New Rail 5's and cable routing.

Nick69

Feb 24, 2021
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire
Hi all. We've just received our Rail 5's this week, our first venture into ebikes. The first thing I want to do is change the brakes and the dropper. I know its going to be a major pain but I've been doing all my own bike mechanics for years, so how hard can it be... ??
I've changed the dropper on the first, not too bad, left the original outer in place and fed new inner through.
The two bikes seem different though, the first has exposed cables under the battery, the second has some kind metal cover over the cables, making moving the cables impossible without undoing the battery connectors top and bottom and taking this cover out.
Any tips on the whole precedure, especially the brake hoses, before I dive in and start dropping motors, battery connectors and feeding cables the wrong way.... ?
Cheers
Nick

IMG_20210224_100826.jpg

IMG_20210224_100833.jpg

IMG_20210224_100857.jpg

IMG_20210224_100903.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I did what you are doing.

Only real way it to drop the motor, remove the metal cable guide (I believe this is to reduce cable slap / noise when riding) and fit this way. Its a proper fiddle / faff to get it all done but much easier removing it all to get the cables correctly routed.

Nick69

Feb 24, 2021
Cheers for the reply Rob.
Yeah, I'll just have to stop the motor then...
Do you disconnect the wiring too or just prop the motor up somehow still attached ..?
What about the battery connector / mounts..? If I move or remove them, I presume I'll have to realign the battery... ??
So much more hassle than an analogue bike but hopefully worth it....
I haven't even started on the minefield of rear shocks and mounts yet.. ??

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Cheers for the reply Rob.
Yeah, I'll just have to stop the motor then...
Do you disconnect the wiring too or just prop the motor up somehow still attached ..?
What about the battery connector / mounts..? If I move or remove them, I presume I'll have to realign the battery... ??
So much more hassle than an analogue bike but hopefully worth it....
I haven't even started on the minefield of rear shocks and mounts yet.. ??
I dropped the whole motor (unplugged cables from main unit) and worked on it with motor removed. If you don't remove it completely you'll have to get an assistant to hold the motor whilst you're routing the cables.

I followed battery alignement procedure afterwards but it didnt really need it to be honest.

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
so no way to replace the tektro with xt on my own without invalidating the warranty touching the motor

chamaruco

Inactive Member
Dec 28, 2020
Arezzo
May be I’m just concerned. Nothing else I have to view it. Now I’m waiting for the bike. But I have my xt ready to be mounted on it.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Taking notes @Nick69 Have never had a bike with a dropper before and super happy to have one now, especially on such a large bike, but why are so many riders unhappy with the stock unit? Have new rail 7 and don't know any different. Think the 5 and 7 use the same one. Just curious? As for the brakes, haven't even been off road yet and think that's a prolly a good idea.

Nick69

Feb 24, 2021
Taking notes @Nick69 Have never had a bike with a dropper before and super happy to have one now, especially on such a large bike, but why are so many riders unhappy with the stock unit? Have new rail 7 and don't know any different. Think the 5 and 7 use the same one. Just curious? As for the brakes, haven't even been off road yet and think that's a prolly a good idea.
They were only 130mm droppers on our medium Rail 5's, way too short. I've swapped them out for 180mm and 210mm Oneup Components droppers, so we can get the saddles right down and out the way.

Last edited:

Doug_m

Jan 28, 2020
Aberdeenshire
I replaced the stock brakes on my Rail 5 without dropping the motor.
I used the hose I was removing to guide my new hose through, ends taped together with electrical insulation tape. Slowely fed and pulled a small amount at a time ??.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles