New bike advice? Which bosch is best

Ben818719

Mar 13, 2022
Birmingham
My first post here so, hi hope you can all advise. Currently I ride a giant fathom e2 hard tail. I’m looking to get my first full sus emtb, so that I can start to venture out more. I like my bike park trails and enjoy single track stuff out in Shropshire hills and surrounding areas. I’ve managed to hire trek rail for fair days out which I do enjoy riding, but my local shop raves about cube stereo’s very similar geometry and much higher spec then the trek. Whilst poking round online retailers and various sites I’ve come across the mondraker crafty xr (alloy) which I like looks not sure about not having a removable battery but haven’t found any local dealers or anyone that hire’s them either. I think talking to few shops with stocking issues and waiting lists I’m fairly certain buying new bike online then setting up myself with help from local shop.

So my question is where would most of you go with 7k of your money, mondraker crafty xr, trek rail 9 gx, or the cube stereo hybrid 140 HPC Action Team? Anyone that has maybe been able to ride few of these that could give a comparison would be greatly appreciated 👍

Ben818719

Mar 13, 2022
Birmingham
I think main choice is between these two. The trek is so popular and after riding on it I do understand why, but the spec jump up and lower price of cube plus my local shop is cube stockist does have a lot of pull that way.
im hoping to hear off someone that has experience with mondraker but seem that popular in uk

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I have a Rail 9 on order but have also been looking at the other two (well 3 with the 2 Cubes). Also bear in mind that (as long as not riding a small frame) you will be getting the new Bosch system with the 750wh battery on the Cubes and Mondraker but the old system with a 625 on the Trek, that is a pretty major point IMO.

Haven't looked in detail but don't think are many of the Cubes knocking around in stock and only a few Craftys, not seen an XR available

jempezen

Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Mondraker don't have a removable battery, depend on where you store your bike this can be really bad for the battery longevity.
Treck have the new smart system with the 750wh battery only with the most expensive model.
Cube for me give more bang for your buck but have "only" 140/150 suspension with 29" or 160/170 with 27,5"

I own a cube 140 TM 750 and really love it!

Begazzz

Apr 19, 2022
Uk
I’m in the same boat. I want it for long distance moorland adventures as the airdrop is my park bike. Set on the 140 TM at the moment as I won’t need anymore suspension and my hit list includes:

29” (I’m 6”4’ and will be on an xl) for long distance

shop bought. (Done with direct and poor service. I want to eyeball someone!

must have Bosch 750wh with Kiox

decent suspension but not overkill

removable battery. I want to charge in the house and set off in the morning with a warm battery

decent battery cover that overlaps the frame not just a gap that collects shite (cube one is rubberised and seems to be a good seal.
at the moment I really can’t seem to find a bike that gets near the spec of the cube for the money. The only change I’d want is to swap out the mag brakes for xt (I don’t need yet another brand to maintain so I want to keep it simple. also a small point but having had canyon bikes and friends with YT’s the frame design is really sweet and the cube doesn’t look out of place and really is a tidy frame. Trek is too much £ to get decent spec and focus is just a bit weldy and not as good value as they used to be (and small battery)

i just wish rob could get his hands on one and review it! (But only say it’s amazing as I’ve got a deposit on the only xl I could find)

happy for suggestions though on alternatives as per the OP. Cheers all.

jempezen

Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
I wish too that Rob and other review the cube bike too, both 140 and 160 but the 750 one. They have make some change on the geometry and on the suspension part with the frame with 750 battery.

I love the magura M7 brake on the TM! And you have plenty of choice for leveler to change to the one that match your preference. XT it's a good brake too yes but they use code liquid and this one is really not earth friendly at all.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I kind of wish Cube had put a 38 on the front of the 140 or mulleted the 160 although I can see their logic in differentiating them.

Would also like to see some reviews, mainly on the more progressive suspension curve. Geo looks great. My head is getting turned from the Rail but it's a bit moot as no XLs of either to be found unless anyone knows of any ETAs to dealers?

Begazzz

Apr 19, 2022
Uk
I kind of wish Cube had put a 38 on the front of the 140 or mulleted the 160 although I can see their logic in differentiating them.

Would also like to see some reviews, mainly on the more progressive suspension curve. Geo looks great. My head is getting turned from the Rail but it's a bit moot as no XLs of either to be found unless anyone knows of any ETAs to dealers?
My xl is meant to be here early / mid June. I would call everyone in your country. I called about 7 shops before I found one.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've been looking at the mondraker; I like it. The emphasis every where else seems to be on descending - I actually like the climbs (if they're technical) as well. It has doubled my riding. A slack head angle isn't your friend in technical climbs or tight turns. Even the spiel on oversized bearings and forward geo sound good 😂. If there were a dealer within range of me I'd check it out.

ps I even like that the battery is stuck in there - a much stronger and lighter frame setup because of it. I don't remove my battery though.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
plus my local shop is cube stockist does have a lot of pull that way.
Always my preference.

Have rode a bunch of different brands and motors and owned E8000, Brose & Bosch G4 powered. Loved the Brose, but did not like the reliability. E8000 was good, but the Bosch is better - lots.
Currently have 2 Bosch powered bikes, one with Fox 36 Float Factory Air forks & Fox Nude TR EVOL shock and the other with Rockshox ZEB Charger R forks & Rockshox Delux Select R shock. Have the Fox suspension set up, but the Rockshox is straight out of the box with just air adjustment and a single click adjustment. IMHO, the Zeb forks are just so much plusher than the Fox and with Fox having always been my preferred suspension I am becoming a convert.

Anyways, back to my first point - if your LBS is good and will stand by their product then that is usually my first box ticked.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
have seen cubes with broken frames on this forum and very poor warranty pick what has the best fork \shock and brakes for your budget.

True - in general seems to be
Trek - highest cost for spec. Best warranty (lifetime on frame)
Mondraker - middle for both. 5 years on frame
Cube. Best bang for buck. Not sure on warranty but seem most likely to argue/reject. Seems to be a few big German companies that follow this model

You pays yer money....

Begazzz

Apr 19, 2022
Uk
Just another point on the mondraker crafty. Looks to me that the charge point is on the front of the down tube. Can anyone confirm? That’s a no if so as I’ll drown it for sure. Why would they put it there!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
A new pseudo review (think embn sponsored review) by a mondraker retailer . Just to throw a spanner in the works have you seen the marin trail e2? Very slack ha but with a very steep sta. I'd buy it if it was in stock.

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
My first post here so, hi hope you can all advise. Currently I ride a giant fathom e2 hard tail. I’m looking to get my first full sus emtb, so that I can start to venture out more. I like my bike park trails and enjoy single track stuff out in Shropshire hills and surrounding areas. I’ve managed to hire trek rail for fair days out which I do enjoy riding, but my local shop raves about cube stereo’s very similar geometry and much higher spec then the trek. Whilst poking round online retailers and various sites I’ve come across the mondraker crafty xr (alloy) which I like looks not sure about not having a removable battery but haven’t found any local dealers or anyone that hire’s them either. I think talking to few shops with stocking issues and waiting lists I’m fairly certain buying new bike online then setting up myself with help from local shop.

So my question is where would most of you go with 7k of your money, mondraker crafty xr, trek rail 9 gx, or the cube stereo hybrid 140 HPC Action Team? Anyone that has maybe been able to ride few of these that could give a comparison would be greatly appreciated 👍
I bought a mondraker chaser R from True North cycle /hub , ( not air e

hi , I bought a mondraker chaser R from True North adventures and cycle hub in Staffordshire. Love the bike , got the Bosch smart system on with 750 battery. I came from an orbea wild HARD TAIL , love it ! And for £5199

D48ECF70-F78B-4839-8FCA-CBA9558BB44A.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles