newbie from ohio

Gkyle840

Aug 2, 2020
Ohio
Hey all! I am just starting to get interested in EMTB and am getting ready to build my second one. I currently have a huffy night hawk that I added a 1000w hub to and have been riding around for the past month. I have definitely decided I need to upgrade as the huffy provides a pretty poor ride.

Reap3r

Jul 6, 2020
Pennsylvania
I’ve been exactly there recently. I built my own 14s4p battery and got a nice set of bars on an older Schwinn mountain bike. But it still rode rough as hell.

I wanted to upgrade the mountain part of my mountain bike so I started looking into converting a full suspension bike. Once I realized the compromises I would need to make to build an actual comparable emtb, I ended up ordering a 2021 levo comp.

Due to the design of bikes and hub motors, you’ll never (easily) be able to run a rear hub motor on full suspension, and front hub motor is not good for a mountain bike either. Upgrading a “good” Hardtail I don’t think is going to give you all that much more performance than what you have now. In the end I regret nothing and can’t wait for the Levo to get here.

Gkyle840

Aug 2, 2020
Ohio
That Levo looks like an awesome bike!
I am not ready to spend that much until I have ridden for a year or so and know for sure it's something I am going to stick with.

When I said my huffy had a poor ride, I meant more than just the ride quality itself. The brakes have issues, I can't really pedal it as both derailers need replaced and the front sprocket is bent. I would like to get a decent bike to convert to electric before making a huge purchase.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles