My Emtb life ( Ongoing Blog ): Current bike: Haibike Sduro Hardseven 2.5

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Sunrace rdm900 fitted, bit of a pita with the cable routing around the guide wheel on this thing and indexing out of the box ( the upper,lower and tension screws ) was so off it was insane. Need to test my other chains now on this to see if the clutch does fix the issue on them.

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Bike stand tested one of the other chains that was having suck.... Seems ok with this clutch mech. Need a ride to test fully. @Zimmerframe
IMG_20231016_182339.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Seriously in the market for a full suspension..

My budget is restricted somewhat ( I will keep that undisclosed ), but have enough to get something half decent I reckon.

My riding is documented so I feel like I really mix it up baring the full on bike park jumpy stuff but maybe that's due to riding a hardtail tank and suffering from back issues... I reckon a full sus will really soften the rides and not jar the back as much as now.

Current bike is Haibike Hardtail with a 500wh battery that weighs 28.1kg

Ideally what I'm looking for in a new bike is more range less weight minimum of 700wh strict,
The weight is not a riding factor but a lifting factor in my decision as my rides take me places I sometimes need to lift the bike and quite often pulls the back out lol.

I've looked around for days now and have got it down to a few choices but still looking...

Choices as of now are:

Canyon on spectral cf7 / cf8 with the 900wh for epic range and still probably under the weight of the hardtail tank. The cf7 at £4479
Is an insane price and is a very strong option. All reviews show it as a 155 / 150 travel but I think it's been updated with a 160/160 now.

Orbea wild fs h10 with a 750wh battery and much lighter overall but not sure on the exact weights with the 750wh. This is listed at £6499 and can be found cheaper at shops, I've found it as low as £4899 still with all the Fox front and rear spec 160/160
(Fork Fox 38 Float Performance 160 Grip 3-Position QR15x110 E-Bike Optimized
Shock Fox Float X Performance Trunnion 2-Position Adjust custom tune 205x65mm)

Those 2 are the really strong contenders for me up to now....
Other contenders are:

strive on underdog £4749

Nduro 8 ( has really good spec but I think I really want a move away from haibike yet keep getting drawn to this bike and it's spec £5200 lowest I found it for).

Any advice, recommendations, info regarding transitioning from a hardtail over to a full sus or on these bikes is welcome

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
What you need is a nice Heckler with two batteries ;)
22kg ish

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
How about;

Good find, Not a bad specced bike but it's advertised at 27kg which for me is not enough weight saving over the tank I have now.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
What you need is a nice Heckler with two batteries ;)
22kg ish
Haha, did I not see that your buying an orbea ! Trying to offload your cast offs to me
Extremely nice bike mate but swapping all that purple out for green might break the bank lol.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Follow up....
Got the grinder out and got to work,
View attachment 126529
Not the neatest but I can do better if it works out,
View attachment 126530
Bolted the pieces together ( again this can be worked on if needed later ),
View attachment 126531
View attachment 126532
Swapped the inner washer to the outer to counter the chain line difference,
View attachment 126533
View attachment 126534
Attached the locking nut ( This is far more accessible now too ),
View attachment 126535
Took it for a test around the block and it only bloody works absolute zero indexing needed and no signs of suck
Overall working time was under 45 minutes and if this continues to hold up it will save on chainring cost immensely as I only need to source the 104bcd chainrings which are cheap as chips lol.

Hack or bodge
View attachment 126536
This has been working perfectly so I'm in the process of making a 34T version as the current 38T is really noticeable on the steep climbs.
Good idea that I decided to keep all my used kmc chainrings so now I have a stock that I can recreate and make 34T, 36T and 38T versions

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
34T all done in around 25 minutes this time, tested on a short round the block ride and all is good.
Amendments this time were to use a threaded drilled hole so the bolts now thread in and are more secure, added a locking nut on each just to be safe.

IMG_20231027_115108.jpg

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Any advice, recommendations, info regarding transitioning from a hardtail over to a full sus or on these bikes is welcome

I can only give advice, going from heavy full power/full sus (SDURO 7.0) to lightish lower power/full sus (Lyke CF11).

The SDURO weighed in around 26kg, the Lyke is around 19kg. The difference in moving and lifting them is highly noticeable. When riding, the lighter bike feels more sprightly in every way, but I miss the ability to plough through anything like I did on the heavier bike sometimes. CF frame vs Alloy as well I guess.

The lighter bike is superior in every other way - 60nm is more than enough, even for my unfit years. Battery range is comparable, if not slightly better than the SDURO as well.

I'm not really up on the latest and greatest big battery/full power bikes, but I would personally avoid anything with a Shimano motor.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
When it rains, it pours.... more issues with the tank.

Last week or so I've been struggling really bad with sciatica again ( I have a long history with back issues ) and it's been a good few years without this pain ! which has just flared right up again.
Surprisingly the pain is reduced by about 70% when riding so I'm trying to get out to keep moving etc, although it doesn't really help with the pain after the ride lol but that's a price I can bare just about now.....

However slymobi's law is real

The damn bike is a mess and I'm having very annoying intermittent power cut off again BUT it's not the same as previous issues.

So I can get anywhere up to 4 - 6 miles in and the controller shuts off and I lose assist, I can switch the controller back on mid riding to kick the assist back in but it's now at a very reduced power regardless of mode chosen ( eco, std, high ) they all feel the same. I can then ride anywhere from 2-4 minutes before it repeats and switches off.

So now it's time for a very painful bike strip and full diagnostic testing to see if I can find anything obvious....

I'm getting no issues in all diagnostic testing so very much doubt it's the sensor again like last time as it's display readings and diagnostic checks are fine.
I'm an age old victim of the dreaded battery connection issues that are well documented for this bike / battery / motor and have checked, cleaned and adjusted the latches to hold the battery in tight and unlike the usual issue with the loose connection I don't have a single error code in diagnostics nor any when the issue occurs so I'm ruling the loose battery out for definite.

I'm almost certain the type A controller runs from the main battery and does not host its own internal battery as I've seen mentioned before so I reckon I can rule that out too.

The actual controller has no issues either when it's powered.

Spoke magnet is aligned perfectly.

This just leaves the motor !!
Taken completely off the bike and all connections cleaned and checked with no visible damages or corrosion.

Baffled once again. It feels different this time but can't really explain it, it's mainly the reduced power from the modes !! It's strange.

I have another new sensor ordered as it's the easiest and cheapest part to replace but I can't see it being that this time ?

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
new bike time.

My sciatica has all but disappeard since riding, it used to disable me for days at a time, especially at this time of year.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
new bike time.

My sciatica has all but disappeard since riding, it used to disable me for days at a time, especially at this time of year.
Thanks to @Tubby G for bringing the cycle scheme to my attention which means I just gotta hold out until the new job position is in place before the new bike is chosen ( might as well get the benefits of doing it that way ).

Had to have micro discectomy a few years back when I was at my worst with fractured vertebrae and bulging disc etc.I had tried everything and was like a zombie on meds which I just couldn't live that way anymore, for my mental health, missing out on my children growing up and general life I took the surgery as a last choice.
I was told I had numerous issues that would flair back up in time and that the surgery would just be for the sciatic relief of the current issue. That surgery did not go as expected and caused more issues than I or the surgeon imagined but it had relieved the sciatic pain.
I will not go through that surgery again so hoping I can keep active and self manage it better this time.

Gonna keep the beast Haibike as a spare and when my kids are big enough they can get use from it too if I can sort this issue out lol.

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Thanks to @Tubby G for bringing the cycle scheme to my attention which means I just gotta hold out until the new job position is in place before the new bike is chosen ( might as well get the benefits of doing it that way ).

Had to have micro discectomy a few years back when I was at my worst with fractured vertebrae and bulging disc etc.I had tried everything and was like a zombie on meds which I just couldn't live that way anymore, for my mental health, missing out on my children growing up and general life I took the surgery as a last choice.
I was told I had numerous issues that would flair back up in time and that the surgery would just be for the sciatic relief of the current issue. That surgery did not go as expected and caused more issues than I or the surgeon imagined but it had relieved the sciatic pain.
I will not go through that surgery again so hoping I can keep active and self manage it better this time.

Gonna keep the beast Haibike as a spare and when my kids are big enough they can get use from it too if I can sort this issue out lol. Hopefully it's the sensor but if it's the motor then fixing it is not an option as I will just use the new bike all round.
Sounds like a full bouncer will do you the world of good. I work for one of the biggest employers of people in the world, they dont do the cycle to work scemes !!! Gits.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
The bike managed 4.8 miles today before cutting out ! I had moved the sensor magnet a couple of mm closer to test but nope.

So today I have for the second time fully cleaned the battery connectors and all wire plug connectors etc.
Also making sure the battery is compact with padding and moving the latches tight.
I have also fitted the new sensor so tomorrow I will test again !!

Tedious work lol.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You don't fancy a separate fault finding thread to try and mash out what the problem might be ???

It's kind of the perfect bike .. it's got the physical makeup of a super lightweight (hardtail) so psychologically is easy to throw around when descending .. yet weighs in as a super heavy weight for that planted bulldozer feel when descending - whilst elevating you to god like status for hanging on as ... it's a hardtail .. It's just ahead of it's time in the future Super light really really heavy weight category - Guess that would be called "Cottage Cream" or something or maybe Ribot in France.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
You don't fancy a separate fault finding thread to try and mash out what the problem might be ???

It's kind of the perfect bike .. it's got the physical makeup of a super lightweight (hardtail) so psychologically is easy to throw around when descending .. yet weighs in as a super heavy weight for that planted bulldozer feel when descending - whilst elevating you to god like status for hanging on as ... it's a hardtail .. It's just ahead of it's time in the future Super light really really heavy weight category - Guess that would be called "Cottage Cream" or something or maybe Ribot in France.
Separate thread will most likely result in lots of unhelpful suggestions of things i have already eliminated. i am 99% sure its the motor but not on what component.

I've already been through numerous issues with cut outs but this is very different as it produces zero errors in diagnostics.

I love the Heavyweight superlight reference The tank is definitely a ploughing beast.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Separate thread will most likely result in lots of unhelpful suggestions of things i have already eliminated.
Exactly, we need our weekend entertainment :-D

i am 99% sure its the motor but not on what component.
Have you chatted with @Bearing Man ? I know he's in this as a business but he can be exceedingly helpful ! You could call or PM him with all the info you know already so he doesn't have to work through it. Obviously it's not a guaranteed fix, but at least you know you've covered every option before you have to start a new blog thread ! :)

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Exactly, we need our weekend entertainment :-D

Have you chatted with @Bearing Man ? I know he's in this as a business but he can be exceedingly helpful ! You could call or PM him with all the info you know already so he doesn't have to work through it. Obviously it's not a guaranteed fix, but at least you know you've covered every option before you have to start a new blog thread ! :)
I have PM'd and emailed Yes. no reply as yet but its only been a few days so will hold out on creating the new thread lol.

just read a similar issue was resolved with a new battery but im not convinced they had the same exact issue as it sounded more like the connector issue but if a battery has a damaged cell how does one find that out ? surely that would throw an error at least !

The battery holds and chargers like it always has, new sensor fitted and the side display / controller type A definitely doesn't have its own internal battery. Ive got my battery as tight in the downtube as it can be ( almost impossible now to budge ) so no random movements for disconnection.

Whats even stranger now is..... that once the initial cut out occurs it will also repeat even if im just coasting with no motor use at all lol.

such a shame as the only thing that's been bullet proof and reliable with this Haibike was the motor.

Hey Zimmer, You wanna buy a super light heavy weight ahead of its time tank ?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Just stumbled upon this company, might be local to you

Yeah quite local and appreciate the info. My concern with this is that they only offer a circuit inspection! no mention of replacement etc. I know performance line has the pw-st board as a replacement.
I have nothing to lose really as i think the Tank is at its end of ride life so my next step is to crack open the pw-st myself to investigate any obvious concern i just cant justify keep replacing possible solution components and finding out it wasn't that ! by the time i find the actual culprit of the issue i will have probably spent the cost of a replacement beast lol.
If it was a definite motor / battery issue then replacing this / that wouldn't be so bad but i can guarantee it will be the last thing I tried that was the cause.
just a quick look and a replacement motor,battery and side display is totalling minimum £1200+ and I've already spent £30 on a sensor that wasn't needed.
It would be nice to get the bike back running but weighing up the possible needed replacements and cost its now looking grim for the Tank. Its served me well and in all honesty the battery, display and motor are the only original parts left on this bike.
Most likely go in the shed of dread with the analogues lol until parts become cheaper to find and replace.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
thought i would grab the screens from diagnostics.

seems ok to me
IMG_20231118_113924.jpg
IMG_20231118_113840.jpg

motor rotation was fine, i just forgot to tick it off.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Well that was easy, all cleaned up the best i can, regreased and sealed. managed a round the block test and its working still.

Just need to get out for a range test to see if by just disconnecting all electrics and circuits etc has maybe done something good.

If the issue still occurs then i will need to research how to test for a damaged cell but i still think that would throw an error in diagnostics?

Was good getting into the motor and being able to put it all back successfully lol.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
pmsl... couldnt make this shit up !!

Earlier i went for a quick 5 mile ride to see if i get the issue, stick it in high power to try and drain some bars... as im thinking the issue may be occurring at a certain discharge level ?

however, i get 0.5 miles in and get the ER 71 error lol ( This is usually the loose connection error ), so the bikes power cuts out and i switch it back on... assist restored,
check display diagnostics and its showing error 71 twice ! clear the errors and continue for a 5.01 mile ride without issue.

All fun and games.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
This is a part that fits onto the Yamaha xr1-10 500wh battery to clamp into the downtube locking mech,
Screenshot_2023-11-19-21-06-02-129-edit_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

and then at the bottom end ( nearest motor ) the battery connects into a similar plate that has the connection pins etc.
I am wanting to try and replace this connection plate part but for the life of me i can't find the part probably due to not knowing the terminology of the parts name lol.
For some reason ive got D.C plug receptacle in my head but thats not really returning any search success.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles