New Spectral On

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Owning two e mountainbikes one with Shimano motor and one with new Bosch motor I disagree. Same technical climb on Shimano is more difficult and biggest difference is the lag of the motor. You can live with it if you don’t know better. When you learn to use the direct assistance of new Bosch motor there’s no going back to Shimano.
Hmm... I'm not a Chris Akrigg but I never had an issue with E8000 lag on technical climbs and I'm riding it for two years. I don't even use Boost mode because I find it too instant I don't like the motor overrun but it's smooth and perfectly controllable in Trail mode. Also, the gen 4 has a 24T ratchet in the motor - opposed to the E8000's instant engagement - so it negates a fast rear hub and I'd find that more problematic on techy stuff.
I haven't ridden the gen 4 other than a parking lot test but this guy compared it very good and based on this I'd stick with E8000 even today... and no customization in the Bosch is an other negative for me...

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
That same lag is not only in initial engagement but also when you stop pedaling and motor is supposed to stop assisting. It’s even more evident then. Like said that makes Boost mode on Shimano very difficult to control in any other than low settings. I agree impact of this lag gets lower the less assistance one uses with Shimano.

I have seen the video, I don’t think the part comparing pedal movement on tarmac is a good simulation of real trail conditions. Bosch assistance is dynamic and changes depending how fast you pedal or how much power do you put on the ground.

This is my experience after 2000km’s on Shimano and 500km’s on new Bosch. Everyone has their own and feel free to disagree.

Bosch has an app for adjusting if Kiox display is used.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Mehh, they are all good motors, for me if its a Shimano or a Bosch just stick it in Trail or EMTB mode and go ride. I prefer the Shimano, but that's because (AS @Gary says) I have put 4000 plus miles on them, and I am tuned in to how they ride, and I have yet to ride another motor which gives me the same level of control over inputs and is as predictable (again because I am so use to it).

Cant even remember the last time I used boost, not just on the shimano, but any EMTB - using the gearing correctly and technique with a lower power are far better at getting up steep and technical stuff IMO.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
That same lag is not only in initial engagement but also when you stop pedaling and motor is supposed to stop assisting. It’s even more evident then. Like said that makes Boost mode on Shimano very difficult to control in any other than low settings. I agree impact of this lag gets lower the less assistance one uses with Shimano.

I have seen the video, I don’t think the part comparing pedal movement on tarmac is a good simulation of real trail conditions. Bosch assistance is dynamic and changes depending how fast you pedal or how much power do you put on the ground.

This is my experience after 2000km’s on Shimano and 500km’s on new Bosch. Everyone has their own and feel free to disagree.

Bosch has an app for adjusting if Kiox display is used.
Yeah, we all have our preferences...
I just never experienced the ‘lag’ with E8000. Trail mode is also dynamic in Shimano systems and the customization doesn’t require a display upgrade, you can do it on all of their models.

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
Yeah, we all have our preferences...
I just never experienced the ‘lag’ with E8000. Trail mode is also dynamic in Shimano systems and the customization doesn’t require a display upgrade, you can do it on all of their models.
All modes in Shimano work exactly the same way if you change the assistance numbers to be the same. There are nothing dynamic in any of them. Try yourself with Emax or similar.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No trail mode is dynamic, it reacts to your inputs in a similar way that Bosch EMTB mode does

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Like said that makes Boost mode on Shimano very difficult to control in any other than low settings

it's really not difficult to control at all.
Not if you actually spend a little time learning how it behaves

Sounds to me like a case of bad workman blaming his tool.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
All modes in Shimano work exactly the same way if you change the assistance numbers to be the same. There are nothing dynamic in any of them. Try yourself with Emax or similar.

You clearly haven't tried this yourself so why are you asking others to?

Without even bothering to use emax, simply setting boost to low and trail to High (close enough in output assistance levels) the difference in how each mode reacts to rider power/torque/cadence is blatantly obvious.
Assistance on the E8000 cuts in and out more subtly but in trail mode assistance output differs dependant on pedalling torque/cadence. similarly to the Bosch (but obviously not the same). I genuinely prefer the more subtle characteristics of the Shimano while you clearly prefer the more obvious Bosch.
To me this just backs up that despite your 1200/300 miles on each motor you still have no idea what you're talking about and that your failings while using the E8000 over the Bosch is much more of a rider issue rather than a motor one.
You've made it clear YOU "prefer" the motor behaviour of your Bosch and that's absolutely fine but please now stop harping on and on about failings that simply aren't there.

As hinted on earlier by @Tamas. Are you even aware what engagement each of your rear hubs on your two bikes has?

Last edited:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Only thing I hate about shimano is the noise hope they address this in the new one. New Bosch is also too noisy for me

about the new Spectral is a bit surprising that Canyon still keeps with that geometry, for be an generalistic brand if you allow me the term the bike is well defined and not another clone 29er infinity chainstays big battery etc. Even when they got the Neuron for that. They took their risks many proper enduro brands offer more civilized Ebikes than this Canyon

Last edited:

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
about the new Spectral is a bit surprising that Canyon still keeps with that geometry, for be an generalistic brand if you allow me the term the bike is well defined and not another clone 29er infinity chainstays big battery etc. Even when they got the Neuron for that. They took their risks many proper enduro brands offer more civilized Ebikes than this Canyon

I think they are developing a Torque:ON for 2021 or 2022.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles