New Chainring 34T to 38T

pmac

Jul 14, 2020
Perth
My current Focus Jam 2 has a 34T chainring. After 1800 km my rear sprocket needs to be replaced. This is because I tend to use the top few gears. I want to get a larger chainring so I use a wider range or rear gears. I was thinking a 38T. Would that be a bad idea? I don't know what mount type is used so I'm lost when looking at the range of chainrings. Here is one that says it is specifically for a Bosch CX Gen 4. Would that do? Any other suggestions?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'd check that the larger diameter chainring doesn't hit the chain stay

38t =approx 19 inch so divided by pi = approx 6 inch diameter

1616764504903.png

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
My current Focus Jam 2 has a 34T chainring. After 1800 km my rear sprocket needs to be replaced. This is because I tend to use the top few gears. I want to get a larger chainring so I use a wider range or rear gears. I was thinking a 38T. Would that be a bad idea? I don't know what mount type is used so I'm lost when looking at the range of chainrings. Here is one that says it is specifically for a Bosch CX Gen 4. Would that do? Any other suggestions?

What Jackware said - I went from 34t - 36t and it's a close fit at the chainstay
:eek:

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
The bosch software uses the gear ratios as part of the calculations for the motor torque output in the dynamic modes (Tour+ and Emtb). If you change the ratios away from the factory ones it will confuse the software.

Last edited:

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
The bosch software uses the gear ratios as part of the calculations for the motor torque output in the dynamic modes (Tour+ and Emtb). If you change the ratios away from the factory ones it will confuse the software.

How the hell does the Bosch system know what gear you are in in order for it to make those calculations?!

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I appreciate it knows rpm and wheel speed, but does Bosch really go as far as calculating ratios? Is there any data on this? I have never heard of say a change of cassette (or chainring) being of any concern to the firmware, thats all. If it is a 'thing', can dealers alter it? I have only heard of wheel size being changed for the obvious reason.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I changed both chainring and cassette (on a Specialized) and did not notice any change in motor output. Maybe Bosch does this, ymmv...

If you really want to use the larger chainring you could maybe space it out 2 mm. This would alter the chainline but only by about one space or less.

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
I appreciate it knows rpm and wheel speed, but does Bosch really go as far as calculating ratios? Is there any data on this? I have never heard of say a change of cassette (or chainring) being of any concern to the firmware, thats all. If it is a 'thing', can dealers alter it? I have only heard of wheel size being changed for the obvious reason.

I spent some time recently with the technician at my LBS (Stanley Fearn's in Matlock, big thumbs up from me) going through the Bosch dealer software with him and learning from him (I've been having some problems with battery life and wanted to get to the bottom of it, which we did) and one of the things he showed me - partly because they'd just changed the front ring on my bike and I had wondered at the time if a different size was an option - is that at a dealer level the gear ratios stored in each bike's system are fixed and can only be changed by someone with manufacturer level software. This is because the Bosch system uses the gear the bike is in as one of the factors to calculate how much torque to deliver.

Last edited:

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
Ahh! Good old Stans. Three miles down the road from me and I bought my Trek Rail 7 from them last week. Surprising just how many Rails they had in stock.

Took a relatively novice riding buddy in there on Saturday morning and he walked out £6k worse off, but the owner of a Whyte e160rs. We'd been up at Black Rocks half an hour earlier and he'd been complaining about his POS Carrera Emtb not being up to the job so I nigh on frog marched him down the hill to Fearns.

Apparently I should have a government health warning "knowing this man can lead to serious damage to your wallet..."

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Took a relatively novice riding buddy in there on Saturday morning and he walked out £6k worse off, but the owner of a Whyte e160rs. We'd been up at Black Rocks half an hour earlier and he'd been complaining about his POS Carrera Emtb not being up to the job so I nigh on frog marched him down the hill to Fearns.

Apparently I should have a government health warning "knowing this man can lead to serious damage to your wallet..."

Yep, he has a row of Trek and White e-mtbs at the back of his 'showroom', despite there apparently being a shortage of such.

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
Yep, he has a row of Trek and White e-mtbs at the back of his 'showroom', despite there apparently being a shortage of such.

There is definitely a shortage, pretty much all of their stock is out on the shop floor and they can't get any more until well into next year. 18 months ago they had plenty of stock out the back and if they didn't have it out the back it was a matter of weeks to get it in....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles