Levo SL Gen 1 Next bike quandary….

Dicko70

Mar 25, 2023
Ashford, Kent
I’ve just sold my 2020 Hardtail Turbo Levo as I want an FSR.
For background, I’m an experienced biker, but just getting back into it after a bad crash. Fitness wise I’m pretty fit for a 53 year old!
Anyway, I’ve loved the Levo hardtail and I also had it de—restricted for that little bit extra, but even so spend most of my time in Eco or Trail, rarely using turbo except for maybe very steep climbs.
I thought I wanted an SL, but having read up a little more, I’m concerned that the with the less powerful motor, I’m going to be in turbo a lot more just to keep up with mates on their Giants and Treks, and therefore chew through the battery. I know I could get a range extender but I was thinking that was more for longer days, not just keeping up. Also, I get that the SL is lighter and therefore effort is less etc, but my head is spinning now.

So, now I’m thinking of a full fat Levo FSR with the 2. motor as opposed to the 1.1 of the SL.
Ill be buying second hand so won’t have the joy of long test rides to compare the two etc so would welcome comments from anyone who has gone from one to the other or who has both flavours?
Any advice welcome, thanks

fodmtb

Sep 4, 2018
Forest of Dean
Im on a Kenevo SL these days after riding full fat kenevo's over the last few years. Its defiantly a personal thing on what you like/want best out of you rides. If you're mainly a group rider and think / concerned you might find it hard to keep up with your mates, then yes thats a vaild point for you. So go with your gut feeling and get another full fat . Shame you can't demo both for abit and find out . Im almost 50 now , but don't mind working a bit harder to keep up on the SL . The reward on the downs is my favorite part .

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Hi,
I bought a Kenevo SL as my first Ebike, I’m also early 50’s and reasonably fit. Going from analogue to the SL motor it felt great. I am always first up the hills with my mates when on analogue. However they are on Orbea Rise’s now and I just about stick with them. On a long climb they now edge away from me. So yes a definite power difference.
I would say it really depends on who you ride with and what they are on. On my own the SL feels and handles great. Range is good, but the motor is noisy. With a range extender it is coming in at 21.5 kg so not so light, it is set up with inserts and proper tyres though. It is an awesome bike though and way beyond my abilities.
I have recently got a Levo and now ride at 20-30% mostly which seems to equate to trail on my mates rises at their lower settings 45ish Nm. I think coming from analogue to SL is great, but coming from a FF to a SL would be difficult. Specialized have great discounts and too many bikes at the moment so really try to get a ride a ride on both.
I only mind the weight on the Levo sticking it in the van or lifting over gates.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles