new Trance or 2020 Trance E+

wamtb

Apr 27, 2022
Perth
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but Im looking at buying a 2020 Trance E+ (bought late 2019). It is in excellent condition, battery 95% and less than 1000km, mainly on road. The 2020 is $4000, compared to around $9000 in Australia for a new 2022. My question is; Am I crazy to buy the older bike, given the changes in technology? And can it be upgraded in meaningful ways over time? I have $4k cash, but $9k will involve selling one of my children (or at least borrowing money from my wife, which would be worse than the child auction).

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
It really depends on what you want to do. $4000, while not cheap is a good entry as your first eBike. Sure a 2022 will get you better geo and improved motor/battery tech but even a machine bought today will be dated in a couple of years, the market is moving that fast. The current Giants Trance and Reign are a bit overweight as the market inches back to 20kg approx as optimal weight. The current Trance weighs as much as the Reign which doesn't make much sense.

I'd say get the 2020, then in couple of years you will be well positioned to upgrade to a really well resolved machine.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
The 2020 will be probably out of warranty by now so factor in just in case the motor fails for a new 1 which could be £1k.
Always the risk you take

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I had that bike for two years (Trance 2020) and upgraded it to 2022 Reign. Your question is a though one… there is no right or wrong answer, it really depends…
The 2020 Trance E+ is a good strong bike, especially if is has not been ridden much. Bought late 2019 means it probably has a 500Wh battery, is this enough for your program? It has 27.5” wheels, which is fine, depending again on your intended use. The motor is 80 vs 85Nm but quite frankly that difference is not noticeable. Geometry is good for trail & general riding, not so much for downhill.
Riding an e-bike now vs waiting another year? That’s the easy part…
Good luck! 👍

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I would buy the 2020
Tech hasnt moved that much to make a 5K difference
And now versus sometime in the future for riding no brainer
Also my mate has a 2019 and its going really well and has a right kicking.

Kary

Jun 30, 2020
Carson City, NV
I am fortunate to have both a 2020 and a 2022 Trance. For most (90%) of the riding I do locally (Carson City, NV) there is not much difference. However, when I ride more technical trails (Downieville, Tahoe area) the 2022 Trance has better ground clearance and handling. The 2022 also has a better stack height then the 2020. I went to Salsa BMX style bars on the 2020 to get the handlebar height where it feels comfortable. As far as power and weight I don't really feel a difference. I do like 29" wheels better.

IMG_3759.JPG IMG_4705.JPG

wamtb

Apr 27, 2022
Perth
It really depends on what you want to do. $4000, while not cheap is a good entry as your first eBike. Sure a 2022 will get you better geo and improved motor/battery tech but even a machine bought today will be dated in a couple of years, the market is moving that fast. The current Giants Trance and Reign are a bit overweight as the market inches back to 20kg approx as optimal weight. The current Trance weighs as much as the Reign which doesn't make much sense.

I'd say get the 2020, then in couple of years you will be well positioned to upgrade to a really well resolved machine.
Thank you.

wamtb

Apr 27, 2022
Perth
Thank you for the excellent responses. I have decided to go with the older bike, but treat it as a two year option and go new after that. I'm pretty short so the 27.5 wheel size works well for me.

emtbeginner

Dec 15, 2023
Australia
Hi Kary

I'm doing research on 2020 TRANCE PRO.I'd be appreciated if you can lead me a hand and questions are listed below.(amazing rhythm😎)
①the owner and me are both emtb noobs so I'm not able to know the distance it runs and the battery healthy condition, what operation should be taken to get to it?
②I'be seen the photos you posted and noticed the sticker colour of fox36 is yellow, but the one I saw was black,Is it due to batch or regional difference?
③the motor is yamaha pw-x or pw-x2? I have concerns about the durability of the motor as it has exceeded the two-year warranty period
Thanks for you experience!

I am fortunate to have both a 2020 and a 2022 Trance. For most (90%) of the riding I do locally (Carson City, NV) there is not much difference. However, when I ride more technical trails (Downieville, Tahoe area) the 2022 Trance has better ground clearance and handling. The 2022 also has a better stack height then the 2020. I went to Salsa BMX style bars on the 2020 to get the handlebar height where it feels comfortable. As far as power and weight I don't really feel a difference. I do like 29" wheels better.

View attachment 102400 View attachment 102401

Kary

Jun 30, 2020
Carson City, NV
Hi Kary

I'm doing research on 2020 TRANCE PRO.I'd be appreciated if you can lead me a hand and questions are listed below.(amazing rhythm😎)
①the owner and me are both emtb noobs so I'm not able to know the distance it runs and the battery healthy condition, what operation should be taken to get to it?
②I'be seen the photos you posted and noticed the sticker colour of fox36 is yellow, but the one I saw was black,Is it due to batch or regional difference?
③the motor is yamaha pw-x or pw-x2? I have concerns about the durability of the motor as it has exceeded the two-year warranty period
Thanks for you experience!
Hello,
1, With the 500wH battery in eco mode you can get 40 miles and about 3000ft of climbing out of it.
2, I put the yellow stickers on the fork. It came with black
3, It is a pw-x. Mine has been flawless. I have seen issues with water getting into the motor but I do not ride in those extremely wet conditions. I think all brands of e-bikes have their issues, but I do not think that Giant is any worse.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles