed the display on my cube, from purion to kiox, and this did not restart the odometer, it kept the same 1.300 km.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I think it’s quite difficult to change the odometer. You should be able to tell from the wear of the bike if it’s used a lot or not. The Bosch batteries lasts well. Longest I’ve had one was almost 2 years. Always charging to 100%, and I could barely tell it had lost any mileage.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I think it’s quite difficult to change the odometer. You should be able to tell from the wear of the bike if it’s used a lot or not. The Bosch batteries lasts well. Longest I’ve had one was almost 2 years. Always charging to 100%, and I could barely tell it had lost any mileage.

Only for the end user, anyone who has a friend with access to the software can get it reset.
Agree on buying on condition though. You won't have any warranty on a second hand bike, I'd factor in the cost of a new motor and battery when comparing it against the price of a new bike, they can go at anytime really.

I'm really happy with my Bosch batteries performance after two and a half years but I'm on my third motor.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
The motor will be under warranty even if you buy second hand (as long as it’s still under warranty and you get the receipt) Here it’s 5 years

Last edited:

CannonFodder

Jul 5, 2022
N. Ireland
You should be able to tell from the wear of the bike if it’s used a lot or not. The Bosch batteries lasts well. Longest I’ve had one was almost 2 years. Always charging to 100%, and I could barely tell it had lost any mileage.
If the bike isn't more or less brand new looking with the mileage you state then walk away.

I've read that Bosch cells are from the top of the pile so no worries there.

So if the owner doesn't leave you feeling like he knows what he is talking about battery charging wise etc. Then perhaps look elsewhere.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Only for the end user, anyone who has a friend with access to the software can get it reset.
Agree on buying on condition though. You won't have any warranty on a second hand bike, I'd factor in the cost of a new motor and battery when comparing it against the price of a new bike, they can go at anytime really.

I'm really happy with my Bosch batteries performance after two and a half years but I'm on my third motor.
Third motor. That's not something you often hear with Bosch. What has been the issue?

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I don't think you can get a diagnostic that tells you the capacity of the battery in terms of degradation from poor storage practices (as mentioned extended 0% and 100% storage). The Bosch diagnostic at the dealer does give you the number of charge cycles, and that is what you should look at in terms of usage. The diagnostic report does contain code that can reveal issues like failing cells, but that is something Bosch analyzes and not the local shop.

I believe that the mileage on the motor is contained on the chip in the motor.

kevtp19

Jan 8, 2023
Plymouth
The motor will be under warranty even if you buy second hand (as long as it’s still under warranty and you get the receipt) Here it’s 5 years
I don't think that's correct. I had a Cube ebike and Cube do not allow you to transfer warranties.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
might be worth looking at new bikes, is trek fest happening in your country? In the UK it seems everywhere is selling 2022 trek bikes for 30% off

It's possible the guy did a warranty claim for a new motor and then decides to sell the bike after and lies about the real usage.
you'd probably be able to tell though from scratches on the frame etc or how new the cassette/chain/brake rotors look.
100km would be 2-3 rides only for me

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I've replaced a Kiox display myself and the odometer didn't reset.
I've also had two replacement motor's, after the first swap the milage stayed the same.
When the second motor failed I mentioned the odometer to the service centre and they said it should have been reset, which they did on when they swapped out the second motor.

I'm not sure what a diagnostic report would show now, but I noticed on my second motor (haven't checked the latest yet) that there was a green paint mark on the biggest electrical connector. I assumed this was to mark it as a rebuilt warranty motor. I'll see if my new motor has the same marking.

The diagnostic report should show a battery health % as far as I know.
Interesting my levo the milage was zero when the motor was replaced same on the second one. Its all on mission control but you would need to add each ride up. I wonder if there's a easier way to tot up totally. My battery still shows 100 percent health and I tested it 8 months ago ish comparing to first test run in 2019 it still gave same mileage on the same route. Enjoy

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
from my experience the odometer was reset when got a replacement motor after 1700km.
so apparently only dealers can reset the odometer, but I really would not trust that, digital car odometers have been hacked or 20+ years now and it's probably not that difficult.
however, It should be really easy to see if the bike has done 100km or not. It should be free from all minor wear, no scuffing or scraping marks. one off chips and gashes to paintwork would not concern me as that could happen within the 100km. but look at the cranks, look at the tyres, look at the chain, it's going to be really easy to verify if it's done more than 100km or not

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I don't think that's correct. I had a Cube ebike and Cube do not allow you to transfer warranties.
It might depend the country. I have it from the Bosch boss here that we have 5 years warranty on the motor, no matter if the bike is resold, as long as you have the original receipt.
I’ve been through 3 motors on one of my Rails. Usually fixed in less than
A week

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
from my experience the odometer was reset when got a replacement motor after 1700km.
so apparently only dealers can reset the odometer, but I really would not trust that, digital car odometers have been hacked or 20+ years now and it's probably not that difficult.
however, It should be really easy to see if the bike has done 100km or not. It should be free from all minor wear, no scuffing or scraping marks. one off chips and gashes to paintwork would not concern me as that could happen within the 100km. but look at the cranks, look at the tyres, look at the chain, it's going to be really easy to verify if it's done more than 100km or not
They have reset the odometer every time they change the motor on my Rail

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Most folk would be more concerned about milage recorded on motor. You can see wear and tear on bike . Motor is the weak link .

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Third motor. That's not something you often hear with Bosch. What has been the issue?

Bosch have never said what the issue is but have just replaced the motor each time. I think water may be getting into the motor somehow and getting to the electrics. I ride in the wet but never submerge the motor and don't jetwash the bike.

Last edited:

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Bosch have never said what the issue is but have just replaced the motor each time. I think water may be getting into the motor somehow and getting to the electrics. I ride in the wet but never submerge the motor and don't jetwash the bike.
Ok thanks. I too ride in the wet but not that often and very rarely does it see a hose. About 10000 ks so far done and all good to this point

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You can test the health on the Bosch batteries, but you (or a bike shop) needs a BCT-100 (0275007924)

1679990233938.png

Manual : https://www.bosch-ebike.com/fileadm...ual-CapacityTest-BCT100-MY21.pdf?_=1598970392

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles