My (unsuccessful) E-MTB antelope hunt

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Two weeks ago I went on my first E-MTB powered antelope hunt in north central Nevada (Lander County). With a great rifle and scope and poor shooting I missed FOUR antelope. Aaaarrrggghhh! Turns out I had the wrong ballistic hold-overs taped inside my scope cap. Anyway, all else went swimmingly.
MY MAIN GEAR: 1.) E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown AWD bike W/ two batteries & one charging port, a patented feature on my bike.
2.) BLUETTI AC200 MAX lithium iron phosphate "solar" battery
3.) Off Grid TREK 220 watt folding solar blanker (cable locked to my CX-5 roof racks) to charge the BLUETTI.

The OG TREK solar blanket kept the BLUETTI charged AND kept my small cooler running all day off the BLUETTI. I could charge the 2 batteries of my bike in 90 minutes from 70 - 75% to 100%. (front-> 17.5 Ah, rear-> 14 Ah). In the field I charge to 100% for the range insurance. I was camped in a high valley at 7,500 ft. and at 80 years of age and that altitude the bike helped me cover a LOT more ground than walking would have. (Yeah, I'm a geezer but still fit.)

The biggest problem was the orange to grapefruit sized volcanic rocks scattered everywhere. I had to stop riding in the steeper terrain due to those damnable rocks.
But hey, all the tech worked extremely well and I'm truly a happy camper - if not a happy hunter.
Eric B.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Two weeks ago I went on my first E-MTB powered antelope hunt in north central Nevada (Lander County). With a great rifle and scope and poor shooting I missed FOUR antelope. Aaaarrrggghhh! Turns out I had the wrong ballistic hold-overs taped inside my scope cap. Anyway, all else went swimmingly.
MY MAIN GEAR: 1.) E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown AWD bike W/ two batteries & one charging port, a patented feature on my bike.
2.) BLUETTI AC200 MAX lithium iron phosphate "solar" battery
3.) Off Grid TREK 220 watt folding solar blanker (cable locked to my CX-5 roof racks) to charge the BLUETTI.

The OG TREK solar blanket kept the BLUETTI charged AND kept my small cooler running all day off the BLUETTI. I could charge the 2 batteries of my bike in 90 minutes from 70 - 75% to 100%. (front-> 17.5 Ah, rear-> 14 Ah). In the field I charge to 100% for the range insurance. I was camped in a high valley at 7,500 ft. and at 80 years of age and that altitude the bike helped me cover a LOT more ground than walking would have. (Yeah, I'm a geezer but still fit.)

The biggest problem was the orange to grapefruit sized volcanic rocks scattered everywhere. I had to stop riding in the steeper terrain due to those damnable rocks.
But hey, all the tech worked extremely well and I'm truly a happy camper - if not a happy hunter.
Eric B.
High velocity rifle verses antelope, that's so brave. Maybe strap some antlers to your head and try fighting one, see who wins.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Not up to your standards but sorting out rabbits for a few farmers was the reason I got into ebikes. My little .22 rimfire is unwieldy enough on my back whilst bombing around fields.
IMG-20230913-WA0004.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Not up to your standards but sorting out rabbits for a few farmers was the reason I got into ebikes. My little .22 rimfire is unwieldy enough on my back whilst bombing around fields. View attachment 125905
What is on the barrel? A bar grip, silencer, dirt cover?

Back in my hunting days, on northern Vancouver Island, I wish I had an eMTB for our network of logging roads. There’s an eBike available now that could probably carry our game once dressed. (Black tail deer).

I eventually used a bow (Browning Mirage and a PSE) which yielded much fewer game but the challenge was far greater and more satisfying. But my hunting days are over now. The taste of gravel, dirt and wood is not as good though…but I’ll get use to it. 😉

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
It's a silencer or as the police call them, moderator with some camo tape. That's my old rifle that is used mainly with night vision. I also have a Browning T bolt with a laminate stock for day use.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
@Litehiker , sounds like an epic adventure. How many people use Ebikes for practical purposes and not just riding trails?
Did you actually carry the Bluetti on the bike or does it live with the vehicle at camp? ⛰️🚴☀️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles