New Garmin Edge with Shimano Steps integration

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Looks interesting, especially as with the new E7000 series Junction A Cable you can eliminate the OEM steps screen, meaning you could just have the Garmin

MEDIA ADVISORY: Garmin® announces SHIMANO STEPS support on Edge® cycling computers to help enhance the eBike riding experience | Garmin Newsroom

EW-EN100

P-EW-EN100_2019NPC0131_750_750.jpeg

SHIMANO_STEPS_screen-1.jpg

Shimano-E7000-Motor-eMTB-News-8-von-8-810x540.jpg

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
On that video he says "it's common across E8000, E7000 and E6000", so maybe it does work with E8000?

I have E8000 with Di2 gears on my bike so I seem to be able to connect my Garmin Edge 1000 to the bike anyway. But if you have a E8000 without Di2 then does it give info over Bluetooth as well (without this extra device) ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In my experience all the Shimano e series are inter compatible

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Edge 1030 Firmware 7.0 is out with some Shimano Steps enhancements

Garmin: Edge 1030 Updates & Downloads

i am interested if its possible to track human power over ant+ (not only gear and battery) thx

I just tested it and not getting any power values. (Still a shame!)

The only official change from 6.30 to 7.00 was this: "Improved Shimano STEPS response time."
And that does seem to work, so it's a nice change! Basically the updating of the gear number and assist mode happens sooner now (it was really delayed in 6.30 compared to an Edge 1000).

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
I just tested it and not getting any power values. (Still a shame!)

The only official change from 6.30 to 7.00 was this: "Improved Shimano STEPS response time."
And that does seem to work, so it's a nice change! Basically the updating of the gear number and assist mode happens sooner now (it was really delayed in 6.30 compared to an Edge 1000).
thx very much mark.ai
i am very interested in the steps e8000 because its more integrated than the brose solutions. i am on Levo, but i am searching for an alternative solution to track human power with garmin. best regards ✌?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
thx very much mark.ai
i am very interested in the steps e8000 because its more integrated than the brose solutions. i am on Levo, but i am searching for an alternative solution to track human power with garmin. best regards ✌?

Yep I'd love to get power information with Shimano STEPS and Garmin too :)

But first Shimano will need to make that power information available (in their own apps initially?) Then because Shimano STEPS uses a private ANT+ protocol to wirelessly send information, it will require Garmin to add their own software to handle it. And they are both large companies, so slow moving - I think it could be years away ...

Levo seems like the best solution for power information right now.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
Yep I'd love to get power information with Shimano STEPS and Garmin too :)

But first Shimano will need to make that power information available (in their own apps initially?) Then because Shimano STEPS uses a private ANT+ protocol to wirelessly send information, it will require Garmin to add their own software to handle it. And they are both large companies, so slow moving - I think it could be years away ...

Levo seems like the best solution for power information right now.

ant+ and ant private are software protocols. i dont think they have to change hardware. so it could be (hopefully) a firmware update?
meanwhile the only solution is to use powercranks like Stages, which is no problem with shimano e8000 but a problem with brose and bosch. powerpedals are only available for the keo system (sadly no shimano spd)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
ant+ and ant private are software protocols. i dont think they have to change hardware. so it could be (hopefully) a firmware update?
meanwhile the only solution is to use powercranks like Stages, which is no problem with shimano e8000 but a problem with brose and bosch. powerpedals are only available for the keo system (sadly no shimano spd)

Yep, it seems potentially possible just with some firmware updates (crosses fingers!)

That's a good idea about using some cranks like Stages to measure power :) Just more expensive than a free built-in solution. I'd only considered Garmin's Vector power pedals before because I use their device ecosystem, but they are for road cleats. I hadn't realised about the power cranks, but you're right because the Shimano interface is standard, it should be easy to fit some!

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
Does anyone with an e8000 had success connecting their garmin edge 530?

The can’t get a successful connection and read somewhere you need a special cable.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Does anyone with an e8000 had success connecting their garmin edge 530?

The can’t get a successful connection and read somewhere you need a special cable.

It should be able to connect wirelessly and you don't need to use a cable. But with E8000 display you can only get Di2 info, speed, cadence - you can't get assist mode or assist percentage.

This is the manual link for the 530: Edge 530 - Using an eBike

And there was this other thread recently for the 830: I can not synchronize Garmin Edge 830 with Shimano E8000 - EMTB Forums

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
The Garmins only work if you have either an e7000 display or the EN-EW100 junction. You won't get the eBike stuff with an e8000 display.

I have the EN-EW100 on my bike now. I really like it with the Garmin computer.

Gordon

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
The Garmins only work if you have either an e7000 display or the EN-EW100 junction. You won't get the eBike stuff with an e8000 display.

I have the EN-EW100 on my bike now. I really like it with the Garmin computer.

Gordon
Yeah that’s the gist of what i read. How much is the junction? I can’t even see where to buy one from a quick google search.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
I just ordered a merida e160 (shimano based). Selling my Levo. I really loved the possibility of power based training with the levo. But the Levo speed restriction my2019+ is a complete show stopper. I will test the stages (i had them on my RR a few years ago, worked pretty good with garmn). The price for the merida with the stages is lower than the price for a levo.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
So, quick question...I have the E7000 display and a Garmin 820. Garmin confirms I should be able to connect to the motor but I have to have the EW100. I read in this post that I can connect my Garmin while having ONLY the E7000 display. When I try to connect using the Sensors screen and selecting Ebike on the Garmin the two never connect. The bluetooth symbol on the display never comes on. I can confirm the bluetooth does woark as I can connect to the ETube app via bluetooth.

Can soneone walk me through getting these two to connect?

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
it should be possible. There is a vid on youtube (austrian guy german speeking). he connects e7000 with garmin edge 1030 over ANT private (?) look at 00:01:00 +.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I can't get it to work...called Shimano, they said to call Garmin, Garmin said it works and I need to call Shimano. I was hoping to do this without the additional wireless unit.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
@CatButt what is your problem exactly? Did you install the shimano steps app on your edge 1030? The vid says, that you have to pair the e7000 with the edge 1030 (standard process. Settings - sensors - add sensors - search - shimano steps - add).

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
The two devices never connect via bluetooth. I can connect ETube and Steps Unlocker via bluetooth so I know the function works on the bike. However, when I search for an ebike in the sensors menu it just continuously searches and never finds the bike. There is not an option to find Shimano Steps in my sensors list.

As I mentioned I am using the 820...however, Garmin said for all intents it’s the same unit. I have an app downloaded, but not an official Shimano app for the Garmin...I have searched and cannot find one.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
@CatButt maybe the problem is the 820. the edge 1030 has more connectivity profiles. as you see in the vid, the edge 1030 pairs with the e7000 over ant private (shimano does not support ant+ which is a shame). the edge 1030 supports also bluetooth. the 820 doesnt.
if the e7000 would support ant+ i am sure you can connect your 820 or 520 etc.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
The E7000 display should support ANT fine - it won't connect over Bluetooth to any of the Garmin devices, it will always use ANT. But I've no idea if it works with the Edge 820 … or the Edge 1000 ...

You could try looking under the Di2 sensor connections if it doesn't appear under ebike.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I have an Garmin Edge Explore and it works. I also have the edge 520 and for now does not work. In the Explore you can in the menu where you select for you heart-rate monitor select to connect to e-bike.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles