Norco VLT & wired light

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Has anyone here hardwired a light to their Norco VLT yet? 2022-23?
Likely will just get one with an external battery so I can swap between bikes, but I do. like the idea of having one hardwired.

Specifically would like to use a Magic shine light but wondering how you turn off the light since they don't all have switches on them. On my giant e+ I can turn the light on/off with their controller.

Thanks!

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
I’m in the process of doing this. The internal wiring was a total bitch. I had to strip the outer rubber housing off the cable for it to fit through the narrow internal wiring/cable tunnels located in the lower down tube.
Pull your battery and look with a flashlight…it’s a bitch. Definitely would recommend an external battery.
Took a couple hours to get it all sorted out. The main issue is, Shimano has locked the “Light” function and will not allow users to toggle the light on or off. Apparently this can only be activated at a shop with a laptop and special $200 cable.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks for the response that was my fear. I have a light on my Giant e+ but it was super. Their remote had a light switch and their was a dongle in the down tube. Also, their battery drops out of the front of the drop tube so running cables was super easy.

I'll go battery. I do love that my giant light is just always with me and ready to go. A few rides I didn't plan on being night rides turned into night rides only because I had the light hardwired. I feel battery powered I'll likely not carry them most of the time.

Thanks

BowenTheSheep

Dec 14, 2021
Australia
I just got an Olight 3500, which is just a rebranded Magicshine Monteer 3500 (they didn't even bother removing the magicshine logo from the back of the light lol) and use the velcro straps to attach the battery pack to my top tube just below the power button. Works fine with a garmin mount on my handlebars, and the light is controlled with a button on top of the actual light unit.

It's not the cleanest, I have to wrap the excess cable around my headset a couple of times, but given how many freaking cables are up in my cockpit it's really a non-issue.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I ended up hitting the easy button and going with an Outbound lighting system which uses an internal battery.

I will miss the idea that the light will always work as long as I have battery life in the bike, but this just seemed more straightforward, and I can move it to other bikes in the future.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles