Mudguards ?

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
I don't tend to run mudguards as I always had issues with rubbing, poor fit, rubbing paint of parts of the bike, etc etc, but interested to know if anyone has found something which fits the rail well ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I have Mudhugger Rear Fender Long and Rapidracer Products Proguard front fender.

The rear fender has been absolutely superb. I'm planning to add a small additional part to protect the rear shock and frame. The front fender works well with the Cane Creek Helm fork.

1607506338809.png

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
seems like many people are using front ones modded to fit the back ?, that back one you have def looks like it will stop pretty much everything. Assume it is a cable tie method of securing ?

TR5_20

Nov 22, 2020
Scotland
seems like many people are using front ones modded to fit the back ?, that back one you have def looks like it will stop pretty much everything. Assume it is a cable tie method of securing ?
Also using a rear on my Rail and yes, cable ties to secure. Make sure you use plenty of the supplied tape to protect the frame though, I put on a double layer.

Link

Nov 22, 2020
Surrey
happy days, i have ordered long front which i will mod for the rear. Thinking about a short for the front, but the rear for me is the most important to keep crud off the dropper (AXS) and shock. Do you guys run something on the front ?

Last edited:

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
I run mud hugger long on front... Had shortys before, long is way better. I also bought another long front for the rear( Sam Hill runs this style ) as it looks very sleek. Unfortunatly, it didn`t work on my bike. My main issue with the standard rear mudgaurd piccy above is the look ; )
But also, I went through a set of lower link bearings in one winters riding, so wanted to protect those. Currenty im going to model some pvc to protect the lower linkage and may add the standard rear mud hugger gaurd pictured above with a little cut off...

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Mudhuggers are what you need;

Before picture:
one.jpg

Then hit some dirt with the Rockshox ZEB mudguard on the front:
two.jpg

And the mudhugger on the back:
three.jpg

And, as the other side of the hill is in the snow, it got a natural cleaning:

four.jpg

Still looks great. Hose it down when home, apply some muck-off and all is great.

And yes, because of the snow (~50cm - 1m at the moment), guess not much biking for the next few months....

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
I run mud hugger long on front... Had shortys before, long is way better. I also bought another long front for the rear( Sam Hill runs this style ) as it looks very sleek. Unfortunatly, it didn`t work on my bike. My main issue with the standard rear mudgaurd piccy above is the look ; )
But also, I went through a set of lower link bearings in one winters riding, so wanted to protect those. Currenty im going to model some pvc to protect the lower linkage and may add the standard rear mud hugger gaurd pictured above with a little cut off...
Just reading up on Trek Rail posts , and picked up on this thread.
I run a front n rear mudhugger, ( front looks sweet, rear is ugly as sin, but works! I’ve cobbled a lower rear link protector out of abit of old inner tube( used other bits to protect paintwork for rear mudhugger)
see pic of my botch ?
C26D99AC-E250-4DDE-9A52-0DBD0536AB25.jpeg

RichP

Jul 15, 2018
Chesterfield
Mudhuggers are what you need;

Before picture:
View attachment 47099

Then hit some dirt with the Rockshox ZEB mudguard on the front:
View attachment 47100

And the mudhugger on the back:
View attachment 47101

And, as the other side of the hill is in the snow, it got a natural cleaning:

View attachment 47102

Still looks great. Hose it down when home, apply some muck-off and all is great.

And yes, because of the snow (~50cm - 1m at the moment), guess not much biking for the next few months....
Hi, love the bike...the rear mudhugger not so much, but they are effective! which version is that rear one please?

thanks

Richp

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Another Mudhugger user here. Works really well and paired with a Crud XL front fender keeps most of the crap off.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I think mudhugger is the only way to go . I don’t know of another effective rear mudguard that works , crud front is good but the proguard fitted the zeb fork better . My kids take the puss out of my rear mudguard but I have the last laugh hosing thier backs down , cold and muddy is less cool than an ugly mudguard for me
I
EDD351C2-32DC-4CF0-B975-4E80F3BFA167.jpeg

Last edited:

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
@Kernow which exact front mudhugger is that (crud ....)?

For the front the ZEB works fine there for me, but I guess the extra length might be useful to fend off more mud from coming up.

The only real thing I have to fix is between the seattube and the chainstay especially the lower part (as seen on the previous pic); trying to figure out what guard I could dremel down to fit there perfectly.

Though.... it will all have to wait, as we have a meter of snow here, and with -12C it is a little bit too chilly to have a fun ride (if one can get through the snow at all).... XC skis it is for the moment... oh and snow shoes and sleds of course :)

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
@Kernow which exact front mudhugger is that (crud ....)?

For the front the ZEB works fine there for me, but I guess the extra length might be useful to fend off more mud from coming up.

The only real thing I have to fix is between the seattube and the chainstay especially the lower part (as seen on the previous pic); trying to figure out what guard I could dremel down to fit there perfectly.

Though.... it will all have to wait, as we have a meter of snow here, and with -12C it is a little bit too chilly to have a fun ride (if one can get through the snow at all).... XC skis it is for the moment... oh and snow shoes and sleds of course :)

if your encountering sticky stuff and snow this crud xl fender is the way to go . It can be mounted above or below the fork crown and easy to remove as it’s held on with rubber o rings

3F22489A-B2E2-4CD0-BBF3-108090C2EE6E.png

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Mucky Nutz have these rear mudguards which simply clip on to the saddle for £3.75 at the moment, about £1.50 to post:

I have a rear mudhugger on mine but bought the Mucky Nutz for my gf's bike, impressed with how easy they are to fit and effective at stopping the spray of constant mud & shite

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
@Tubby G gotta love the naming schemes of Mucky Nutz..... Butt Fender ... ;)

In my case it is not only about protecting my ass, but also a wee bit keeping the dirt out of annoying places in the bike.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Mucky Nutz have these rear mudguards which simply clip on to the saddle for £3.75 at the moment, about £1.50 to post:

I have a rear mudhugger on mine but bought the Mucky Nutz for my gf's bike, impressed with how easy they are to fit and effective at stopping the spray of constant mud & shite

I had one of those. It’s in the bin now!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Pleased with the result , that great lump of mud leaves and grass that sits on top of the lower pivot. Feeding grinding paste into the chain is no longer there , bike and rider cleaner after ride in some proper slop

CB62C998-5179-4FC1-BA05-4C6047B4E8BB.jpeg

9B8BF31B-A3C7-479F-AD16-99CC6549420E.jpeg

6D355E8B-7966-4836-B734-1E7125C3888F.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles