Night Rides. What lights are you using?

djuhamman

Aug 3, 2021
Australia
To be honest, for a question like this, I would choose LED lighting. It is not expensive and very convenient because you can fit it into any corner of the room. Personally, for me, it is the most profitable option. In addition, there are so many different variations of LED lighting that my eyes are running wild every time I look at its online stores.
One of these I can call the light-iodine flashlight that you really like the comfort. It is a handheld flashlight that lasts a long time without interruption, so I choose it.

Last edited:

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
I have been using different lights over the years but have owned different Lupines for the last 12-14. They are still my favorites. I currently use a Betty on the bar and a Piko on the helmet.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Trailled Darkstar. Handmade by a guy in Texas. The light and batteries are 5 years old and still going strong.

Trailled.jpg

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I have been using different lights over the years but have owned different Lupines for the last 12-14. They are still my favorites. I currently use a Betty on the bar and a Piko on the helmet.

My problem with the Piko lights (I've owned three as they've continually raised the Lumens/light output) is that even with the optional heat sink, they can't maintain high output for an entire ride. They overheat and go into a dimmed mode. But a well made light with decent output otherwise. I just have to run them lower than max output, which kinda sucks.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
I have not been having that problem but it is pretty cool at night here, so that may be the difference. That is too bad though, and I'd expect a better design form Lupine especially. It is a tiny/light light for that light output so they may have pushed the design or lumen limit too much. I love how light it is on the helmet and with the counter-balanced battery, it is easy to forget. The Betty is a beast. I have two. My old one is from 2008 or 9 and when they first came out. That battery (they have since switched suppliers) is still going strong and retains over 90% of its original capacity.

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Long ago I abandoned all the top shelf lights. Now I use the Chinese clones. Their brightness exceeds that of most of my friend's who use lights from the big name companies. Granted, my thirty dollar lights are not finished as nicely as those that cost ten times as much, but when it's dark out, no one can tell. Most of the time I ride with the brightness turned to "medium" to extend battery life and because "high" is unnecessarily bright. Normally I ride with one on the helmet and one on the bars. Last winter I rode a couple times with a total of three lights, and it was just silly. I looked like a 747 on approach to land.

Here's my favorite. Small, light, low profile, provides a ton of light.

Last edited:

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I've gone the other way. I used cheap lights for years, but the group I've been riding with for a couple of years all use USE Exposure and that was starting to be a problem. The USE lights are simply brighter for much longer, and I was struggling to keep up with the pace they could ride at night.

I took the plunge, spent the money on a MaxxD, and I don't regret it at all. Far brighter, far better beam pattern, and battery life so that I can leave it on full (okay, reflex mode) for all off-road segments of a 3 hour ride and not worry about it. With 2 or three night rides a week, it's well worth the money. For me. Your results may vary.

I haven't replaced my Light and Motion 1000 lumen torch I use on my helmet. The battery life is not great compared to the 'proper' lights available, but I only use it intermittently on the ride, so it's good enough.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles