E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
These are the ones I'm using.
tapatalk_1447643091_324x373.jpg

kooeell

Jul 14, 2023
Serbia
Thanks lots for the quick reply, i guess i don't have much choice then... Did you ever have any issues with chain drop? My problems began when i bent the original chainring, which i had repaired by having it bent back which made my chain drop very often, which chain do you use and how many links does it have? I recently ordered the Shimano CN-E6090 with 138 links which i hope should suffice.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Thanks lots for the quick reply, i guess i don't have much choice then... Did you ever have any issues with chain drop? My problems began when i bent the original chainring, which i had repaired by having it bent back which made my chain drop very often, which chain do you use and how many links does it have? I recently ordered the Shimano CN-E6090 with 138 links which i hope should suffice.
The chain guide stopped the chain drop but I did and recently started having chain suck which I fix by making a DIY chain catcher.
The chains I use are also kmc 9 speed and are usually 116 links. 138 links seems way too many for a 9 speed mate.
I think I've even used a 114 link chain which was fine too, the main thing is to get the correct speed chain ( 9 speed for me ).

P.s Is your bike the same model as mine ? Haibike Hardseven 2.5 sduro ?

P.p.s - you may need a 1mm spacer behind the kmc chainring to fit as it's slightly thinner than the original.

I know there's a lot to go through here but most of what you need is posted previously.

Last edited:

kooeell

Jul 14, 2023
Serbia
Mines a 10 speed, i figured it would be easier to remove the links rather than add them later.
I thought about using a chain guide but mine doesn't really have any mounting points for one and the seat tube is pretty wide and square-ish.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Mines a 10 speed, i figured it would be easier to remove the links rather than add them later.
I thought about using a chain guide but mine doesn't really have any mounting points for one and the seat tube is pretty wide and square-ish.
Ah ok. I can only really advise on the Hardseven 2.5 but as it's the same motor I can only assume it will be ok

As for your chain, yep that Shimano should be good, yeah removing links better than adding

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
FML.... On the annual lake District retreat and finally got to get out on the bike today ( wish I didn't bother ) thought I'd found a few new routes on kamoot and set out only to end up on a route I did last year, kamoot decided to take me all the way to the start instead of just linking me up from where I was !! Resulting in back tracking about 5 miles to where I had already been. That's when things started to look familiar and realised I was on the same route as last year. Not the end of the world but very disappointing.... And then my dropper decided to just fail, would not stick in any position except fully extended with no weight on or fully dropped if weighted !! Made the ride very hard on the decents and climbs.

Kamoot routes for this area are absolute shite, everytime I end up on the same route or miles of fireroad sucking the life out of me lol.

Need to learn to navigate and plan a route myself I think in future!!

Disaster strikes on a disastrous ride

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
No more riding in the lakes this year.... Ordered a cartridge to see if I can fix the dropper before buying another.
Screenshot_2023-08-02-16-56-38-069-edit_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Hello again mate old account rhys99 stopped working for some reason just curious if you have upgraded wheels ? One of mine is bent and just wondering what you went for and what specs/dimensions
Cheers
Hi mate, yeah I upgraded my wheels initially to octane one solars which I rebuilt myself using the existing spokes and hubs. I felt I did a grand job but it was always stuck in the back of my head that I had done the rebuilding ! so not having 100% trust in my mechanic lol I further upgraded to a set of Miche xmh 30AXY which have been fantastic. I actually use my octane set as the winter set and in all fairness they are fine.
Both sets are still 27.5's.

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Steel city’s looking like it’s in good condition again, it was beginning to get a bit blown out this time last year

That Pub Run trail is rough as fook even on a full suss. Bet it rattled your fillings out on the hardtail
Haha definitely rattled the old bones, my back is killing me today. Steel city was in good condition mainly but had a few blown bits on the berms which were a bit dodgy!! Not sure if it's always been like that or not as it was my maiden visit.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Welcome back to the bike! Such great picture quality, it definitely helps when the sun is shining !
Thanks mate much needed ride and got really lucky with the weather being so nice too. Feels like a lifetime since my back has been fit enough for a good ride so hopefully it will last a while ( weather too lol ) before flaring up again.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks mate much needed ride and got really lucky with the weather being so nice too. Feels like a lifetime since my back has been fit enough for a good ride so hopefully it will last a while ( weather too lol ) before flaring up again.

Maybe a full suspension will cure your back pain 😉

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Maybe a full suspension will cure your back pain
Lol, I have been mentioning it as I reckon it definitely can't be any worse having one but nobody seems to want to buy me one I even do the sneaky talking to the wife's phone when she leaves it around so her in phone mic spy adverts get plastered with emtb stuff but still no new bike !!

Probably cheaper to get some kind of modified futuristic new back than a full sus but if Canyon are watching and want a charity case..... I have zero shame in accepting the handout

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Zimmerframe @steve_sordy @anyone else

Is this worn ? Looks ok to me but I'm no expert so advice appreciated View attachment 126349
A tiny bit .. but not a concern unless the chain is new and it's just started to slip with the new chain. The Teeth are long and if you imagine, the chain is connecting with LOTS of them ..

It looks steel too. Sometimes the cheap aluminium ones wear really quickly and deform and start grabbing the chain and clicking and the connect and release, but I can't imagine you have that.

Not sure what speed you're running, but will certainly invest in a "shadow" (clutch) Shimano deraillier - will stop your suck and stop the chain coming off the chain ring if that happens in the rough stuff.

Weirdly your chainring doesn't look narrow/wide (could be the picture), but that also helps with both of the above.

Derailleur first though ! Try Merlin-Cycles for example .. I think an 11 speed is about €35.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
A tiny bit .. but not a concern unless the chain is new and it's just started to slip with the new chain. The Teeth are long and if you imagine, the chain is connecting with LOTS of them ..

It looks steel too. Sometimes the cheap aluminium ones wear really quickly and deform and start grabbing the chain and clicking and the connect and release, but I can't imagine you have that.

Not sure what speed you're running, but will certainly invest in a "shadow" (clutch) Shimano deraillier - will stop your suck and stop the chain coming off the chain ring if that happens in the rough stuff.

Weirdly your chainring doesn't look narrow/wide (could be the picture), but that also helps with both of the above.

Derailleur first though ! Try Merlin-Cycles for example .. I think an 11 speed is about €35.

Appreciate the input, I will elaborate a little on your advice...

Running 9 speed.
Chainring is steel super narrow direct mount.
I've got a DIY chain guide and catcher that has eliminated the chain jumping off the top and reduces the chain suck slightly to a point where it is not sucking and jamming ( it basically just sucks and sticks a bit whereas without the catcher it would suck and totally jam up if that makes sense ).

Narrow wide advice... It's a long story documented in this thread but short story is : I have a Yamaha pw-st motor which was Miranda chainring OEM ( I can't source this ring ) and after many many different attempts of sourcing a compatible chainring the only one to fit is a KMC Bosch gen 4 !! Which doesn't make any sense to me but it's the ONLY compatible ring. Even other branded gen 4's will Not fit due to their teeth being more square than the kmc version which is more pointy.

Chain is new and lubed well with few different types tested but still getting chain suck on pressured drive, no chain suck on gear shifting or non pressured drive. ( Trying to explain the pressured drive !! - It's like if I'm just slightly peddling or turning the cranks by hand during maintenance etc it's fine, as soon as I put a certain pressure into driving the chain suck starts to develop. At times it's non existent and then bang out the blue it happens ).

Very frustrating as like I said the current chainring is really not that old.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Teeth examples: you can see that the kmc teeth are more pointy than the SRAM ( all others except kmc are more square and not compatible ).

I even went down the route of trying to get a compatible spider so I could use narrow wide stuff but again non of them were compatible on this bike ( Hardseven Sduro 2.5 ) which was a limited edition kind of thing.
Haibike themselves have said that ONLY the Miranda ring is compatible!!
Which was when I discovered the kmc after many a wrong chainring purchased lol.
Screenshot_2023-10-08-22-36-51-054_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
Screenshot_2023-10-08-22-36-05-757_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Hack and bodge job....
Have about 4 of these kmc direct mount chainrings which all have little holes ( x5 ) around them for attaching a guard plate.
I had an unused 104 BCD wide narrow chainring for a spider so aligned up the holes and drilled into it ( x5 ), found some nice fitting bolts with nuts and hey ho simple as that !!

Just need to grind off the existing teeth from the kmc, reverse the bolts and modify my indexing for the new chain line and I reckon I'm good lol.

@Zimmerframe you like ?

IMG_20231010_205240.jpg
IMG_20231010_205307.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Follow up....
Got the grinder out and got to work,
IMG_20231011_094608.jpg

Not the neatest but I can do better if it works out,
IMG_20231011_094539.jpg

Bolted the pieces together ( again this can be worked on if needed later ),
IMG_20231011_094457.jpg

IMG_20231011_094521.jpg

Swapped the inner washer to the outer to counter the chain line difference,
IMG_20231011_094742.jpg

IMG_20231011_094753.jpg

Attached the locking nut ( This is far more accessible now too ),
IMG_20231011_094836.jpg

Took it for a test around the block and it only bloody works absolute zero indexing needed and no signs of suck
Overall working time was under 45 minutes and if this continues to hold up it will save on chainring cost immensely as I only need to source the 104bcd chainrings which are cheap as chips lol.

Hack or bodge
IMG_20231011_095156.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Chainsuck STILL occurring.
Out of ideas now.
You need a clutch ..

I'm pretty sure the Shimano 10 speed is the same ratio as the 9 speed, but the initial alignment is different so you need to space it out 4mm .... (or my mind might be dreaming).. There's plenty of 10 speed shadows for 30-35 ish.

Advent (microshift) do a 9 speed, but you'd probably need a shifter too .. and I'm not sure on the cassette spacing.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Seems odd why it's suddenly occurring frequently now though. Derailleur is the same from purchase and I've had many miles out of this bike without chainsuck with the original derailleur.
I'm now on a new chain( I've tried 3 now ), new cassette and new wide narrow chain ring and still getting the chainsuck !! Makes no sense to me as in the past these are the same components I've changed when experiencing chainsuck which have remedied the issue, the only difference now is switching to the wide/narrow I modified ( It held up to the torque test lol ).
The derailleur tension seems as it's always been but never really looked at that too much, could it have slackened over time ?
I've got a brand new kmc chainring ordered to see if that fixes things !
If it doesn't then I guess I'm gonna have to change up to a 10 speed clutch set-up. Pfffffft lol

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Absolutely bizzare.... Last test I could do prior to parts being delivered was one last chain test, this chain was at the bottom of my pack and only intended for emergencies as it was unbranded cheap as chips tat ? ( 3 for £10 ).
Took the bike out and thought let's give it some abuse in the wet sloppy gritty conditions fully expecting the worst chain suck to date..... NOPE, the smoothest issue free ride out I've had in months !!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles