New to ebikes

Splime738

Nov 8, 2021
kawasaki
Just ordered my first ebike an M10 Rise, gone for a large after looking at various comments and Orbea size chart, I normally ride a medium Santa Cruz Tallboy. Just wondering about charging, do people fully recharge after every ride even if you have had a short ride. Also how are the Rises with the uk mud and puddles any issues or areas that need water proofing?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Welcome to the emtb forum. :)

You will very soon get used to how far you can go on a charge on the trails you ride

Batteries do best when stored at 50%-80%. When I get back home, I have a look at the level of charge. If it's below 50% I give it an hour of charge which always puts it in the zone. If it's above 50% I leave it. Batteries charge more in the first hour than any subsequent hour.

Before the next ride, I either fully charge the night before, or if I think I have time, the morning of the ride. If the charge is at the low end of the range, I might give it another hour or so the night before and compete the charge in the morning. But I'm not anal about it.

If you have a big battery and a load of range, then if you are only planning a few short rides, don't bother charging before your ride at all. Just try not to store the bike outside the 50-80% band.

Be aware that I have seen advice that for maximum battery life, never fully charge it nor fully exhaust it. I have no idea by how much that extends the life of battery, but I don't do that and I don't know anyone else that does either. although that statement may smoke a few out.

On my first emtb the Shimano instructions said to exhaust the battery at least every six months or so (which sounds like good advice to me). They also said how long the battery should last and what capacity it would still have after 1000 charges. You don't see that information in new Shimano publications anymore.

Splime738

Nov 8, 2021
kawasaki
Welcome to the emtb forum. :)

You will very soon get used to how far you can go on a charge on the trails you ride

Batteries do best when stored at 50%-80%. When I get back home, I have a look at the level of charge. If it's below 50% I give it an hour of charge which always puts it in the zone. If it's above 50% I leave it. Batteries charge more in the first hour than any subsequent hour.

Before the next ride, I either fully charge the night before, or if I think I have time, the morning of the ride. If the charge is at the low end of the range, I might give it another hour or so the night before and compete the charge in the morning. But I'm not anal about it.

If you have a big battery and a load of range, then if you are only planning a few short rides, don't bother charging before your ride at all. Just try not to store the bike outside the 50-80% band.

Be aware that I have seen advice that for maximum battery life, never fully charge it nor fully exhaust it. I have no idea by how much that extends the life of battery, but I don't do that and I don't know anyone else that does either. although that statement may smoke a few out.

On my first emtb the Shimano instructions said to exhaust the battery at least every six months or so (which sounds like good advice to me). They also said how long the battery should last and what capacity it would still have after 1000 charges. You don't see that information in new Shimano publications anymore.
Thanks Steve, will take that on board, when charging

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Splime,

The Orbea Rise owner's manual is called the "Bluebook." There's a lot of really useful information in the manual. I do think they need to add a section titled "My wife won't let me ride, my kid's got soccer practice, my yard looks like crap, I wanna ride, what do I do? Here's a link to the manual if you wish to check it out or download the manual.
The Rise's owner's manual states to never charge the battery for more than five hours. I bought a outlet timer on Amazon that automatically shuts the charger off at a pre-set time. I adjust the timer/charging time depending upon the battery level.

I admittedly don't know squat about battery charging practices. Personally, I don't over think it. I fully charge my bike after each ride. I try to ride (See the above reference to the wife) three to four times a week. My rides average between 16 miles to 28 miles in length, with between 2,500 and 3,600 feet of climbing. I'll do more when I can finally get my hands on a Range Extender. I fully charge my bike after each ride because I don't want an 80% charge level on my bike at the trailhead to dictate how far I can ride that day. If I wear the battery out, and I plan to, I'll buy another one.

Splime738

Nov 8, 2021
kawasaki
Splime,

The Orbea Rise owner's manual is called the "Bluebook." There's a lot of really useful information in the manual. I do think they need to add a section titled "My wife won't let me ride, my kid's got soccer practice, my yard looks like crap, I wanna ride, what do I do? Here's a link to the manual if you wish to check it out or download the manual.
The Rise's owner's manual states to never charge the battery for more than five hours. I bought a outlet timer on Amazon that automatically shuts the charger off at a pre-set time. I adjust the timer/charging time depending upon the battery level.

I admittedly don't know squat about battery charging practices. Personally, I don't over think it. I fully charge my bike after each ride. I try to ride (See the above reference to the wife) three to four times a week. My rides average between 16 miles to 28 miles in length, with between 2,500 and 3,600 feet of climbing. I'll do more when I can finally get my hands on a Range Extender. I fully charge my bike after each ride because I don't want an 80% charge level on my bike at the trailhead to dictate how far I can ride that day. If I wear the battery out, and I plan to, I'll buy another one.
Thanks Rod, I will have a look at the Bluebook, bike is a couple of weeks away apparently. I would of thought that these days with intelligent chargers it would be quite simple plug it in and when fully charged they go into a trickle/maintenance charge just like your car battery charger, sounds complicated, just hope the batteries aren't too sensitive

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I have a Rise with extender.

My primary trail system is 30km long and secondary is 17km long.
On the primary trail I need the extender to complete it....on my secondary I go without the extender.

The extender will be used first, and then the bike's battery will be used.
From extender to bike battery is seemless...you don't feel that the extender is used up.

I fully charge all every time, and go 3 times a week all year.

The charger is 2amp, so it charges quite slow, which is good for the battery.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
My Rise gets very muddy and wet (NW England\Pennines) and I don't do anything to protect it and have done over 400 Miles on it in a few months. I tend not to wash it after most rides but just brush the dried mud off and maybe wash after every 5th ride.

Love this bike!

Not as powerful as a full fat but because it is lighter, I get the same range which is about 25 Miles or so with 3000' of climbing and can add at least 50% with my range extender.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles