New bike

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No. I'd buy something much cheaper as long as it used the same battery as my main bike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It would help if you told us what bike or price range you are talking about. £300 doesn't make much of a dent in a £4.5k bike.

I did consider buying a HT for winter which could be as much as £3000 less than my current bike. But £300? No way Jose.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
It would help if you told us what bike or price range you are talking about. £300 doesn't make much of a dent in a £4.5k bike.

I did consider buying a HT for winter which could be as much as £3000 less than my current bike. But £300? No way Jose.
We are only talking £1500........ cube acid pro 500

I have one currently, that I have removed the group set and added xt di2 and carbon forks which I use for commuting.

Now due to a damaged right foot and knee I have had to sell my Ti road bike with sram etap hydraulic and have the funds for a 2nd ebike, so the same bike is available at £1500

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
We are only talking £1500........ cube acid pro 500

I have one currently, that I have removed the group set and added xt di2 and carbon forks which I use for commuting.

Now due to a damaged right foot and knee I have had to sell my Ti road bike with sram etap hydraulic and have the funds for a 2nd ebike, so the same bike is available at £1500
Sounds like you would do well to buy a more road biased bike which is much cheaper and more efficient for your commute and return the cube to its off road status , best if both words and probably money saved ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No, what i would do is buy the cheaper hardtail version of my bike with the intention of using it as a winter hack, then go and spend the same again giving it a full respray and pimping the feck out of it.

Sh!t thats actually what i have done:eek:

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Sounds like you would do well to buy a more road biased bike which is much cheaper and more efficient for your commute and return the cube to its off road status , best if both words and probably money saved ?
I need ebike for the commute as it's a 30 mile round trip with 2000ft of climbing........with lots of off-road options.

So getting a road biased ebike for less than 1500 is a defo no no

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This your bike - looks like an awesome machine for a commute! So you want the other bike so you can have one for commuting and one for more offroad?

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 20.59.06.png

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
This your bike - looks like an awesome machine for a commute! So you want the other bike so you can have one for commuting and one for more offroad?

View attachment 7406
Yup it is.......with custom xt di2, tubeless rims and carbon fork

Was going to buy the 2nd one and keep it standard and use it for bashing around in the winter mud and rain

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Sounds like a good plan to me, when i got my second emtb the fact that it used the same battery ( which @Doomanic has spot on) effectively meant that i was only paying 1400 quid for the bike, as i was about to buy a spare battery anyway which is circa £500.

Having access to two batteries is probably the best thing i have done in the last 6 months.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I need ebike for the commute as it's a 30 mile round trip with 2000ft of climbing........with lots of off-road options.

So getting a road biased ebike for less than 1500 is a defo no no
Sorry I was going on the fact that you have already turned your acid into a riad biased bike , I mean hybrid I guess not actual roadbike , I agree same battery and motor would be most important to me

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Until about a year ago I actually had 2 almost identical mtbs.
Exact same frame, fork and controls set-up but one had mudguards, mud tyres, lighter wheels and a cheaper drivetrain while the other had dry tyres no guards and a Saint/Zee/XT groupset..

I had 12 bikes so sold the winter one.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Until about a year ago I actually had 2 almost identical mtbs.
Exact same frame, fork and controls set-up but one had mudguards, mud tyres, lighter wheels and a cheaper drivetrain while the other had dry tyres no guards and a Saint/Zee/XT groupset..

I had 12 bikes so sold the winter one.
I'll be down to just 2 ebikes when I get the 2nd one due to a damaged right knee and foot..........

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Bought a trek powerfly 4 with Bosch cx performance engine and 500wh battery..............happy days

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Bought a trek powerfly 4 with Bosch cx performance engine and 500wh battery..............happy days
cancelled the trek as it wasnt in good shape

now gone for cube reaction pro 400.......yes its the smaller battery, but will have two batteries of the same ilk if i want to go further afield.....but 30/40 miles is max for me anyway

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles