New SRAM bleed kit

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any recommendations for SRAM bleed kits?

My last bike wasn't SRAM, I have to find a new kit (I have lost my old one and also haven't used it in ages)

Anyone got any recommendations?
I just a look online and I could either get a third party one for 20 quid or a sram one for 70

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I just a look online and I could either get a third party one for 20 quid or a sram one for 70

It totally pisses me off to pay 50-100 bucks for a couple of junky syringes and tubing from that country that makes nothing but trash. So I shop on Amazon and pay half that for junky syringes and tubing from that country that makes nothing but trash.

I like the syringes that have screw-on fittings, rather than just a tapered nozzle. Get those if you can. Do your SRAM brakes use the Bleeding Edge adapter? If so, you'll either have to buy a SRAM kit that includes it, or buy the Bleeding Edge adapter separately. I've not seen a cheap knock-off of the adapter.

I'm not a huge fan of SRAM brakes, but their Bleeding Edge system is sheer genius. It makes the job a breeze. I wish other brake manufacturers would license the Bleeding Edge from SRAM. It's grrrrrreat.

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
It totally pisses me off to pay 50-100 bucks for a couple of junky syringes and tubing from that country that makes nothing but trash. So I shop on Amazon and pay half that for junky syringes and tubing from that country that makes nothing but trash.

I like the syringes that have screw-on fittings, rather than just a tapered nozzle. Get those if you can. Do your SRAM brakes use the Bleeding Edge adapter? If so, you'll either have to buy a SRAM kit that includes it, or buy the Bleeding Edge adapter separately. I've not seen a cheap knock-off of the adapter.

I'm not a huge fan of SRAM brakes, but their Bleeding Edge system is sheer genius. It makes the job a breeze. I wish other brake manufacturers would license the Bleeding Edge from SRAM. It's grrrrrreat.
Alright thank you :) I'll have a look into it

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use the Epic bleed kit which includes the Bleeding Edge adaptor...c £25. My current kit is 3 years old and still works fine. Epic do kits for SRAM and Shimano...and the kit includes a full instruction sheet.
I have no idea why some think SRAM brakes are difficult to bleed. For me its a 15 minute job a couple of times a year and bleeding edge has made it even easier.

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Screenshot_2023-03-04-21-05-23-718_com.miui.home.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think one mistake folk make when bleeding brakes is not taking into account that the range of piston movement in the calliper when pads are in place is very small and the pistons are permanently pushed quite far out of the calliper. Compare that to the situation when bleeding the brakes, where the pistons are pushed right back into the calliper by the bleed block. The way to avoid any problems with the pistons then sticking when trying to return to the further out position with the pads in place, is to clean and lube the pistons before starting the bleed process. This is applicable to both front and rear brakes but the rear calliper is far more likely to get blasted with water, mud and dust on a regular basis whilst the front calliper enjoys a more protected position behind the fork leg and is positioned vertically ( nearly) rather than horizontal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles