My Emtb life ( Ongoing Blog ): Current bike: Haibike Sduro Hardseven 2.5

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
A place to document my journey...

I am about 2 months into my first Emtb and 460 miles on the clock, i have been doing a lot of exploring now i can hit the hills that i couldn't before, which has led to an increase of the " what goes up, must come down logic " resulting in some very heavy breaking and also doing a minimum of 20 miles a week average.
Loving the Assistance and getting to places I would never do on the analogue
The bike itself is a heavy Hardtail beast and a lower budget EEB but planning on upgrading parts as I go.
#EnjoyTheRide

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You should be able to adjust the lever stroke to account for pad wear, so that you don't squash your fingers next time you brake. This feature also allows you to adjust the brake lever position for different sized hands.

If there is still pad material above the metal spring that keeps them apart then you are good to go. But if there is almost nothing showing above the spring and you are heading off to somewhere steep gritty and wet, then change the pads before you go! I just changed my rear brake pads because the spring was clicking on the disc! That is sailing a bit too close to the wind, even for me. :giggle:

Resin pads are a good all purpose material, some prefer semi-metallic because they last a bit longer in abrasive conditions, but there are many different pad types. Have a look at Disco Brakes. DiscoBrakes.Com :: Shop :: DiscoBrakes Shop and page down to Tektro.

Also, you ought to be keeping your eye on chain wear. They can wear rapidly on some ebike/rider/location combinations. Once they do, they can trash the rest of the transmission quite rapidly. You can buy cheaply a chain wear gauge (get one with 0.5% and 0.75%), or you can remove the chain and measure it with a metal tape measure. All techniques on YouTube and/or Park Tool.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
I’m a returning noob, someone wiser than me will be along shortly. I’m not sure y can replace the chain without replacing the cassette?
Thanks, the cassette and chain ring are fine, i believe the reasons for swapping out chains regularly is to prolong the cassette and chainring life ?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
just created a diy MRS bottle mount that seems to work really well, goodbye velcro for me
Decided also to do the down tube decal but leaving a trace of the original white lettering to get a 3D effect !! Not so 3D but still looks good will upload pics and explain the procedure tomorrow.

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Daddy day so at the park with the little man riding shotgun.
IMG_20210430_110006.jpg
IMG_20210430_114539.jpg
IMG_20210430_120954.jpg
IMG_20210430_120506.jpg

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
DIY MRS: Quite a simple but effective idea, i just needed something that will fit into the MRS opening but then be able to turn into the sides to lock out.

Just for anyone wondering, you can buy these fittings from Haibike as a kit 'The Multimount' and it's not expensive.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
First ride out on the new tough toms, felt really good and could feel the grip difference to the WTB ranger straight away. Felt the rear slide a couple of times on some sharp turns but like magic auto corrected and i reckon thats the Toms sidewall grip doing its job. Halfway home i got multiple intermittent error 71 and battery kept failing, off on off on seemed to work a few times but only got me about 50 yards each time before it reoccurred. So this has happened to me before and last time i just removed the battery, powered on the control ( this will display fir a split second then go off obviously as theres no battery lol ) check connectors and quick blow to remove any obvious dust etc, install battery and off i went.
Not so easy this time !! I forgot my pliers and spent 45 minutes getting that bloody cover off, i had to use the foot rest bar from the shot gun seat to act as a hammer to slowly knock lift the locking slide on the cover. What a royal pita but once removed the above method once again fixed the error 71 and after a re-fit of the cover and shotgun i was off again without issue. I have now decided to leave the battery cover in its unlocked state as i have the shotgun seat and velco to protect the frame from the seat fittings to hold the cover in place.
Todays ride was a Happy but not happy kind of ride.
Screenshot_20210501-173341.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Hi. Did you figure out what the problem was?
Not specifically but as its happened a few times and removing the battery then putting it back seems to fix it i can only assume its a connector not engaging correctly.
My theory is that even when the battery is locked in place it still has some slight movement ( vertically ) and as we are riding non flat / smooth terrain then its going to bounce around even with the cover holding for extra snugness, add dust, mud, water etc ( even just the slightest ) and this could produce a minor disconnection if the pins are not aligned correctly resulting in the error ?

Simply put i think it might just be a bit of crap that's got in and stopping the battery connection.

Happydog

Dec 16, 2020
Ireland
I have the 1.5 and like you had difficulty removing the battery cover, so I got a strip of skateboard tape and cut a small bit off and stuck it too the metal tap. No problems now

mr wilson

Mar 22, 2020
Nairn, Scotland
The battery issue is a thing apparently. There is some adjustment on the connector plate but I think Haibike supply shims to space the relevant parts properly. There's more about it on the Facebook Haibike owners page.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
I have the 1.5 and like you had difficulty removing the battery cover, so I got a strip of skateboard tape and cut a small bit off and stuck it too the metal tap. No problems now
Good idea but this thing was locked in tight and no grip tape was assisting with this lol. I had to hammer the thing out. Im leaving it unlocked from here on.

Todays upgrade has just arrived and fitted in minutes.

Shorter stem to hopefully help with the shoulder aches, im 6ft+ and its been niggling my shoulders for a while so thought i would try a short stem before getting any kind of raiser. I had to borrow a spacer from my analog lol as this was smaller than the Haibike stem.

Next ride will test.

IMG_20210503_183403.jpg
IMG_20210503_183443.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
The battery issue is a thing apparently. There is some adjustment on the connector plate but I think Haibike supply shims to space the relevant parts properly. There's more about it on the Facebook Haibike owners page.
Mmmm interesting but i do not do faceache lol. Might see if i can get Girlpants to hunt it down for me

mr wilson

Mar 22, 2020
Nairn, Scotland
I sympathise with your feelings regarding Facebook, it's a largely vile construct with very few redeeming features but there are some groups made up of reasonably mature individuals. It just takes a bit of searching to find them.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Testing out alternative eyewear and my old snowboarding goggles are perfect, managed to fasten them to the back of my helmet and they fit great. Very comfortable and not s single steam up.

Might look daft but no more wind tears for me lol.
IMG_20210509_112500.jpg
IMG_20210509_112508.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Redo of the shotgun seat

Decided to revamp the shotgun for 3 reasons:
1. Existing was made from 2mm Aluminium ( or Alooooominum for our overseas friends )and began to warp each time i removed/refitted,
2. Bar length was still a tad short for my lads height,
3. Bar width was 50mm.

So i got some 40mm x 3mm SS and cut 2 x 300mm lengths, Got to work on drilling the holes needed ( What a royal PITA drilling SS is until you know how lol, i initially went through 6 drill bits and had to google to assist ), once i had mastered the technique it was easy and quickly got to fitting, i need to adjust seat angle slightly but will test on daddy day with the boy to see. Once its all set i will remove and coat with black rubber spray paint like previously but hopefully do a better job this time.

Feels much sturdier and gives my lad more leg room now
IMG_20210519_213348.jpg
IMG_20210519_213415.jpg
IMG_20210519_213431.jpg
IMG_20210519_225434.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles