• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Need Shimano drivetrain upgrade info…

RichT

I have a Specialized Tero 3.0 (my wife’s bike) and while its a nice bike and a good platform to work with, I need to modify the drive train for our type of riding. Currently it has the following hub and cassette:

hub: Shimano MT400-B, Centerlock, 12x148 Boost, 32h
cassette: Shimano CS-HG400, 9-speed, 11-36t

I spent a lot of time looking at various options on the Shimano website, but there are so many variables and I am not certain which part is compatible with what hub. I think I’m working with an HG system (Hyper-glide?) but still not sure what to get.

What I want is an 11 speed cassette, preferably 11-46, or maybe even 11-50, and a good (higher quality) 11 speed derailleur and shifter. I have a Praxis 44T chainring to go with the rest of the system, and while it works well with the existing cassette, it naturally doesn’t have sufficient gearing at the low end.

I did a similar upgrade on my Tero 5.0 (very successfully) with SRAM components and have left over parts, but I’m not certain the cassette will fit the Shimano hub, so a Shimano 11 speed cassette might be the answer. And if it makes a difference, I‘ll stick with other Shimano components on this bike. If I go with Shimano derailleur I’ll also want the best functioning Shimano shifter.

My left over 11 speed derailleur is a SRAM GX long cage 11 speed. If that’s as good as a quality Shimano 11 speed derailleur and will work, I’ll use it; otherwise I‘ll buy one of Shimano’s better derailleurs. As I said, this is my wife's bike and I don’t want any complaints or complications.

I could just drop this in the hands of my LBS, but I’d like some opinions from experienced folks about the best components for this upgrade before I do that. . A little research in advance will make this a successful, quality upgrade and head off any issues.

Last edited:

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
The shimano linkglide xt 11 speed cassette uses shimano hg freehub. Pair that with a matching derailleur, shifter and chain and you’re sorted. You could also go sram if you wanted as the nx cassettes use shimano hg freehubs. I would recommend pairing it with a slightly better gx derailleur and shifter as I’ve read that quite a few people do not rate the nx stuff but the cassettes are good enough. I think they only go up to 42t though where as the shimano linkglide cassette is 50t.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Like he said !

May also be some relevant ideas in here :

You might, just, get away with a linkglide 11 cassette with your sram 11 speed derailleur and shifter, but could be about 1mm out over the range. Not having tried it I don't know if that would be acceptable or not.

RichT

I like the idea of a 50T first gear. As delivered the bike was 1:1 (36-36) in first and she did fine with that, so 42T would be ok with a 44T chainring, 46 would be a little better, and 50 would be a real improvement. The linkglide 11-50 is one I looked at but wasn’t sure it would work with that hub. I think that will be the one.

Any thoughts on the most reliable, smoothest operating derailleur and shifter for that?

Last edited:

RichT

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
I have the full linkglide xt 11 speed cassette, derailleur shifter and chain on my bike, been working faultlessly so far, not as nice/crisp shifting as sram but it works very well. If you want the best performance, I would always recommend buying the matching components on a drivetrain as they were designed to work together. Don’t forget the chain, for the additional price it’s always worth it to put a new one on there with that many new components. My personal preference is to get the matching chain as I don’t mind paying a little extra for the knowledge it’s working at its best.

RichT

A little update. According to my LBS, I’m better off going with SRAM for precision shifting. I’m fine with that and was only persuing a Shimano solution because that’s what came on the bike. Any thoughts on whether one is better and if so, why? They also said parts availability is a little iffy with Shimano. The old supply-chain dilemma. I plan to order parts on Monday.
Thanks.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
It all boils down to your preference as both make quality components.
Personally I went with shimano as the pros outweighed the cons. Yes sram shifts better but shimano is apparently designed to better shift under loads, the clutch on the derailleur is adjustable and serviceable (can be stripped and cleaned and I’ve had sram clutches become non existent on me causing very noisy chain slap and they can’t be fixed at all), the linkglide is apparently designed to last longer and the range on the 11 spd cassettes that use hg freehubs are bigger.
If your other half doesn’t use the smaller gears much then you could put a smaller chainring on to compensate for the smaller 42t sram cassette (this might require the tcu to be updated as I’ve read some bikes require the chainring size to be updated, I don’t know if this is the case with yours)

Last edited:

RichT

It all boils down to your preference as both make quality components.
Personally I went with shimano as the pros outweighed the cons. Yes sram shifts better but shimano is apparently designed to better shift under loads, the clutch on the derailleur is adjustable and serviceable (can be stripped and cleaned and I’ve had sram clutches become non existent on me causing very noisy chain slap and they can’t be fixed at all), the linkglide is apparently designed to last longer and the range on the 11 spd cassettes that use hg freehubs are bigger.
If your other half doesn’t use the smaller gears much then you could put a smaller chainring on to compensate for the smaller 42t sram cassette (this might require the tcu to be updated as I’ve read some bikes require the chainring size to be updated, I don’t know if this is the case with yours)
Glad to hear from a Shimano guy. so yes, a smaller chain ring will work down to 42T. Anything smaller doesn't accomplish the goal with an 11T cog, and I don’t see 10T in the future of this bike. Also better shifting under some load would be a benefit. I could use my 11sp SRAM stuff (OE on my Tero 5.0) but I wasn’t all that thrilled with it, so it will probably stay in the box.

Can recommend a Cassette, derailleur, and shifter? I was looking at the 8310 group but I’m finding all the different Shimano products a bit confusing. The goal of course is more road speed without losing the climbing gears. As delivered the bike only had 1:1 (9sp 11-36 and 36T ring) so just maintaining that will work, but going to a 46 or 50T 1st gear would be a plus.

I just want it to be reliable and shift as smooth and quiet as possible. Since I’m not going wireless on this, cost isn’t an issue - as far as I can see, all the mechanical stuff is well within the budget.

I was told yesterday that the Shimano chain would probably hang up on my Praxis 44T chain ring, so if this is the case, and if I go with Shimano, I ‘ll also need a Shimano 104 BCD chain ring in the 42-44T range.

I get a little overwhelmed looking at the Shimano website.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles