Nyon Retrofit Upgrade

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
Just thought I’d post some info about the Bosch Nyon MY21 kit for anyone looking to upgrade.

I have/had the Smartphone Hub and while it was very good for integrating a smartphone onto the bike it did have some drawbacks.. I asked my LBS some time ago if any of the other displays could be retro fitted and they originally told me no. I didn’t follow it up, but recently the mounting of the phone onto the bike has become a bit worn and as a result keeps disconnecting and an annoying error saying the Bluetooth device may not be supported pops up and covers the screen until you dismiss it, which is virtually impossible when wearing gloves. Cue another visit to the LBS to ask if it is covered by warranty and a discussion about what is required to fit a different display. They told me that the Nyon can be retrofitted but would require dropping the motor out to run a new cable. I thought I would have a crack at this myself so I ordered a Nyon. Turns out you don’t have to drop the motor out and the cable for the Smartphone Hub fits perfectly in the back of the Nyon mount as it is designed to use the same cable. You do need to replace the remote controller with the one from the kit as the Nyon sits a bit further back on the bars and the Smartphone Hub controller cable is too short. The controller supplied with the Nyon has a slightly longer cable.

Anyway thought I’d post about it just in case it helps anyone who might be looking to swap.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Old post, but the OP is correct. You can use the already installed cable and remote to retrofit a new Nyon if your bike came with the Smart Hub set up. I switched to the Nyon back last November. A local Trek dealer gave me 10% off on a Nyon Retrofit kit. It had a $419 MSRP plus tax.

Always best to call Bosch support with install questions for Nyon compatibility with your particular model. The retrofit kit comes with a new plug and play cable that runs to the motor and a new remote. But since I don't need either of them I'm reselling the Smart Hub as a complete kit on Craigs List for $250. Works with a Bosch system.

Of course Bosch trys to get you to have a dealer install it. The install consists of unscrewing the two wires on the back of the Smart Hub and connecting those same two wires to the back of the Nyon. That's it, that's all! No firmware upgrade needed.

oceanskipper

Feb 17, 2021
North East
I did swap the thumb controller over as the one supplied with the Nyon has a slightly longer cable. The Nyon has two mounting options. On my bike I wanted the Nyon in its alternative position a bit further back on the bars so the existing cable was a bit short.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles