Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Couldn't resist
IMG_20210522_103227.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
I'm a sucker for all things anodised and/or CNC'd but I dont think even I would trust aluminium in such a critical area when the original is a high tensile steel. Depends how hard you push I guess. Do racers use them? I honestly dont know.

Seat clamp:
I try not to sit too much as i get more control and feel much more comfortable standing / squatting so i think it will be fine.
Rotor bolts: I'm quite a confident rider so maybe not pushed to the limit but they've not failed me yet. Theres a standard 6 bolts in each rotor so i would be shocked if they all failed at once which would result in such a "critical" manner.
I check all components before every ride so if they or anything else shows wear or signs of needed attention im on it.

I may have miss understood your point but im pretty sure All parts must meet a minimum standard and ive had no issues to worry about to date.

Last edited:

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I check all components before every ride so if they or anything else shows wear or signs of needed attention im on it.

I may have miss understood your point but im pretty sure All parts must meet a minimum standard and ive had no issues to worry about to date.

A rotor bolt wont show signs of wear or needing attention, if its gonna fail it will just fail.

Do the bolts you used have 'minimum standards' for use as an actual rotor bolt? I know of someone who sheared the head off an anodised alloy bolt just doing it up on the disc.

The chances of all 6 failing are remote I have to agree, but its not something I would use on a disc thats all. Fit what you like. They do look good as I say.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
A rotor bolt wont show signs of wear or needing attention, if its gonna fail it will just fail.

Do the bolts you used have 'minimum standards' for use as an actual rotor bolt? I know of someone who sheared the head off an anodised alloy bolt just doing it up on the disc.

The chances of all 6 failing are remote I have to agree, but its not something I would use on a disc thats all. Fit what you like. They do look good as I say.
Thanks for the information, i will look into replacing them just to be safe.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Decided to get a floor pump as my hand pump isn't very good for higher psi.
On order: New brake pads, bleed kit with Shimano mineral oil, exercise bands ( to wrap around frame when using the shotgun seat ) and a manual dropper 100mm. Decided to go manual and not break the bank to see if I actually benefit from a dropper first, if I like I will upgrade to a better remote dropper as and when.

Last edited:

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Perhaps, inflating your tires with that friggin amazing floor pump will inspire another post! Imagine the adventure and excitement that could bring! Go for it!

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
More for my own comfort i thought id try a cheap pair of padded cycling shorts. £8 Crane shorts from Aldi lol, Feels a bit strange and can only image a giant sanitary pad in my head but went for a 15 miler today and they have definitely made the ride more comfortable.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Todays ride has brought my total milage on this bike to 900 miles . Bought in late February and still going strong. Love this bike.
IMG_20210707_131552.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Thruaxle totally snapped off at the allen key end !!

So was trying to remove the front wheel for maintenance and the thruaxle was really tight. ive not tightened it to this level and when applying the force needed to undo its totally sheared the end of the bolt off

im pretty certain its not supposed to do that now im left with an axle that useless, luckily there is just enough to get an allen key in to remove it.

Ruined my day.

IMG_20210801_110850.jpg
IMG_20210801_110907.jpg
IMG_20210801_110916.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
As soon as you put FKA117-00 into Google it throws up loads of sellers including UK ebay sellers

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
strange, all i get is the suntour spec pdf about 50 entries of the same pdf. will try on another browser and see.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I suppose its a semi quick release. its a full length thruaxle with allen key head, no little handle thing attached on the end.
issue im having is getting a replacement as suntour dont list what thread pitch its using.

all i seem to find are rockshox axles which are different to suntours.

Found some on wiggle but they cant help identify which i need due to the thread pitch info not being available by suntour .

ive looked on robertaxleproject.com and measured my axle but it looks like the thread pitch is 1.75 and wiggle only seem to have 1.5 and no sign of ever having a 1.75 lol

Think i may have found one but waiting for reply from LBS ( purchased bike from ) and Haibike customer support warranty claim.
Yea I have this weird thingy as tru axle

First time trying to undo this i almost broke it

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
No reply from official Haibike customer support, LBS is waiting for warranty confirmation.... im left with no rideable bike so took the plunge and ordered from ebay. Item has come today and all fitted before ive even had a reply from Haibike . I must be on the naughty list lol.
IMG_20210805_141712.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
The ( ended up being free in the end after refund lol ) manual dropper post became end of life yesterday after trying to service it, it had become more of a suspension post and not giving any drop at all, the spring was feeling way to spongey and was actually bottoming out on mediocre impacts so tried to service it and something had shattered inside ( all I can imagine is that it was like a slave inside ) when taking apart lots of stuff just fell out lol and impossible to put back together. What I did learn here is that having a suspension type seat post on a hardtail was ( when it worked in that manner ) good. Dilemma now is to get a new suspension or dropper post ! I don't think I've seen anything that incorporates both ?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
There is a combined dropper/suspension post (PNW maybe?) but it gets poor reviews.
The Suntour suspension post is good and I've been looking at the BBB version which looks similar. The Thudbuster is another good brand but expensive.

Shadowfax

Oct 5, 2021
Matlock
No reply from official Haibike customer support, LBS is waiting for warranty confirmation.... im left with no rideable bike so took the plunge and ordered from ebay. Item has come today and all fitted before ive even had a reply from Haibike . I must be on the naughty list lol. View attachment 68176

Sorry to bump this subject, but did you by any chance get a reply out of Haibike on this faulty part yet?

I have the 2021 Hardnine 5 with exactly the same issue which I sadly found out to my peril whilst over 15Km from home out on the trails recently. I got a puncture on my front wheel and when I went to change it, the front axle FKA117-00 was so ceased into the fork that I sheered the hub cap in the same way as you have above.

Needless to say, I wasn't best pleased having to push my 2 month old, 24Kg bike all the way home.!!

NOT HAPPY with what is clearly a sub standard part. So any update would be appreciated. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles