Next Question sram or shimano

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
So couldn’t get the rsx at the deal I wanted. So going for the 160s, which was specced with shimano Deore brakes and xt gear set, but now been changed to go eagle and guide re brakes. I could ask for the shimano equipped bike, but it’s an ex demo or go for a new sram bike!

What would you do?

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
That's totally up to personal preference. I've been happily riding Shimano my whole life and am now very happy with SRAM Guide RE and Eagle system on my Levo SL. Shimano might have a point for cheaper spares in comparison, but SRAM is cooler. :cool:

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
Tbh I’ve not got an issue with sram, have it on the current bike although it’s the nx I think.
I was also thinking that if I go sram it’ll be easier to go axs

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I have a mild preference for XT-12 over GX Eagle, but not enough to have spent any money to move my Enduro to XT from GX. I think XT is a tiny bit nicer, but only a bit.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
As above dont think about it
Crikey i run Shimano brakes on Magura rotors with Sram AXS derailleur fitted with shimano chain and cassette
I have no preference it just has to work :)

Last edited:

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
I tend to favor Sram because I like the cage lock and I tinker with my bikes a lot so the rear tire if often removed.

I have not owned Shimano above the Deore line but generic comparison between Sram and Shimano is (IMO) Shimano shifts are a bit more positive feeling in the engagement of the cogs but the throw of the shifters feels a lot longer resulting in me sometimes needing to drop down and reshift up again.

Not to go too far off topic but as it pertains to Sram I place importance on durability over weight savings which is what you are paying for with the higher tier rear mechs.

I run NX Eagle with aftermarket ceramic bearing jockey wheels and use the X01 shifter. The upper end shifters offer noticeably improved shifting with a positive feel and are adjustable for lever position. The mech and cage are bomb proof which is also why its heavy but who cares on an eMtb! Lastly if I damage the NX its not a huge financial loss as they are not very expensive new and can be found as take offs on the forums and ebay relatively cheap. Last one I bought was $50 from a LSB as a new take off part from a customer who went straight to the AXS on his new bike.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I could ask for the shimano equipped bike, but it’s an ex demo or go for a new sram bike!

What would you do?

I would go with the new SRAM as opposed to the used Shimano.. I think SRAM makes better drivetrains, and I think Shimano makes better brakes. However, I prefer Magura and Hayes brakes, but those weren't options. To be 100% honest, the difference between the two is not going to be dramatic.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles