Muc Off Pressure Washer for EMTB

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
Has anyone used the new muc off power washer on an EMTB. Or have any insight into if it’s even safe to do despite Muc-Off saying so? I’m sure the first few cleanings may not caused issues but I’m wondering long term. Thanks

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
It's fine, just follow the general guidelines with any pressure washer and bikes - don't spray directly onto bearing areas, don't overdo the pressure (not a problem with the Muc-Off version) and specifically for eMTB: don't spray the motors directly, remove your battery if possible beforehand, don't spray displays and button areas (just wipe them clean later).

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Serious question - given you can’t use the thing on half the bike and setting it up takes more time then rinsing and agitating with a brush, why use a pressure washer?

With a normal hose, muc off, and two brushes (soft bristles and a specific hard bristles agitation brush) my bike can go from filthy to spotless in 15 minutes. I honestly wonder if I’m missing out.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
I use this. I dont have a water source where I keep my bike, so this was perfect. Not too powerfull either. Power is like squeezing the end of a hosepipe

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Serious question - given you can’t use the thing on half the bike and setting it up takes more time then rinsing and agitating with a brush, why use a pressure washer?

With a normal hose, muc off, and two brushes (soft bristles and a specific hard bristles agitation brush) my bike can go from filthy to spotless in 15 minutes. I honestly wonder if I’m missing out.

Serious answer: "half the bike" is exaggerating, you can spray all of the bike as long as you actually use some common sense about where you aim and how close you hold the pressure washer nozzle. Setup is just attach a hose and plug it in. And yes - a pressure washer is definitely not one of those "need to have" things, but it just offers an increase in convenience... kind of like having an eMTB vs. an MTB ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Isn't the muc off in its bike setting just the same power as a garden hose through a trigger spray?

Just dont do anything stupid and it should be ok.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I use a garden hose connected to a cone shaped brush. Water pressure a mere trickle. Works a treat.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Isn't the muc off in its bike setting just the same power as a garden hose through a trigger spray?

Just dont do anything stupid and it should be ok.

IMO yeah... the "bike" lance feels pretty mild... just like a garden hose, maybe slightly higher pressure (or I'm imagining it... I never compared the two side-to-side). But the "Motorcycle' lance works great for dried on, caked on clay and grime, and the "Variable" lance means you can use the pressure washer for other jobs too.

Again, it's not a "need to have" at all, IMO it's just a luxury of convenience. Most people won't spend the money, that's fine. However, it is definitely more versatile and capable of much more power than any garden hose with a multispray nozzle.

Also - Your last sentence sums it up. Too bad it's not that easy for people to follow LOL

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I use this. I dont have a water source where I keep my bike, so this was perfect. Not too powerfull either. Power is like squeezing the end of a hosepipe
I have this. Perfect to take to the trails in the back of a car. Works a treat.

Arcadyus

May 19, 2020
WA
I use one from harbor freight that has a low pressure setting and it works great. Comes with a soap attachment also for $80 bucks. Seth bike hacks did a episode with a standard pressure washer. It def got some shit wet that shouldn’t be. If you have decent pressure out of your hose there’s no reason to use one. I have terrible pressure and live in WA so no getting around having to use water to clean my bike.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
If that is the case then I think I would just stick with the garden hose. I know GMBN is sponsored by Muc-Off so that’s probably why people are more aware of them these days but I’m not particularly impressed.

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I think I stand by my point. The pressure aspect of the washer, the only benefit, can’t be used. You have to back away from the electrics, seals, bearings, drivetrain. That’s the majority of the bike.

I’ll bow out now, but I’d spend the money on something else.

Arcadyus

May 19, 2020
WA
I think I stand by my point. The pressure aspect of the washer, the only benefit, can’t be used. You have to back away from the electrics, seals, bearings, drivetrain. That’s the majority of the bike.

Nope not true. I have a pressure washer with a low pressure setting and it works amazing. No issues after years of doing this. Muc off just copied the exact same one I have and charges 3x as much. Since I live in WA my ebike gets soaked anyways.Plus my water pressure is fucking horrible. So my machine for $80 is perfect.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
If that is the case then I think I would just stick with the garden hose. I know GMBN is sponsored by Muc-Off so that’s probably why people are more aware of them these days but I’m not particularly impressed.

Pressure washing bikes was around long before Muc-Off came out with theirs. I used a general "non-bike branded" pressure washer for years now on a low pressure setting (which was still higher than a garden hose) until it died; I then got a chance to get a Muc-Off branded one for a discount so I thought "why not".

If you haven't used a pressure washer to clean a bike, either your bike isn't really that dirty to use one or you prefer scrubbing and agitating. But again - it's not for everyone, there is nothing wrong with just a garden hose and a brush.

...this coming from someone who hasn't even used a pressure washer to be able to make valid points about it. But it's the Internet, so that's okay. :cool:

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
I’ve used pressure washers for 21 years on motorbikes. Until a year ish ago I rode motorbikes every day no matter the weather, to and from London. They’d get disgusting. I’ve owned many washers.

I’m very new to MTB but I get the thing disgusting and it takes hardly any time to clean it. I’m not saying they don’t have a place, I’m just struggling to see how they serve a valid place on an MTB. Unless we are talking about different things, different pressures.

I just think wash the bike without one a few times to see if the cost is worth it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles