My Emtb life ( Ongoing Blog ): Current bike: Haibike Sduro Hardseven 2.5

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Sorry to bump this subject, but did you by any chance get a reply out of Haibike on this faulty part yet?

I have the 2021 Hardnine 5 with exactly the same issue which I sadly found out to my peril whilst over 15Km from home out on the trails recently. I got a puncture on my front wheel and when I went to change it, the front axle FKA117-00 was so ceased into the fork that I sheered the hub cap in the same way as you have above.

Needless to say, I wasn't best pleased having to push my 2 month old, 24Kg bike all the way home.!!

NOT HAPPY with what is clearly a sub standard part. So any update would be appreciated. :)
Sorry to hear you had the same issue, Haibike absolutely deny responsibility stating it shouldn't have done that and that maybe the shop I purchased it from broke it and tried to repair it after !!.... Bike shop said they would begin a warranty claim and never got back to me lol. Both bike shop and Haibike support have been shocking and ended up just buying a new one myself ( which actually was ordered, delivered and installed before I even got any response from bike shop or Haibike ).

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Haibike response
IMG_20211007_192445.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Just bought some 2nd hand Rockshox 29 120mm travel forks, hoping that going to a 29 doesn't throw anything out too much, only 120mm travel Vs current 130mm so maybe that will balance it out ! gotta be better than the standard suntour I have now though lol.

Waiting for delivery and then I will attempt installation myself .

TBC...
IMG_20211013_213539.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
After the dropper failure I decided to buy a 2nd hand suspension post, got an xlc suspension post from eBay thinking not to break the bank and to test first ( can always upgrade or get a new dropper if becomes clear I prefer dropper over suspension ) so.... Today I had my first test with the post:
On tarmac, pathway, gravel terrain it's ok but not as squashy as the failed dropper was so wasn't feeling any real major benefits over a standard post, very slight suspension and I could probably alter the tension a bit to suit for that terrain But... Get off road onto the rocky, muddy and damn right bumpy stuff then wow this thing came into action and really got to work. It will not make your seat more comfortable as such but it swallows the impacts like ... ( well I will let you input your own definitions here ) .
Really good first impressions and feels like it's absorbing a huge amounts of impacts when needed and not overly springy on the rebound.
As of now I'm happy with the xlc suspension post.
IMG_20211014_194956.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
..... Rockshox continued: So was super excited when they arrived and soon got into fitting. The crown race that came was not compatible with the headtube on haibike so I had to go into battle getting the current one off my suntour forks, eventually got it off and re- fitted onto the Judy. Cleaned and re-greased all the bearings and headset etc and went to fit the stem found out I'm about 15mm short. Don't know why I didn't realise that a 174mm steerer would be too short as I had calculated / measured something numerous times and deciding that 174mm would just be enough ( low but would fit ok )... I was wrong lol. I'm already using a low profile stack stem at 30mm and the only other choice I could find was a dmr defy at 27mm but cost and delivery for available options were out of this month's budget. I could just about get the top most stem section to clamp but just didn't feel comfortable in knowing how borderline it was so got a cheap headset that looked quite low profile to try and then if needed I would dmr defy next month to get a safer clamping. Today the headset was delivered and was shocked that half the sections were missing most importantly the lower profile top cup !! Absolutely gutted and needing something for a solution I started trying mixing certain parts from old and new headsets... Eventually I have got it fitted, greased and runs smooth. Super low profile but accurate clamping on the stem.
IMG_20211019_211237.jpg

Last edited:

Ian222

Oct 19, 2021
England
Looking good. New to all this myself. What Bosch motor is that? I see you have a chain guide is that as standard? Have you had any issues with your chain coming off?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Looking good. New to all this myself. What Bosch motor is that? I see you have a chain guide is that as standard? Have you had any issues with your chain coming off?
Thanks, The motor is Yamaha PWST not a Bosch. Yeah the chain guard came as standard and funnily enough only yesterday was my first ever encounter with a chain coming off lol.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Another check box ticked off tonight . Complete rear maintenance including full hub and cassette clean / regrease. A whole lot easier than expected and pretty chuffed seeing as it's my first ever attempt, The most I'd ever done on all my bikes in my life was inner tubes lol and now the only thing left to learn is the front fork maintenance. On the road to success and step further to never having to visit a lbs for a service ( which I've never done or intend to do lol ). No big fête for most but learning as I go.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Fork maintenance is not the last I need to learn lol, today after numerous punctures I also discovered my rear is so off true to the point it looks and feels buckled !!
Not having a spoke tool and nothing except a small adjustable spanner that would fit a spoke eye thingy I got to work... I'm baffled and have no idea what I'm doing but I believe you have to tension / detention the opposite sides to get it trued etc and I must say after about an hour I got it to an acceptable balance but had to give up, it's much much better than it was and the remaining might be down to buckle ! My disc rotor is perfect so not concerned about the hub at this point as I've only just done maintenance on that. Might have another playaround soon or just end up buying some new wheels and keep these as a spare set.

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
New tyres and Chainring arrived, just waiting for the new cassette and then I can replace my chainset.
IMG_20211113_132708.jpg
IMG_20211113_132420.jpg

Edit: The
KMC Chain ring for Bosch E-Bike Gen 4 38 teeth | Black | Bolt circle: direct mount mm | Design fits fine on spline but needed an additional 1mm thickness 30mmIDx42mmOD shim washer fitted behind the spacer.

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Cassette came so today was service day. Started with the cassette which was easy, already fitted new tyres the other day.
Onto the chain in which I had purchased like for like but when layed out it was though the new was a link or 2 shorter ( maybe the old was stretched more than I had measured !! ) So whilst the chain is off I Next serviced my rear mech and pulleys which were not worn but in need of a good clean and service.
Then I turned to the chainring. The old came off easily as I had serviced this not long back so the process was easy enough but the new Kmc ring has different chainguard fitting alignment so unable to put the guard back on lol, not to worry and continued to fit the new chainring when I notice that the offset is not the same ( new one has a spacer included so will see how it goes ) also teeth fitting just doesn't look right !! Both are the 28 teeth type but my existing is more square teeth looking and the new is more V teeth looking but seemed to align correct.
New Chainring did not slip onto the bottom bracket as easy as the old one etc. Tried tapping it in but no joy so I thought to just try and tighten up the locknut to pull it in.... This worked and looks correct once taught. Now back to the chain, fitted easy enough but gearing has altered drastically. So after fitting my cranks back etc and lubing the cassette and chain a little I tried a test ride, yep gearing is dreadful. Lots of unsuccessful messing around with tension I finally got the gearing to work by adjusting my high gear alignment and B tension and it's ok I think for now. I will have to see how it is after a few rides and maybe look at adding an extra link.
Another tick for the learning as I go.
IMG_20211118_092600.jpg
IMG_20211118_122939.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
So lots of chainsuck occuring since changing chainset etc never had this previous so I will have to work on what's the issue exactly but to save future issues I've decided to buy a spider so I don't have to go through all the hunting for available chainrings again. Hoping that having a spider will when needed make it easier to find parts and upgrades. The spider will offer me BCD 104 so I reckon that's pretty easy to source chainrings for.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Good news that since removing my modded chainring guard thingy that fits onto the chainring I've not experienced the chain suck so hopefully that's the last of that lol. My Spider is due for delivery today so will look at getting a narrow wide custom at some point but no rush until it's needed as the new direct mount chainring is fine ATM. Got my gearing dialled in now with some fine tuning so back to full working order. The Hans Dampfs are feeling really good, a lot quieter than the Tough Tom's and feel like they have less resistance on road !

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Having some issues with some kind of gear slips and I'm almost certain it's my motor. Before I take the motor apart to inspect the gearing / bearings etc I'm going to change my cassette and chainring again ( definitely not worn on either as only been 2 months since cassette,chainring and chain fitted ) but opted for a sunrace cassette and will try the new spider mount with a wide narrow chainring this time. Needed to buy an arm puller too so I can get that direct mount chainring off again lol. More for my records the reason I'm posting but will update as and when. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's not motor internals that need attention !
IMG_20220126_175930.jpg

Update: replaced my whole chain set again as well as taking the motor off completely and giving the motor a really good clean and greased where I could get to. Seems 90% better but still every now and then I get the issue ( really hard to explain ) but I'm now thinking it might be a slight issue with chainring offset and having the super narrow chainring ( narrow wide is just not available for this bike ) even Haibike have said no option for spider setup available for the hardseven 2.5

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Narrow wide chainring arrived and fitted onto the spider ready for installation.
IMG_20220128_192931.jpg
IMG_20220128_192951.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220128_192931.jpg
    IMG_20220128_192931.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
FML losing the will to live now.
Bought another new spider ( FSA Yamaha PW spider and fitted the chainring, went to fit on the bike and this one doesn't fit either FFS !! This one is way to big for the teeth fitting.

So the story so far is that I want to move away from direct mount chainring and use a spider so I can access / source different chainrings easier:

I have the Yamaha PW series ST motor.

Bought a KMC Bosch gen 4 direct mount chainring that fits, why is a Yamaha motor needing a Bosch chainring !!

Bought a Bosch gen 4 spider that doesn't fit, how can this be different to the above fitting ?

Bought a Yamaha PW spider that doesn't fit, This is much wider diameter than the fitting on the bike.

Totally at a loss and not just in pocket.
IMG_20220202_135541.jpg
IMG_20220202_135622.jpg
IMG_20220202_135632.jpg
IMG_20220202_140128.jpg
IMG_20220202_140715.jpg

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Decided to give up on trying to fit a non direct mount setup, just too unclear for sourcing parts and Haibike support are as useful as a chocolate fireguard along with my dealer for gaining correct chainring standard needed.

You get what you get and don't get upset

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Bike related Birthday present, front and rear tannus.
Topeak mini 20.
New ear warmer head band.
2 x goggles.
New zefal rear mudguard ( seat tube version as my frame mount broke ).

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_073720.jpg
    IMG_20220216_073720.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
ARRRRRRGH !!! Something is broke yet again...
Hopped out to test the tannus ( fine by the way ), no speed sensor. The display is working, and it gives me power for about 20 seconds but no speed displaying ( just 0 ), motor then stops giving power. Turn off and on and repeat.... NO ERROR displays or codes in diagnostic check. Checked all connectors ( took the entire motor out ), no damages or corrosion, connectors are dry, magnet is aligned. Happy birthday to me FFS

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Got rid of the haibike fork decals and swapped for Rockshox.

Made one of them youtube chain guides to hopefully keep this damn chain on when i hit a pebble. ( Kept it loose against the frame to allow it to move sideways when gearing ).

Got tired of my knee pads slipping so ( no pics unfortunately ) ive sewn them into my cycling shorts lol ( should work or be very uncomfortable if they slip and pull the shorts down with them
IMG_20220315_184216.jpg
IMG_20220315_184337.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
The youtube inspired chain guide has been a success, no chain off today and my self sewn knee pads to under cycling shorts has worked too with zero riding or slipping throughout my ride.

All in all a pretty good days ride out.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles