new in here!

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
Hi Rob

thank you for asking. Hm, its an amazing bike but - coming from a haibike nduro with minion dhf 2.5 dhf dd/dhr2 2.4 dh casing and having the Mm sg 2.4 on my spec enduro I dont like:

1. the 2.6 butcher tyres (I changed from 2.8 tp 2.6 because the 2.8 on the test bikes felt a bit spongy and inprecise) which feel bad concerning grip and traction on steep trails compared to the tyres above. This is really a problem which we have to solve. Such a great bike but without good grip ...

2. the brake starts quieking after appx 200 m altitude difference (but Im a very cautious driver) - however the Magura Mt5 on the haibike nduro made 1000 altitude meter without any noise. Will switch to the mt5 or mt 7 again.

What I am not sure about is if I should stay at 2.6 oder change to 2.8
Main request is if I should take the MM ultrasoft dh case or the Minion 2.6.
To avoid tyre breakdown, snakebites etc when riding in the alps and bikeparks is crucial for me.

if you have advices I‘m thankful ?

regard
wolfgang

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi Rob

thank you for asking. Hm, its an amazing bike but - coming from a haibike nduro with minion dhf 2.5 dhf dd/dhr2 2.4 dh casing and having the Mm sg 2.4 on my spec enduro I dont like:

1. the 2.6 butcher tyres (I changed from 2.8 tp 2.6 because the 2.8 on the test bikes felt a bit spongy and inprecise) which feel bad concerning grip and traction on steep trails compared to the tyres above. This is really a problem which we have to solve. Such a great bike but without good grip ...

2. the brake starts quieking after appx 200 m altitude difference (but Im a very cautious driver) - however the Magura Mt5 on the haibike nduro made 1000 altitude meter without any noise. Will switch to the mt5 or mt 7 again.

What I am not sure about is if I should stay at 2.6 oder change to 2.8
Main request is if I should take the MM ultrasoft dh case or the Minion 2.6.
To avoid tyre breakdown, snakebites etc when riding in the alps and bikeparks is crucial for me.

if you have advices I‘m thankful ?

regard
wolfgang
On @Kiwi in Wales recommendation I’ve just bought the 2.6 Magic Mary you mention above. I’ll let you know how I get on (Levo).

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
ok thanks. We re going to Reschen/Nauders in the alps by end of August and Id have switched it from my shop until then. Do you think you will have first experience by next weekend? Steep trails on dry earth - also with loose small stones - makes most problems ...

thanks a lot in advance

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
ok thanks. We re going to Reschen/Nauders in the alps by end of August and Id have switched it from my shop until then. Do you think you will have first experience by next weekend? Steep trails on dry earth - also with loose small stones - makes most problems ...

thanks a lot in advance

Hi @profgruen, Have a look at the link below to a recent post I did on both the 2.8 and 2.6 MM tyres.
I think the MM 2.6 DH casing Ultrasoft will be a very good choice in the Alps for you as they have thick, strong sidewalls. I would not recommend the MM 2.8 as their sidewalls are almost as thin as the Butchers. How much do you weigh? As this will determine how much air pressure you will need in your tyres. I weigh betweeen 73 and 75kg fully kitted up. In an Alpine environment I would run the tyres with 6 to 10 more psi than I normally would on my local trails.

Regarding grip on loose, small stones. How small? and how loose? If you are describing a sea of ‘pea’ size stones then I am not sure any tyre will cope with this unless there is a good base below the stones where the knobs of the tyre can grip on to and you are comfortable with your drifting skills.

Hope this help you in your decision.

Kenevo and Levo stock Butcher tyres - grip questions ??? - EMTB Forums

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
75 kg full quipped, 78 kg with full protector
95% without full protectors in our wood trails here

steep trails have have bit of kind of gravel.

i read your long great post carefully and will change to mm dh ultrasoft 2.6 as recommended.
1.4 kg, hope it wont reduce range of bike /battery not too much.

My bikestore (big and established one) here promoted Schwalbe in the past but avoid them now. dont know why -i think they said due to difficult tyre change compared to other brands.

thanks a lot for your advice

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
75 kg full quipped, 78 kg with full protector
95% without full protectors in our wood trails here

steep trails have have bit of kind of gravel.

i read your long great post carefully and will change to mm dh ultrasoft 2.6 as recommended.
1.4 kg, hope it wont reduce range of bike /battery not too much.

My bikestore (big and established one) here promoted Schwalbe in the past but avoid them now. dont know why -i think they said due to difficult tyre change compared to other brands.

thanks a lot for your advice

Not sure how to help you on the steep trails with gravel as I would need to ride it to comment any further.

I currently run around 18 psi on my local trails so try 24 to 28 to start with and increase or reduce to suit your own riding style, feel of the trail/terrain and of course your personal preferences.

I have not noticed any additional battery usage with these tyres on and I have the 460 Wh battery.

Really interesting that a bike shop has stopped stocking a particular tyre because it is difficult to change. If you use the correct tools these tyres are no different to any other tyre to fit or to remove.

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
I just have to correct: Its difficult for me to explain these two reasons in english: they say 1. Schwalbe tyres tend to sit on the rim not perfect making problems when rolling. In German we call it an ´8 in the wheelˋ when you ride, look at the front tyre and it looks as if it doesnt run straight. Its true I have this effect on my Soec Enduro with the MM 2.4 sg. Looks strange but doesnt affect driving ( in fact according to the shop its affecting in some cases)

2. reason seems to be that there seems to be troubles when putting on Schwalbe tyres on the rims sometimes - problems not arising with other brands.

Sorry cant express it better.

best
w

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
One more question please: do you think that Minion dhf front 2.5 dh casing 60x2dh and either the same tyre on the rear or the dhr2 2.4 dh casing 60x2dh on the rear would do the same or similar job concerning grip and tyre breakdowns (snakebite and so on) like the mm ultrasoft dh 2.6?

Finally all this tyres high enough for enough bottom bracket high compared to butcher 2.6/2.8?

thank you in advance
w

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
ordered the mm 2.6 dh ultrasoft following your advice and against the shops advice. wéll see ...

if it doesnt suit (what i do not believe) i might change on the new minion 2.6 with exo plus or the eddy current by next year.

regards
wolfgang

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Hey, welcome here Wolfgang, greetings from germany :)

Tyre-wise, the mm in 2.6 ultrasoft is a great choice, have it (a bit thinner) on my other bike and it's rocksolid and has amazing grip. For the Kenevo i'll wait for the Eddy current cause i'm very curious about it and want to try them.

Can't answer the tyre-height / bottom-bracket question since i can't compare the two tyres, but i think the 2.6 mm vs the 2.8 butcher should come out with the same height, since the mm has more stable sidewalls and bigger nobs. But really not sure how much they differ.

You mentioned squeaking brakes on the Kenevo... yes, that's a SRAM feature - you never need a bell ;) Since you're happy with the Magura and like the behaviour (hard brake-point), the choice is easy. If you like to have it a bit more sensitive, the Shimano Zee or Saint would be the choice. I do love the Zee on my enduro bike, same power like the Saint, just minus some rarely used adjustment features, but much cheaper.

Don't forget to show us the videos from your trip to the alps :cool:

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
will do it.
recognized today that kenevo did not have organiv brake pads. can possibly be one reason of squeaking. going to compare

best
wolfgang

Last edited:

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
Hi @profgruen, Have a look at the link below to a recent post I did on both the 2.8 and 2.6 MM tyres.
I think the MM 2.6 DH casing Ultrasoft will be a very good choice in the Alps for you as they have thick, strong sidewalls. I would not recommend the MM 2.8 as their sidewalls are almost as thin as the Butchers. How much do you weigh? As this will determine how much air pressure you will need in your tyres. I weigh betweeen 73 and 75kg fully kitted up. In an Alpine environment I would run the tyres with 6 to 10 more psi than I normally would on my local trails.

Regarding grip on loose, small stones. How small? and how loose? If you are describing a sea of ‘pea’ size stones then I am not sure any tyre will cope with this unless there is a good base below the stones where the knobs of the tyre can grip on to and you are comfortable with your drifting skills.

Hope this help you in your decision.

Kenevo and Levo stock Butcher tyres - grip questions ??? - EMTB Forums
@kiwi: do you ride the mm 2.6 dh ultrasoft on the rear as well or soft? i ordered ultrasoft for rear as well as front. is this ok ?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
@kiwi: do you ride the mm 2.6 dh ultrasoft on the rear as well or soft? i ordered ultrasoft for rear as well as front. is this ok ?

For the ride you are doing in the Alps, definately the MM 2.6 DH Ultrasofts.
If your trails at home are not so rocky then I would try the 2.8 at home. Did you see the photos of the damage on the 2.8s in my tyre post? This is why I would not recommend them for your Alp trip. Inserts will help prevent the rim dents but they will not stop the cuts/slashes to the tyres in an Alpine environment.
Try 24 to 28 psi (1.6 to 1.9 BAR) to start with and increase or reduce this pressure to suit your own riding style, feel of the trail/terrain and of course your personal preferences.

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
perfect, thanks for your quick answer! this is rweally helpful!

one little - perhaps a bit stupid - question: did you ever check how low you can go with mm 2.6 dh ultrasoft front resp. rear before snakebites, cuts etc when assuming 75 kg riderweight and with the kenevo?

thanks

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
perfect, thanks for your quick answer! this is rweally helpful!

one little - perhaps a bit stupid - question: did you ever check how low you can go with mm 2.6 dh ultrasoft front resp. rear before snakebites, cuts etc when assuming 75 kg riderweight and with the kenevo?

thanks
I have 17 to 18 psi in both front and rear and have never had a snake bite. This is on my local trails in Wales
When I was in Morzine last I was running them on my 275 Carbon Nomad (Non ebike) with 20 psi and had no snake bites but this bike only weighed 13kg.

Like I said,
Try 24 to 28 psi (1.6 to 1.9 BAR) to start with and increase or reduce this pressure to suit your own riding style, feel of the trail/terrain and of course your personal preferences.

These are really grippy tyres so increasing the psi will not make them slip.

The recommended window of operation on the side of the tyres is 17 to 38 psi (1.2 to 2.6 Bar) so it is a fairly large window to play with.

profgruen

Aug 19, 2018
Austria
Only 2 problems left:

1. severe problems with the battery and bolt when putting battery in. no problem at the first appx 6-10 times. now bolt fits through battery and frame only after seceral trys and hard pressing of battery pack on frame. very worrysome after 4 weeks. Battery pack is clean all around.

Can someone help?

2. although squeaking was solved after changing to organic pads i face the problem that 1. i think that brake power declines starting after appx 300 m altitude resulting in necessary strong pull of brake levers and therefore hurting fingers. Have the impression that the experience with my mt5 was much better on this point.
How is the experience of other Kenevo riders?

apart from these problems kenevo is awesome. after 3 days in the alps I can state that kenevo + mm is nearly unbeatable.

Regards
Profgruen

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles