Article Next Generation: Forestal Siryon

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Ah Bafang do the motor. This is clearly an ‘exclusive’ package for Forestal but will be interesting to see if they will team up with other bike companies. Currently for smaller manufacturers Shimano seem to be the go to.

As for the whole bike, it really shakes things up if what they claim is true. Thing is, like you Rob, it sounds a little too good to be true. However, competition is good and I hope they deliver.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Ah Bafang do the motor. This is clearly an ‘exclusive’ package for Forestal but will be interesting to see if they will team up with other bike companies. Currently for smaller manufacturers Shimano seem to be the go to.

As for the whole bike, it really shakes things up if what they claim is true. Thing is, like you Rob, it sounds a little too good to be true. However, competition is good and I hope they deliver.
They seem super confident. I wonder how well the screen / software etc works, that kind of integration requires a lot of development! And to get it down to 17.4 KG with coil shock, screen, 170mm DVO fork.... fingers crossed!

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
They seem super confident. I wonder how well the screen / software etc works, that kind of integration requires a lot of development! And to get it down to 17.4 KG with coil shock, screen, 170mm DVO fork.... fingers crossed!

Hats off to them for the vision and the ambition to deliver. They could have just had the motor and a low weight and that would have been a headline grabber alone.

It’s possible the current situation slows development in the EMTB industry this year as testing time will get impacted however, that’s across the board.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No comment on the single pivot? (Albeit with linkage). You disappoint me @Gary ?
commented enough elsewhere on (my own) rear suspension preferences.
Plenty of the fastest gravity riders in the world ride single pivot linkage actuated frames.
I'm fairly confident Forestal will have done their homework on the kinematics

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
commented enough elsewhere on (my own) rear suspension preferences.
Plenty of the fastest gravity riders in the world ride single pivot linkage actuated frames.
I'm fairly confident Forestal will have done their homework on the kinematics

Damnit man, not rising to the bait ?. I’m sure they’ve done their testing throughly as you say.

You might know this, is there a slight weight advantage in a single pivot? I suspect not but who knows.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's not a single pivot ;)
but even if it was. no. not necessarily.(too many other variables)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
From the PR:

The Forestal exclusive and patented Twin Levity suspension system is an engineering masterpiece focused on performance, riding experience and efficiency.
There are more details about it than what you can see at first sight.

Twin Levity is based on a single pivot system with key additional linkages that enhance its performance.

We take the best of all worlds, like simplicity and lightweight, and boost them with the kinematic modifications of our multi-link system. It delivers on every level, from complete custom-engineered performance to total fine-tuning of the shocks.

Twin Levity is optimized differently for every single size – so the Alpha Box frame design and Twin Levity suspension work harmoniously together. This means that a rider using a size S and a rider using an XL size will have the same weight distribution and the same riding experience, enjoying a perfectly balanced bike and the best possible suspension reactions.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I wouldn't be putting any sort of downpayment down right now on anything I couldn't see in the flesh.

I hope this bike gets to see the light of day, as it looks like a great concept.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Guess more will be known about this bike in the near future as a reviewable model will be nice. Here is what excites me:

According to Forestal, the EonDrive, which was developed in collaboration with Bafang, weighs just 1.95 kg and churns out 60 Nm of torque. This is possible thanks to a magnesium housing and the many titanium components. For comparison’s sake: The Specialized Turbo SL 1.1 motor weighs 1.9 kg and has a torque of 30 Nm.

the 3.2″ touch display integrated in the top tube show all common riding data such as battery capacity and support level, but also works as a navigation device. On top of that, the display relies on all common interfaces, such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ANT +, GPS and 4G, to communicate with external devices. An integrated acceleration and position sensor records and evaluates exciting riding data such as G-forces in berms and airtime on jumps.

I believe we will see many exciting developments in the future. WOW!

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Hmm , interesting 'spec sheet'. My initial reaction:

1. Nice idea but I think the last thing I want is a screen integrated into my bike frame. When (not if) it breaks, the entire bike goes back instead of just a separate display.
2. 4G, good for GPS but that may be a drain on battery.
3. DVO suspension seems a little low-end? Why do I never see it in tests or round-ups or on any bikes in stores?
4. The support network for this bike will likely not be mature.

At the moment everyone seems to be getting super hyped over what is essentially a computer render and lots of tech blurb. This company appears to have no track record of significance and is charging the same price as the established players.

However, I will say that this is likely a direction the industry is heading eventually, so it's good to see some actual innovation that may prompt the big players to start moving forward with similar things. :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think a lot of effort has been put into this bike, and they have been putting it through it paces in testing for a year now, so I think it will deliver on a lot of its promise - the concern for me would be the real world/day to day usability/reliability/warranty etc of such a new bike systems. Cedric Garcia is sponsored by DVO, hence the suspension tie in.

This vid is from 5 months ago

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Just watched the video. They have some serious backing for this judging by what the ‘factory’ tour and chat with Cedric reveal.

The current situation worldwide really won’t help get this off the ground though.

Also their marketing material had two other models listed.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Who wants to buy a 170mm coil bike with 60nm and 17kg

When you can buy a 12 grand 30nm Levo SL with 150mm and own brand parts.

These light powerful motors are going to be game changing in the next few years.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
These light powerful motors are going to be game changing in the next few years.
I admire your optimism considering we're only speculating about an as yet unreleased/unproven motor from a company who so far seems to have more experience in commuter bike motors. And even more so when you consider this may well be one of their first serious goes at proper mtb mid motor territory?
700g lighter and more durable than than all the current equivalent power/torque output mid mounted emtb motors? Wow! And let's face it pretty much every one of our current options has durability issues for their actual destined usege.

1*o2X_s4clVk8FaiGLL5-2WQ.jpeg

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Agreed. All I’m saying is, let’s see if the walk matches the talk. I’ve already said it sounds too good to be true.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
I admire your optimism considering we're only speculating about an as yet unreleased/unproven motor from a company who so far seems to have more experience in commuter bike motors. And even more so when you consider this may well be one of their first serious goes at proper mtb mid motor territory?
700g lighter and more durable than than all the current equivalent power/torque output mid mounted emtb motors? Wow! And let's face it pretty much every one of our current options has durability issues for their actual destined usege.

1*o2X_s4clVk8FaiGLL5-2WQ.jpeg
Electric motors are seeing record investment from all industry. I think the weight and power are a natural evolution. Reliability will always improve.

Battery tech is going to be holding everyone back but I think new graphene cells will help with that.

I'm quite happy with how my YT rides for a few years and I'm sure the kind of bikes in 2 to 3 years will be even better

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
The Aryon, from a future of transportation/technology perspective not EMTB, might have helped secure that investment. You could imagine the elevator pitch. Like tech companies, Forestal talk is big and the delivery none existent at the start. Typically it’s the US not Europe sees this kind of model of business.

All this is massive speculation though and I‘m not sure they’ll get many people to bite at the pre-order just yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles