New Ebike member with a Shimano issue

EbikeNJ

Mar 27, 2024
England
Hi All. I'm new to this site. I am looking for assistance if possible.
I recently purchased a secondhand Scott Spark eRide with an E8000 Shimano motor, but it has stopped working.
It came up with an E010 error code. The system turns on and you can select power assistance modes, but the motor will not fire up.
I've tried to fault-find and use Shimano ETube but with no success. ETube says E8000 firmware doesn't have a fault log?
I've disconnected all cables and sockets and powered off/on the battery without any joy.
Has anyone had this fault before?
I am very grateful for any direction before I fork out for a replacement motor, as that's what my gut is telling me it needs........
Regards NJ

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hi All. I'm new to this site. I am looking for assistance if possible.
I recently purchased a secondhand Scott Spark eRide with an E8000 Shimano motor, but it has stopped working.
It came up with an E010 error code. The system turns on and you can select power assistance modes, but the motor will not fire up.
I've tried to fault-find and use Shimano ETube but with no success. ETube says E8000 firmware doesn't have a fault log?
I've disconnected all cables and sockets and powered off/on the battery without any joy.
Has anyone had this fault before?
I am very grateful for any direction before I fork out for a replacement motor, as that's what my gut is telling me it needs........
Regards NJ
Welcome to the Forums.
Cheers

Hopefully help is on the way. There’s lots of E8000 owners on this site that may help or have suggestions.
Good luck.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Make sure that the pedals are not touching anything when you switch on the bike. I'm pretty sure that the E010 error is to do with the torque sensor. Pressure on the pedals when switching on means that there is torque on the motor at the start, which is a no-no.

I don't have an e8000 anymore, but I did have a lucky escape with an E010 error early on. I got the lack of start-up and the error code. I switched off and tried again, same result. Then I noticed that one of the pedals had my heavy chain draped over it. This would have been exerting torque on the motor. I removed the chain and tried again........... And it worked!
Lucky me! :)

Edit: Likewise, if you are out and about, don't be stood on the pedals when you turn on the motor!

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Both times Ive had e10 errors its required replacement motors :-(. To be fair, first one that bricked went into remission after I cleaned and greased the motors connectors but the inevitable happened in fairly short order. My opinion is they suffer from water ingress which can't be dealt with by rebuilding,

EbikeNJ

Mar 27, 2024
England
Thanks all!
Cheers for the response and welcome messages.

When tinkering with it, the bike is on a stand. But I will remove the pedals to check for undue pressure.

The E010 code seems a bit generic, and there are multiple versions of this code with numbers after them. Not a helpful error code.

I've read somewhere it could be the battery-to-motor connector, but that would seem strange as the display unit powers up, and I can select power assistance. But no motor.

I will keep playing until have to commit to a new motor.

Yes, Randy, I agree; they don't look that ingress-protected. the -/+ terminals are all corroded. ad the angle of the speed sensor and display connection ports are at the top so water has the ability to run down a cable.

Thanks for your responses.

Regards
NJ

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles