Non-plastic MTB Clothing

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
all my riding gear is merino, apart from my shoes, pads and helmet. It's all various brands but all very good for our extreme climate, which ranges from -10 in winter to +35c in summer so the natural climate control abilities of merino are perfect, its warm when the day is cold and cool when it gets hot. It absorbs sweat and moisture so you don't feel wet , or cold and clammy after exercise. it also locks away odour. Its amazing characteristics haven't been able to be matched by synthetics. It is worn by astronauts on the international space station, mountaineers, adventurers, though to top fashion garments for its wrinkle free properties. The most comfortable shoes in the world (allbirds) as voted by time magazine are made from merino.
merino is very sustainable for the environment, it eats grass which promotes regrowth that absorbs carbon from the atmosphere and is sequestered back into the ground. Merinos could have been a solution to mitigating the large bush fires that consumed huge areas in california and Australia- they could have been lessened by grazing the rank overgrown pastures that have been destocked over time. merino sheep are a browsing animal that is perfectly suited to extensive areas including high country land scapes. Where i live they thrive in the exact terrain we love to ride our bikes in!, often having formed some of the single tracks we follow.
i understand there are some logistical and manufacturing impacts with natural fibres (as with all materials) but i feel they are so much better for our planet than the synthetic apparel that release micro plastics every time they go through the wash.
Now where did i put the carbon fibre bike catalogue.....;)

just a few of the many companies utilizing merino

View attachment 44391
Mons all the way , be it biking or boarding ?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Well I tried Merino ..and couldn't stand it ..but I'm a really hairy hubert..
Plastic ( if that's what you want to call it ) all the way for this gorilla ..

Despite all the pundits who say otherwise, some of us just can't wear any wool, so you're not alone. I have hardly any body hair and can't wear Merino and I've tried many many times. Been given the old "but this brand has better quailty and doesn't itch" line a dozen times and ended up with hundreds of dollars of clothes I need to rip off after just a few minutes. And yes I've tried all the *best* brands and fibres.

If you react to Merino, try silk. Same properties but lighter. Ideal base layer. More expensive though.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles