Levo Gen 3 No Battery Error

WRUREFEREE

Apr 15, 2021
Wales
Hi all I’m new to EMTB and mountain biking in general.

I’ve recently purchased a Levo SL Expert and a Turbo Levo Pro 2022

After charging on the Pro I’m getting a no battery Error on the display when starting afterwards.

Checking connection and wiggling cable or pressing up button gets it to work most of the time after a few minutes. Not what you’d expect on a £11,000.00 bike

Spoken and uploaded diagnostics to store no fault found anyone else had this issue.

?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hi all I’m new to EMTB and mountain biking in general.

I’ve recently purchased a Levo SL Expert and a Turbo Levo Pro 2022

After charging on the Pro I’m getting a no battery Error on the display when starting afterwards.

Checking connection and wiggling cable or pressing up button gets it to work most of the time after a few minutes. Not what you’d expect on a £11,000.00 bike

Spoken and uploaded diagnostics to store no fault found anyone else had this issue.

?

Hi @WRUREFEREE,

Replied via direct message :)

WRUREFEREE

Apr 15, 2021
Wales
You have to make sure that you get a really good airtight seal don’t be afraid to apply pressure on the plug. This will cure the problem every time ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
By "plug" I assume you are referring to the charging point battery connection?
That is a Rosenberger plug. It is magnetic and will pull itself properly connected but it also has an "o" ring seal and if that is dirty or dry it can prevent the plug being pushed fully home. Apply a thin smear of light grease to the "o" ring being careful not to get any on the contacts surface and you will find it locks in a great deal easier.
You need also to be careful with the battery to motor plug when disconnected..........the same applies to the charger plug..........both will very readily pick up any metallic swarf etc if not protected. Both also need to be kept scrupulously clean. I cover the motor to battery plug with a cloth when charging and use a small plastic cap to cover the charger plug when not in use ( walking stick rubber ends of the right size work well for this)

jpdbr

Jul 19, 2019
Chile
I just got my 4th Levo Sworks Gen3 and on this last I got this same error. I started by changing TCU and battery between bikes with error persisting, so next step was connecting a spare replacement Levo Gen2 battery cable I have and when doing that the bike started perfectly without displaying any error. So I think you may have the same issue, which is a faulty battery cable, you need your LBS to process the warranty and get a replacement battery cable

vinnydude

Aug 3, 2021
California
I’m getting the same error - bike also shuts off randomly on rides !!! I just bought a week ago!! It’s a $12k bike … I’m so bummed ….. this has been a terrible experience with such an expensive bike.. hopefully I can get it fixed fast

8C26DA8B-0600-4790-9F59-4BB810B6DC0C.jpeg

kelvin

Jun 7, 2022
HK
Hi All,

I have same problem "No battery" with my brand new S-work turbo levo 2022, I even can't turn on once. What can I do ? Battery charging is normal, I tried to un-plug and plug all the TCU cable and battery cable but doesn't work

IMG_2034.jpg

Reactions: die

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It's a pity that specialized support here didn't want to share the fix or post publicly. That's a bit proprietary of them, especially on a forum like this aimed at enthusiastic users who are here to share their knowledge and / or seek help.

lozzyho

Aug 12, 2022
Perthshire, Scotland, UK
I get the same issue on my 2022 Comp Carbon. I've had it into the dealers, who contacted Spesh, who sent a new battery connector cable. This helped a bit, but the issue still occurs. Basically you have to fully and firmly push home the plug and it'll then work (on mine at least).

Next time it's in the shop, the mechanic is going to try a different battery. That's literally the only other thing it could be. I'm not too bothered - it's a minor inconvenience rather than a big problem, but it's a pain on an £8000 bike

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
Hi @WRUREFEREE,

Replied via direct message :)

Greetings,

i have a comp carbon 2022 as well.
Bought it on march, i've done nealry 2000 km with it since : it s a pure blast, especially in the ' terres noires from digne, in france'.
BUT, i've got a lot of this error too : 'no battery error'. And it's damn raging, when in the middle of the ride, the bike shut down with this message.
Spesh local bike shop checked it with spesh hard/software, BUT the electronic from the bike doesnt detect his own failure, says the external software from spesh ! The anomalies aren't even detected nor registered by the onboard system !
wabagadoowah ?
what am i supposed to do, or think ?
I feel a bit disapointed, and in lack of confidence in the bike, since error happens from ride to ride.
The bike remains incredible to ride, but considering the price, i was expecting a better / more adapted reaction both from LBS and especially SPECIALIZED. Arguing that Spesh software doesnt detect the failure, to do strictly NOTHING, leaves me with a taste of **** in the mouth, if you can accept and understand my point of view.
Sadly, the bike is so good that i cant imagine to ride anything else.
Except if at the end of warranty, suddenly, someone at Spesh or LBS wake up and says 'hey, just pay for a new X / Y or Z component, and it will be ok'. You read me, don't you ?

Thank you for reading, or even replying.

Best regards

lozzyho

Aug 12, 2022
Perthshire, Scotland, UK
Totally read you and totally agree. I got a video of it happening on my phone, so the shop couldn't argue. Maybe try that? End of the day, a fault is a fault, insist on your consumer rights. In your case it does sound like a bad connection in the battery or cable.

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
Totally read you and totally agree. I got a video of it happening on my phone, so the shop couldn't argue. Maybe try that? End of the day, a fault is a fault, insist on your consumer rights. In your case it does sound like a bad connection in the battery or cable.

Tried this, with a picture taken with smartphone of the TCU showing the error. No result at all, no reaction ... in the end, i'll try 'french fraud repression office'. I'll wait september / october, just to check if some neurone succeeded to connect with reality, somewhere between LBS and specialized warranty services.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
From the description above I would suspect the Rosenburg plug ....possibly affected by the heat and/or the copious amounts of fine dust our bikes are subjected to in this weather.
The connection relies on the free movement of the spring loaded pos and neg pins.
Perhaps clean the battery connection and cable connection first with a soft brush and then contact cleaner....and make sure both pins move freely.

kelvin

Jun 7, 2022
HK
Greetings,

i have a comp carbon 2022 as well.
Bought it on march, i've done nealry 2000 km with it since : it s a pure blast, especially in the ' terres noires from digne, in france'.
BUT, i've got a lot of this error too : 'no battery error'. And it's damn raging, when in the middle of the ride, the bike shut down with this message.
Spesh local bike shop checked it with spesh hard/software, BUT the electronic from the bike doesnt detect his own failure, says the external software from spesh ! The anomalies aren't even detected nor registered by the onboard system !
wabagadoowah ?
what am i supposed to do, or think ?
I feel a bit disapointed, and in lack of confidence in the bike, since error happens from ride to ride.
The bike remains incredible to ride, but considering the price, i was expecting a better / more adapted reaction both from LBS and especially SPECIALIZED. Arguing that Spesh software doesnt detect the failure, to do strictly NOTHING, leaves me with a taste of **** in the mouth, if you can accept and understand my point of view.
Sadly, the bike is so good that i cant imagine to ride anything else.
Except if at the end of warranty, suddenly, someone at Spesh or LBS wake up and says 'hey, just pay for a new X / Y or Z component, and it will be ok'. You read me, don't you ?

Thank you for reading, or even replying.

Best regards
Hi

I had found out the reason of my problem of NO battery error that is the cable defect !!! Which is brand new E-bike from S-work Turbo Leve ??? This should not be the software problem

I ordered a new cable from Specialized partner and replace my self than everything is working now. This cable cost Euro 200 !!!

Specialized MY22 LEVO MAIN WIRING HARNESS S216800018 €209,24

When you look at the defected cable that is all good and nothing wrong with outlook but I don't know why it is not work.

I had contacted the dealer as well as the Specialized but both no reply and no replacement, I need to replace at my own cost !!

My suggestion is that you may find another cable and replace the old one to try. I guess there were some defected cables installed into the new Specialized E-bikes and can't find out the problem during QC procedures

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Hi

I had found out the reason of my problem of NO battery error that is the cable defect !!! Which is brand new E-bike from S-work Turbo Leve ??? This should not be the software problem

I ordered a new cable from Specialized partner and replace my self than everything is working now. This cable cost Euro 200 !!!

When you look at the defected cable that is all good and nothing wrong with outlook but I don't know why it is not work.

I had contacted the dealer as well as the Specialized but both no reply and no replacement, I need to replace at my own cost !!

My suggestion is that you may find another cable and replace the old one to try. I guess there were some defected cables installed into the new Specialized E-bikes and can't find out the problem during QC procedures

Can I ask you why did you order a new cable instead of claiming warranty?

I had a similar issue but to me was the application saying that the cable was not properly connected. Nothing on the display. I simpy did a cable reseat and error is gone...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi

if you fit a new cable you also of course get a new rosenburger plug on the end of it! Highly unlikely the cable itself is faulty...the plug is a far more likely candidate because that is what you connect and disconnect every time you charge the bike and is most vulnerable to trail dust, mud, water etc. ps ....the battery to motor cable on Levos pre 2021 DID have a fault and you could see the reason. It was too stiff and the motor end plug would end up cracked and/or disconnected from the cable sheath allowing water ingress...........and it cost only £89 to replace ( under warranty of course!). The rosengerger plug is a good design but needs special care. It maintain good contact by being magnetic but that also means it readilly picks up any small metallic fragments if left open........the same applies to the charger plug. The design also prevents terminal damage if the connection is knocked because the spring loaded pins only partially intrude whilst other connections ( only 1 on the new Levo) merely touch.

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
Hi

Hello,

Thank you for info and sharing.
I'll try this BUT on waranty claim mode.
If it doesnt work, i'll move from spesh for my next bike (even if they dont care nor give a shit ...) and spread the information in my riders community.

Have a good ride !

Maxi J

Oct 27, 2021
Bali
Hey guys.
I have a 2021 Turbo Kenevo that after 9 months and less than 1000km, has been giving me a battery error whereby the battery simply turns off randomly and won't turn back on unless I open the connection, touch the 2 connectors on the battery side with my finger, which seems to reset it, and then close the connector. Simply opening and closing doesn't fix it, so it's not the connector as far as I can see.

I purchased the bike in Europe, and shipped it to SE ASIA (Bali) and have battled to get anyone to help with the warrantee for 3 month now.
Any help to either fix this error or who I can talk to @Specialized Rider Care would be wonderful.

1664254013880.png

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hey guys.
I have a 2021 Turbo Kenevo that after 9 months and less than 1000km, has been giving me a battery error whereby the battery simply turns off randomly and won't turn back on unless I open the connection, touch the 2 connectors on the battery side with my finger, which seems to reset it, and then close the connector. Simply opening and closing doesn't fix it, so it's not the connector as far as I can see.

I purchased the bike in Europe, and shipped it to SE ASIA (Bali) and have battled to get anyone to help with the warrantee for 3 month now.
Any help to either fix this error or who I can talk to @Specialized Rider Care would be wonderful.

View attachment 98096
its nothing to do with the battery and everything to do withthe rosenberger connection. Clean both with electrical contact cleaner and make sure the 2 spring loaded pins are free moving and that there is no debris in either. If that does not resolve the issue then the battery to motor cable may be faulty. It is easy to replace.

Maxi J

Oct 27, 2021
Bali
its nothing to do with the battery and everything to do withthe rosenberger connection. Clean both with electrical contact cleaner and make sure the 2 spring loaded pins are free moving and that there is no debris in either. If that does not resolve the issue then the battery to motor cable may be faulty. It is easy to replace.
Thank you @Mikerb I'm going to pick it up from the shop on the weekend and I'll post back here once I've gone through the process.

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
hello,

Last firmware update totally resolved the error pop-ups.
Till next time ?
All in all, the bike si so damn good .... :unsure: Too good ! They catch us with giganormaly excellent bikes, and they know it. o_O
I already fear the time when i'll need a new one, cause i know i will volontary forget all the bad to retain only the good, and let them got me again :eek:
Help me please ? :p

JFMTB

Sep 10, 2022
CA
I’m now getting a “please update” on the TCU with a turtle symbol. What is the current firmware? I connect to the Mission Control app but it doesn’t say that it is in need of an update. Has anyone else has this issue?

51831363-4A7E-45E2-A77C-5C42929C05D3.png 772C2365-4A39-4DCF-8C9D-BE7E0B4CEE66.jpeg

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Hello,

Have a look here:

It seems it requires Local Shop intervention.

die

Jan 10, 2023
rovereto, italia
Hi All,

I have same problem "No battery" with my brand new S-work turbo levo 2022, I even can't turn on once. What can I do ? Battery charging is normal, I tried to un-plug and plug all the TCU cable and battery cable but doesn't work

View attachment 89708
same issue here with turbo levo comp alloy NO battery error. Sometimes I tried to start it over and over for so many times that almost half an hour passed and the battery start working with no other issue till the next start.

Maxi J

Oct 27, 2021
Bali
same issue here with turbo levo comp alloy NO battery error. Sometimes I tried to start it over and over for so many times that almost half an hour passed and the battery start working with no other issue till the next start.
I've just gotten back from Specialized in Australia with a new motor from the error that had the bike simply turning off randomly whilst riding. showing the red line low battery and then turning off. It gradually got worse until it would only turn on for 10seconds and then turn itself off. I replaced the rosenberger connector but that didn't do it, eventually sat with the mechanic at the bike shop and literally, through a process of elimination, bypassing the TCU, cables and battery to find that it had to come from the motor. Specialized took a reading from it, and recognised that it was an error from the motor and offered me a replacement.

Good luck

die

Jan 10, 2023
rovereto, italia
No battery error it turn worst day by day till I was forced to leave the bike to my personal retailer sportissimo in modena italy.
Now I am waiting for a response but the very experienced mechanic seems to be less optimistic than usual for this particular problem. Maybe specialized will replace the motor after his checkup ..stay tuned. I will update the quest.

UPDATE: faulty TCU : Specialized replace with a new one TCU shipping it to the retailer mechanic sportissimo , now turbo levo 2022 works again

Screenshot_2023-01-06-17-51-00-045_com.specialized.turbo.jpg Screenshot_2023-01-30-09-01-49-102-edit_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles