new Rail 9 but dropper post wont go down

Spookyrider

Sep 20, 2020
York
Hi guys,

Just got a new Rail 9 but I'm having an issue with the dropper. When the bike came the seatpost was pretty much fully extended out & the dropper all the way down. The dropper rose out when the lever was pressed albeit the lever wasn't as smooth or easy as I would imagine, but now it wont go back down.

At first I thought it was the excess cable in the motor are so I tried to manipulate that through but it's tight so didn't want to pull. Law of things says I must pull the excess through but don't want to be heavy handed.

Anyone got any ideas before I ring the place I got it?

Cheers, Shane

Last edited:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I think what may have happened is when you have pushed the seatpost down you have coiled the cable inside the tube or the barrel on the end of the cable may have come off the actuator. I found with mucking around when installing a new one is you have to remove the battery, loosen the cable clamps inside the frame & guide the cable backwards to check the seatpost end or forwards as you reinsert the seatpost to get it so it works properly. Not hard to do but a bit time consuming. It may be tight under the motor but you should be able to move the cable forwards or backwards

Spookyrider

Sep 20, 2020
York
Hi Doug,

I think you could be right, it's definitely still attached to something but just does not feel right at all & the post isn't working. I'll have a look at the weekend & hopefully loosening the clamps will allow me to pull it through as you suggest.

Many thanks, Shane

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sounds like you have an Upper instead ?

@Doug Stampfer sounds spot on.

It's similar with the old Kenevo (except the battery drops down/forwards, rather than sideways). As he says with popping the cable out of the clamps. You might also need to unclip/detatch the cable from the lever end as you'll need enough cable at the seat tube end to be able to re-attach it to the removed dropped post before slowly and carefully re-inserting and pulling the cable back through the battery area.

You might get enough length (spare cable) by just turning the bars to the right and pulling the spare cable from there into the battery area to get you re-connected, without the need to disconnect from the lever.

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
I had a similar situation with my Rail, and, as Doug suggested, the cable had indeed coiled within the tube.
Slackened the retaining clamps in the battery compartment and managed to push/pull it through. It was very tight though, there’s obviously not a lot of clearance where it goes past the motor.

Spookyrider

Sep 20, 2020
York
Hey folks,

Thanks so much for the answers, just had a look now when I got home, couldn't wait till the weekend & sure enough it had popped out. Managed to fish it through & refit it, dropper post feels like it should, lovely & smooth now. Never worked on that first push so must have been built like that.

Happy days peeps, thanks again

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles