Newbie with battery charger question

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
Just got my first E-bike. Shimano STEPS E8000 system. B8035 battery, and BC 6002. I can't find a clear answer by looking at Shimano's web site, or Googling.

Once the battery is fully charged, the LED light goes out on the charger. Does this mean the charger has actually shut off and not still putting a charge into the battery?

I usually ride at night and when I get home, I put the charger on the bike. If it goes out around, say, 2:00 am. does the charger actually stop charging at that point? I don't want to fry my expensive battery by over charging it, but it would suck to have to get up in the middle of the night to remove the charger.

Thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

net wurker

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2019
Huntsville, AL USA
Thanks, good thought. Mostly I drive to the trailhead, about half an hour, so I guess that is sufficient cool-down time? I'll have to keep this in mind after neighborhood blasts, though.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeh I think I nuked a battery after whacking it on charge after a very demanding climb

You'd think the controller would inhibit the charging under those circumstances, it knows the battery temperature. I know my tool batteries will refuse to charge when they're still too hot from just being used hard, even the cheap copy ones. The charger throws up an error state and you have to let them cool off.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles