Levo Gen 2 New Float X shock

Stan23

Sep 6, 2021
San Jose, CA
Can't wait for the first ride! I had the DPX2 Factory prior, which I loved. I hear this is even better...

Stuck with 210x52.5. I've never bottomed out the DPX2 either.
20211001_155238_resized.jpg

evolixsurf

Sep 4, 2021
usa
I got a 21 dpx2 take off from another bike. Wondering if I should run it or just sack up and get the x2. I’m 198lbs and like to have fun but don’t mash super hard. Not loving the water bottle issues either ??

Stan23

Sep 6, 2021
San Jose, CA
I got a 21 dpx2 take off from another bike. Wondering if I should run it or just sack up and get the x2. I’m 198lbs and like to have fun but don’t mash super hard. Not loving the water bottle issues either ??

Tell me about it! I got. 12 oz water bottle:(

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Can't wait for the first ride! I had the DPX2 Factory prior, which I loved. I hear this is even better...

Well the new Float X is a cheaper, more simple shock with a more basic damping circuit, so…

Better? Unlikely.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I'm starting to get fed up with top of the range Fox suspension as the adjustability is just so fiddly and over complicated. I spend more time twiddling the knobs of my X2 than riding my bike.

Stan23

Sep 6, 2021
San Jose, CA
Well the new Float X is a cheaper, more simple shock with a more basic damping circuit, so…

Better? Unlikely.

Not what I've read and watched.

My dpx2 factory is on my wife's bike now. If I don't end up liking the float x, I'll just swap with her bike :)

I also have a cascade link coming.

20211001_155229.jpg

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
If Float X is not tuned to Specialized bike, it's not as good as original shock. How do I know? Because I have had it in use. I bought an OEM version that has been tuned incorrectly.
Switched back to the original RS Ultimate and I will send Float X for tuning during the winter.

Stan23

Sep 6, 2021
San Jose, CA
If Float X is not tuned to Specialized bike, it's not as good as original shock. How do I know? Because I have had it in use. I bought an OEM version that has been tuned incorrectly.
Switched back to the original RS Ultimate and I will send Float X for tuning during the winter.

I'm good. I have the retail version. I hate oem custom tunes. None of my levos have oem suspension, all retail parts :)

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic

Better? Unlikely.

2022 Float X is lot more X2 than it is DPX2. Nothing cheaper or simpler about it :- ).

It's DPX2 shock that is quite poor and always was, I hated mine of Capra29.

Float X has all the benefits of X2, mainly separate damping and rebound circuits, it's just more compact body and higher progression, which will make the more universal shock for average bike.
X2 is bit overused, I've seen people putting it on XC/Light Trail bike, then finding out it's too linear, put every token under sun only to find out they are now outside of the safe pressure range for the X2 (this is not a shock for very heavy people).

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
2022 Float X is lot more X2 than it is DPX2. Nothing cheaper or simpler about it :- ).

Float X has all the benefits of X2, mainly separate damping and rebound circuits, it's just more compact body and higher progression, which will make the more universal shock for average bike.
X2 is bit overused, I've seen people putting it on XC/Light Trail bike, then finding out it's too linear, put every token under sun only to find out they are now outside of the safe pressure range for the X2 (this is not a shock for very heavy people).
Interesting comment about the X2. I'm a heavy rider and myX2 is on a Levo SL for mostly XC and trail,, and I have yet not found equilibrium with it. I may end up going back to the fox DPS.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
By heavy I meant truly heavy, above 110 KG :- ) Originally, X2 had 300 PSI limit but because the air cans kept exploding off, it was revised back to 250 PSI (That is what I ran with DPX2 on Capra with my 90kgs, and that bike has 70perc. progression! 3 times any Specialized bike). Then 2021 had some upgrade and I think it might be 300 PSI again but the design is ultimately quite similar. Whereas DPS/DPX2 can go up to 350 PSI without issue in all their revisions.

I also plan to put X2 on Levo SL for my wife eventually, it's just that their price in Europe is absolutely abysmal (900 Euro), might as well buy Storia EXT.. The shock might be too linear for LevoSL without something like the Cascade Link.

If you already have X2, I would not get rid of it. There is definitely a setup/tune out there for you, it's the most tunable air-shock out there, it just might take some time to figure out. Definitely get Quark, it's like 200 bucks discounted in many places and it's very useful for shocks that have separate damping circuits and offer 4-way tunability.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
By heavy I meant truly heavy, above 110 KG :- ) Originally, X2 had 300 PSI limit but because the air cans kept exploding off, it was revised back to 250 PSI (That is what I ran with DPX2 on Capra with my 90kgs, and that bike has 70perc. progression! 3 times any Specialized bike). Then 2021 had some upgrade and I think it might be 300 PSI again but the design is ultimately quite similar. Whereas DPS/DPX2 can go up to 350 PSI without issue in all their revisions.

I also plan to put X2 on Levo SL for my wife eventually, it's just that their price in Europe is absolutely abysmal (900 Euro), might as well buy Storia EXT.. The shock might be too linear for LevoSL without something like the Cascade Link.

If you already have X2, I would not get rid of it. There is definitely a setup/tune out there for you, it's the most tunable air-shock out there, it just might take some time to figure out. Definitely get Quark, it's like 200 bucks discounted in many places and it's very useful for shocks that have separate damping circuits and offer 4-way tunability.

I'm about 86kg and have the 2021 300psi X2. I bought mine from Bikester which is EU based, but got it on offer, but I agree, the price is ridiculous. I will persevere with setting it up, I need more time. I've also just had a plaster cast taken off my arm and currently have Covid,, so things not going smoothly right now☹️

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

Erm, the Float X (and the new DHX) are both mono tube designs. The Float X2, DHX2 & the DPX2 are all twin tube design.

The Float X has no more adjustment over the DPX2. To expect it be massively different is hugely unlikely, given most reviews have claimed it’s a like for like replacement which doesn’t set the world on fire, but works plenty well enough (pretty much as per the DPX2 then!).

The nuances of twin tube and mono tube suspension has been well covered by the likes of Vorsprung in the past.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Erm, the Float X (and the new DHX) are both mono tube designs. The Float X2, DHX2 & the DPX2 are all twin tube design.

The Float X has no more adjustment over the DPX2. To expect it be massively different is hugely unlikely, given most reviews have claimed it’s a like for like replacement which doesn’t set the world on fire, but works plenty well enough (pretty much as per the DPX2 then!).

The nuances of twin tube and mono tube suspension has been well covered by the likes of Vorsprung in the past.

I apologize, I did honestly thought Float-X continued with twin-tube design, I am actually surprised they switched to monotube despite making all chambers larger. I am more than surprised by this :- ). I wonder if it's because they would like this to become cheaper OEM shock alternative to X2, market-position wise (as seen on Kenevo SL Comp), instead of Performance models for X2, which unlike Grip dampered Performance models forks, are almost in parity with performance to Elite&Factory models sans external adjustments.

DPX2 definitely doesn't work well enough for its pricetag..

Stan23

Sep 6, 2021
San Jose, CA
First ride done on the float x! I ran about 20psi lower than the previous dpx2 to get the same sag. Went down a familiar fast flow trail with little 3 foot jumps. Shock feels different than the dpx2. I can pump on it easier and handles small bumps really well. Overall, I'm happy but will still need to dial it in.

SusXT

Nov 3, 2022
Belgium
This should work. Simple solution with 2 alu bushings and a small steel plate (20 by 120mm).

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

Better? Unlikely.

Actually, it's a much better damping circuit in that the rebound and compression circuits are fully isolated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles