New Bike Tool

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
You don't NEED a driver to install fork seals, but it's nice to have the correct tool for the job. That's what I was thinking several years ago when I bought a fork seal driver from Push. It was expensive, but I didn't have time to make one of my own. At the time, my forks were all 36mm.

Fast forward to today. I was rebuilding my 35mm fork. I was in the middle of the project, and decided to install new seals rather than reuse the existing ones. Sure, I could improvise, but I came up with a different idea. I could take my 36mm driver, flip it over, and turn down the other side to 35mm. Delrin is fun to work with, so making the new tool was no big deal. Now I have a tool that does BOTH 36mm and 35mm.

Tips:
If you decide to do something like this on your own, make it long enough to engage the fork bushing. Mine is a little short, so I have to consciously hold the tool straight. That's my only suggestion.

IMG_8576.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
A few years ago I almost got a mini-lathe for this very reason. 3D printers, cnc machines, and lathe’s sure come in handy. But, I have a hard enough time hiding a wheel truing stand and a new hobby might be awkward to explain.

I’m kind of a wood guy unfortunately, which makes me handy around the house, which is probably why she keeps me around 😉.

A wooden-fork-driver-tool…maybe no.
I want that Push tool though 👍🏻.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
A wooden-fork-driver-tool…maybe no.
I want that Push tool though 👍🏻.

You'll surely wind in the doghouse if you take the money earmarked for a new car and use it to fill the garage with machine tools. But when the $30 toaster breaks and you're able to whip up a new part in an afternoon, all will be forgiven!

I've done a little bit of woodworking and have found that tabebuia wood is spectacular for toolmaking. It's pretty, as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles