Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Product Image:
Nukeproof-Sam-Hill-Series-Riser-Riser-Handlebars-Black-NotSet-5056097002071.jpg

Product name: Nukeproof Sam Hill Series MTB Riser Handlebar
Price paid: £27.99 - on offer at CR
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: why on earth would you review a handlebar ????
well, if you read on, you might find out what benefits i have experienced from this small functional upgrade and in truth its more about finding the bar that has the right fit for you rather than the features of this particular bar.

-------------------------------------

SAM HILL Handlebars, 800mm width 38mm rise, 31.8 fitment, 9 degree back and 6 degree upsweep.

Comparison with Renthal. 800mm width 40mm rise, 31.8 fitment, 7 degree back and 5 degree upsweep.

Yes, this small difference in geometry has made a big difference.

Tried the standard bar on my 2020 Levo for a while, didn’t get on with it, changed it to a renthal with 40mm rise for a long time but didn’t get on with that but couldn’t figure out why but I never really felt in control of the front of the bike. I put some work into finding out and came to the conclusion that it was the backsweep that was missing / not enough of an angle so I looked around for a bar with a larger degree of backsweep.

Decided on the Sam Hill at 800 wide and when I fitted them the bike felt like it always should have, once I had removed 3 spacers (which I found odd as the bars were a very similar rise) from under the bar and cut them down to 780 I was genuinely amazed at the effect it had.

The bike is far more comfortable for me, I can get my weight where I want/need it and more noticeable in corners is that for whatever reason, the shape of the bar promotes better technique for me, the outside elbow is easier to get high as that’s now where it wants to be naturally, the front of the bike is easier to weight and I don’t feel like im going to noseplant the front tyre when I do it on a gnarly trail.
There is a noticeable difference between the original fitment, renthal and Sam Hill bars in comfort also, I've hit all the rocks and roots on the local trails and for the first time not 'noticed' the bar or grips as they are just doing what they are supposed to be doing.

All in all, a very worthwhile and cheap investment to get the bike feeling as I want it. If you feel like the bar is forcing you into a position that you don’t want to be in, its worth spending the time to find a bar/stem combo that suits you and it’s a cheap enough upgrade.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Yeah im fucked on handlebar alignment, with 2 broken collar bones in the past; so i need each side to be unique. That said renthal has worked best for me, but i def dont run them at 800 width, closer to 760-770ish.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles