My Emtb life ( Ongoing Blog ): Current bike: Haibike Sduro Hardseven 2.5

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
What did you use to tighten up the lock nut on the chainring cant get it to bite enough to tighten up
These style of pliers / wrench
Screenshot_2023-02-06-20-50-28-917-edit_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Remember that nut is reverse thread

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Did try with an adjustable but just kept popping off ordered a 36mm socket hope i get better lUck with that
Are we on the same bike ?
You should be able to hand taught that nut initially and then tighten it with a tool !!
Have you fitted the washers behind the chainring first ? The nut should be direct against the outside of chainring.

Any pics ?

Rhys99

Jan 31, 2023
Newtown
Are we on the same bike ?
You should be able to hand taught that nut initially and then tighten it with a tool !!
Have you fitted the washers behind the chainring first ? The nut should be direct against the outside of chainring.

Any pics ?
Haibike hardseven2.5 Got it on in the end just had to get it started on the spline to expose enough threads to get lock nut started found it awkward cuz of size of spanner i was using

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Haibike hardseven2.5 Got it on in the end just had to get it started on the spline to expose enough threads to get lock nut started found it awkward cuz of size of spanner i was using
Cool, what offset chainring did you get ? Did you also have to get the Bosch chainring ?

Rhys99

Jan 31, 2023
Newtown
Cool, what offset chainring did you get ? Did you also have to get the Bosch chainring ?
Exact same as yours mate yeah fit fine in the end and shifts flawlessly just having trouble with headset being too tight then tightened down but then loosen it a bit and then theres play in forks so gonna take it off and have a look if anythings in wrong

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Exact same as yours mate yeah fit fine in the end and shifts flawlessly just having trouble with headset being too tight then tightened down but then loosen it a bit and then theres play in forks so gonna take it off and have a look if anythings in wrong
Sounds like an issue with your compression ring mate, have you got it the right way ?
Did you replace both the upper and lower cups for the bearings to fit correctly?
Make sure your bearings are the right way as they have a slight chamfer for correct fit and also use the crown race provided as I'm sure I had that issue until I swapped the crown race !

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Rhys99

Jan 31, 2023
Newtown
Sounds like an issue with your compression ring mate, have you got it the right way ?
Did you replace both the upper and lower cups for the bearings to fit correctly?
Make sure your bearings are the right way as they have a slight chamfer for correct fit and also use the crown race provided as I'm sure I had that issue until I swapped the crown race !

Hope that helps
Turned out to be a problem with bottom bearing the inside metal sleeve on it was on a slight angle must have happened when i was putting forks back on feels much better now hopefully feels fine when i go for a ride

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Turned out to be a problem with bottom bearing the inside metal sleeve on it was on a slight angle must have happened when i was putting forks back on feels much better now hopefully feels fine when i go for a ride
Awesome, it's a good feeling sorting stuff out isn't it saves loads in the long run not having to keep going back to a bike shop.

Rear mech and motor are the only surviving OEM parts on my bike now and after today's ride I'm on 2991 miles.

I don't want to sound patronising ( just offering my advice that I learnt the hard way lol ) take it for a test but not too excessive and then loosen that stem and tighten that top cap slightly as it will most likely have a slight bit of play in it after the first ride. You'll then be reet to go. Oh..... Make sure you redo the stem lol.

Rhys99

Jan 31, 2023
Newtown
Awesome, it's a good feeling sorting stuff out isn't it saves loads in the long run not having to keep going back to a bike shop.

Rear mech and motor are the only surviving OEM parts on my bike now and after today's ride I'm on 2991 miles.

I don't want to sound patronising ( just offering my advice that I learnt the hard way lol ) take it for a test but not too excessive and then loosen that stem and tighten that top cap slightly as it will most likely have a slight bit of play in it after the first ride. You'll then be reet to go. Oh..... Make sure you redo the stem lol.
Yea mate sounds expensive buying all the tools at first but not bad something breaks buy tool for it plus the part,advice taken thank you

Rhys99

Jan 31, 2023
Newtown
Just went to clean chain and noticed the chainring was wobbling looks like a problem with the offset did you use another spacer when you fitted yours ?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Just went to clean chain and noticed the chainring was wobbling looks like a problem with the offset did you use another spacer when you fitted yours ?
Ah.... I thought I just had a problem with that. Yes I had to purchase a shim washer ( 30mm ID x 42mm OD x 1mm thickness.

I bought a bag of 10 but you will only need 1 and place it inner the chainring and spacer.

So you will have working inwards...
Lock nut
Chainring
Spacer
1mm Shim washer*
Inner spacer

*If you want I can send you a couple over ( 1st class ) for free ? Obviously private message your address if you decide you want me to send you some but should be easy to source if not

Rhys99

Jan 31, 2023
Newtown
Ah.... I thought I just had a problem with that. Yes I had to purchase a shim washer ( 30mm ID x 42mm OD x 1mm thickness.

I bought a bag of 10 but you will only need 1 and place it inner the chainring and spacer.

So you will have working inwards...
Lock nut
Chainring
Spacer
1mm Shim washer*
Inner spacer

*If you want I can send you a couple over ( 1st class ) for free ? Obviously private message your address if you decide you want me to send you some but should be easy to source if not
That would be amazing mate ill see if i can find out how to message ya now haha so i got the chairing the the stock spacer then the shim washer how do you mean inner spacer ? Thanks

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
That would be amazing mate ill see if i can find out how to message ya now haha so i got the chairing the the stock spacer then the shim washer how do you mean inner spacer ? Thanks
There's usually one inside the spindle going into the motor kind of, you might need to pry it out if ever needed but if you've not noticed it then don't worry. I regrease it all etc regularly so that's how I know lol.

Click on my profile and message, I will send you a message too.

Rhys99

Jan 31, 2023
Newtown
Spacers arrived thanks again mate,however when i put them in order u stated as in the shim washer at back i found it was rubbing on motor and making chainring stiff to pedal but put it infront of the stock spacer not internal one and it runs smooth did u not have that problem ? 👍

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Spacers arrived thanks again mate,however when i put them in order u stated as in the shim washer at back i found it was rubbing on motor and making chainring stiff to pedal but put it infront of the stock spacer not internal one and it runs smooth did u not have that problem ?
No probs mate, glad you sorted it I will have to have another look cos I'm sure I placed in the order I said ! But it makes sense what you're saying. I definitely don't have any rubbing etc.

Rhys99

Jan 31, 2023
Newtown
No probs mate, glad you sorted it I will have to have another look cos I'm sure I placed in the order I said ! But it makes sense what you're saying. I definitely don't have any rubbing etc.
Yeqh all good now maybe need to fine tune gearing but will see after my next ride,dont suppose ya got a fix for the battery rattle as thats next thing on my mind haha hear u can get shims of sort for it ?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Yeqh all good now maybe need to fine tune gearing but will see after my next ride,dont suppose ya got a fix for the battery rattle as thats next thing on my mind haha hear u can get shims of sort for it ?
Yeah I got a fix, will provide details tomoz mate bit complicated to explain via text so will do a quick vid for you.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Got the broken bolt out from the Defy 35.

Titanium drill bit into broken bolt,
IMG_20230508_145048.jpg

used a thread tap thingy to catch onto the broken bolt and began to push thread it out,
IMG_20230508_145137.jpg

this was working until the threading bit snapped lol ( only to me !! ),
IMG_20230508_145301.jpg

Drilled into the other end of the broken bolt, now it had a good portion of drilled hole and had worked out close enough to force a hex bit into and take the bolt out.
IMG_20230508_145314.jpg

IMG_20230508_145349.jpg

Bit of a bodge job but it's job done
Just need to source a new bolt now

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Decided to get a bit more bite up front and upgraded to a 203mm rotor.

Purchased 2 disks ( cheapish ) to see if the left over mount( 160-180 ) from previous forks would work.... Tested and could see the caliper was a wee bit low, added a washer to each side and re-tested...

That's much better aligned and hopefully will do the job

Still needs a bit more bedding I think but the initial testing was good.

Will fit the second rotor onto my spare wheel set.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
My lad ( 12 years old ) decided he wanted to ride again ( last time was a good few years ago and ended with a bad fall which put him off completely) and bought himself his 1st real MTB today.

View attachment 118642

Absolute bargain albeit needing a few upgrades in the near future.

Will be starting with baby steps with him but so excited that I will have him as a ride buddy.

He can out grow this and move onto my Scott aspect 29er in a few years and then my youngest ( 6 ATM ) can then have this when he's ready to be our ride buddy

The future is bright.....

kooeell

Jul 14, 2023
Serbia
Hey @Slymobi, did you manage to figure out the standard for mounting the chainring? I am pretty much in the same situation as the one in which you found yourself previously, in that i damaged the original Miranda chainring, Haibike support are completely useless, and ultimately after having purchased two chainrings, one of which is a Raceface Bosch gen 4 mount type, none of them fit... The motor on my bike is Yamaha PW-ST and the number of teeth on the mount is the same as on the Bosch gen4 standard, 28 teeth, but the ones on the Raceface chainring seem to be a bit wider than those on the original Miranda chainring.

Thanks

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Hey @Slymobi, did you manage to figure out the standard for mounting the chainring? I am pretty much in the same situation as the one in which you found yourself previously, in that i damaged the original Miranda chainring, Haibike support are completely useless, and ultimately after having purchased two chainrings, one of which is a Raceface Bosch gen 4 mount type, none of them fit... The motor on my bike is Yamaha PW-ST and the number of teeth on the mount is the same as on the Bosch gen4 standard, 28 teeth, but the ones on the Raceface chainring seem to be a bit wider than those on the original Miranda chainring.

Thanks
The kmc gen 4 which is in this thread somewhere is what works for me but another person with exactly the same motor and bike has said that the kmc one didn't fit his !
I've had 3 of the kmc chainrings now so they definitely fit mine lol.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles