New rider vancouver island

starbuck

Jun 20, 2020
Victoria
Hi. Newbie eMTB here. Thinking of getting a Levo but not sure what the rules are for use on the trails on Vancouver island. Trailforks suggests only a few trails are open for eMTB. Is this strictly true. Any advice would be helpful.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Hi. Newbie eMTB here. Thinking of getting a Levo but not sure what the rules are for use on the trails on Vancouver island. Trailforks suggests only a few trails are open for eMTB. Is this strictly true. Any advice would be helpful.

From the Lower Mainland and haven't been to the Island yet with the ebike (by my in-laws live north of Parksville so aiming to check out some of it when we're visiting at some point).

On Crown land, class 1 e-bikes are considered the same as any normal MTB (and the Levo is Class 1). Class 2 and 3 face restrictions. That's true on both BC Parks and Recreation and Trails BC land. Generally speaking, everywhere I've ridden on our side of the water, the same rules are in effect. That is how most of the land managers and mtb associations are approaching the issue.

starbuck

Jun 20, 2020
Victoria
that's really helpful thanks. I thought it probably wasn't an issue. just need to find a Levo now. they seem to be pretty hard top come by on the Island!

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
that's really helpful thanks. I thought it probably wasn't an issue. just need to find a Levo now. they seem to be pretty hard top come by on the Island!
I think Levos (Reg & SL) are hard to come by everywhere these days.
I managed to demo both and thought they are great bikes.
The SL is so much lighter and agile but once you get the feel of the torque on the Reg Levo.. wow. And I don’t just mean Turbo (Boost) mode.

Out of curiosity, how many EMTBs have you tried or got a close look at?

starbuck

Jun 20, 2020
Victoria
I think Levos (Reg & SL) are hard to come by everywhere these days.
I managed to demo both and thought they are great bikes.
The SL is so much lighter and agile but once you get the feel of the torque on the Reg Levo.. wow. And I don’t just mean Turbo (Boost) mode.

Out of curiosity, how many EMTBs have you tried or got a close look at?

starbuck

Jun 20, 2020
Victoria
I have a Giant Fathom-E eMTB hard tail which I bought for XC and is great but I have tried some more challenging runs (blue/black) at MTB parks as well and liked it! I'm no expert but the hard tail struggled on the more tech stuff, but is obviously good on the downhill. So I figure I should get a bit more serious and get a full suspension. The Levo is top of the list based on reviews. Norco is another possibility.

Kinger

Jun 22, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I have a Giant Fathom-E eMTB hard tail which I bought for XC and is great but I have tried some more challenging runs (blue/black) at MTB parks as well and liked it! I'm no expert but the hard tail struggled on the more tech stuff, but is obviously good on the downhill. So I figure I should get a bit more serious and get a full suspension. The Levo is top of the list based on reviews. Norco is another possibility.
I just bought the 2020 Norco Sight VLT C2 29.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
-Jeff

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles