New to emtb

Audioi

Jan 4, 2024
UpState NY
Had many trail bikes over the years but now aging and moving into e-bikes. Mostly for fire roads and easy trails. Looking for advice on what to look at?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Whichever type of e-bike you buy or have, suspension can be important. A hardtail may be suitable for fire roads, easy trails, and even as a commuter. A full suspension eMTB can easily do it all, but it’s a bit heavier and can be more expensive/complicated.

Hub drive ebikes are suitable as a commuter IMO. I prefer a mid-drive motor on both my FS and HT eMTB’s.

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
Had many trail bikes over the years but now aging and moving into e-bikes. Mostly for fire roads and easy trails. Looking for advice on what to look at?
Your budget will also be a big factor. A lot of these bicycles cost more than my moto bikes.
I am also an aging (57yo) moto guy. Plus I moved out of VT and lost all my riding buddies. And here I have to haul my moto bikes somewhere to ride them. So I got an (inexpensive) eMTB to ride the trails from my house (that don't allow moto). I have a non-powered MTB but the climb to the cell tower is too much for me to pedal up without help. The mid-drive is really great at getting me up there. Then I get the single-track downhill.
I'm enjoying it a lot. It scratches the woods riding itch. But I don't see myself spending "moto" money on a bicycle.
Maybe if I actually quit moto and sell those bikes. But I doubt it.

Last edited:

WH400

Jan 5, 2024
Birmingham, AL
I did the switch to an emtb and love it. I am 59 years old and recovering from long covid (3 years of it). Anyway, you are in a great price range. There are several bikes out there that are former demo bikes or just on sale in that range. I bought my Specialized Turbo Levo (which wins a lot of awards annually) for $3,200 as a former demo bike. Would have been $6k new. My same LBS is selling Rocky Mountain ebikes, which I like the looks of a lot, and the specs, on sale right now for $4,300 brand new. So read the reviews, rent a few different bikes, and then figure out what you want.
I love e mountain biking as I tell my friends - all the things you hate about mountain biking (huge hills, super hard climbs, etc.) no longer exist and the fun parts just get better (going downhill, flying along a trail) because all the wonderful weight is low to the ground and you can just fly.
Find a bike and just ride it, you are going to love it!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles