Mous or Quadlock???

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
Getting a new whyte, which doesn’t have a screen which is fine. But may use the bike for bikepacking so would be good to connect the phone for route directions.
So mous or quadlock and why?

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Getting a new whyte, which doesn’t have a screen which is fine. But may use the bike for bikepacking so would be good to connect the phone for route directions.

Get a Kiox, you can do the nav through it, it works OK, I was lost at Llandegla (also on a Whyte) the other week and it got me back. Not as good as a phone nav, but works well enough. The issue with the phone on there is if you have a fall and smash your phone when you are in the middle of nowhere it's not ideal!

I have a Quadlock on my motorbike and it works very well though.

tomisitt

Nov 11, 2022
UK
I use Quadlock, works well, but beware that the vibrations can kill the focussing system on your phone’s camera (apparently).

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use Kiox 300 on my E 160RSX but previously I just used Komoot on my phone. I did not mount the phone on the bike....I had it connected with blu tooth earplugs and just used the voice instructions.................I only checked the route on the phone if the voice instrcutions told me I had gone off course. My phone was kept out of harms way in my waist bag.
To be honest I actually found that method better ( I do the same with sat nav in the car) because I do not want to be looking at a screen when I am riding ( or driving)!

ashleydwsmith

Apr 15, 2022
Guildford uk
I use Kiox 300 on my E 160RSX but previously I just used Komoot on my phone. I did not mount the phone on the bike....I had it connected with blu tooth earplugs and just used the voice instructions.................I only checked the route on the phone if the voice instrcutions told me I had gone off course. My phone was kept out of harms way in my waist bag.
To be honest I actually found that method better ( I do the same with sat nav in the car) because I do not want to be looking at a screen when I am riding ( or driving)!
Good idea, I also have an Apple Watch so that can haptic buzz thingy me to tell me which way to go

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Good idea, I also have an Apple Watch so that can haptic buzz thingy me to tell me which way to go
If you have an Apple Watch, check out Pedometer++. David Smith just released a massive upgrade - you can upload a gpx directly from Komoot etc, and then the App on the watch can flip between a standard workout distance HR etc screen, and a map view with your route overlaid. It's really nice and very glanceable. Currently it used OpenStreet mapping, but OS maps are coming.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I've had this for a couple months, and love it. Yes, it's heavy, and no, I don't notice it mounted in the center of the bars. I have also tried a large-ish GPS that I own, and the wife's little Garmin bike computer which is an absolute piece of shit. I wired this to my battery so it charges the phone while mapping and playing music. I changed out the bar clamp for a better and lighter RAM ball mount; the included clamp would come loose on heavy trails.

1679964419420.jpeg

1679964425655.jpeg

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
For those using quadlock, I just bought a quadlock case with magsafe and I'm finding that it doesn't stay connected for charging. The magnets are very strong but it will start to charge (most of the time) but then stop after a bit. For charging over night it's not good. Anyone else having this experience?

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
For those using quadlock, I just bought a quadlock case with magsafe and I'm finding that it doesn't stay connected for charging. The magnets are very strong but it will start to charge (most of the time) but then stop after a bit. For charging over night it's not good. Anyone else having this experience?

I've heard this before. My wife uses Quadlock and Magsafe, and it works fine on an Apple charger and on a cheap third party mount-charger in the Tesla. Could it be that your power source is weak? I've noticed some mounts even warn you that the power sources has to be high power capable (15w and up).

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
Unfortunately, this is on an Apple charger. The only difference might be that my charger is integrated into a desk tray that I picked up on Etsy. I'll make sure the disc sits proud of the wood just to make sure I'm getting solid contact all arround. I sent something to QuadLock as well. Thank you for the feedback.
1680020090706.png

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Unfortunately, this is on an Apple charger.

They have made many different wattages, is it a newer 19/20w model? Also I would pop the charger out of that wood tray and test it solo. The wife just has hers laying on a surface by itself.

Also I had a problem with my third-party bedside wireless charger which would stop charging in the middle of the night. I thought it was defective, but resetting it fixed it. I just pulled the power brick for 5-10 seconds and reconnected it. No more issues.

Wombat Breath

Sep 26, 2023
Western Australia
You've probably bought your solution by now, but, Quadlock with android phone & RideWithGPS(free). Works perfectly & even have a quadlock for a powerbank too, for the extended backpack days and overnighters without charge options.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
You've probably bought your solution by now, but, Quadlock with android phone & RideWithGPS(free). Works perfectly & even have a quadlock for a powerbank too, for the extended backpack days and overnighters without charge options.
I have my old phone with a Quadlock powerbank case as my phone's battery doesn't last more than a couple of hours of bright screen and poor GPS reception. As I only have one SIM card, I use a bluetooth connection to my current phone in my rucksack if I want live information / maps.

Quadlock has an anti-vibration mount for motor bikes. I think it would be a bit big for an MTB, though.

Going back to the OP, I'd also be interested to hear any feedback about the mous system. I often find the quadlock a bit fiddly to get on,

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
I've had this for a couple months, and love it. Yes, it's heavy, and no, I don't notice it mounted in the center of the bars. I have also tried a large-ish GPS that I own, and the wife's little Garmin bike computer which is an absolute piece of shit. I wired this to my battery so it charges the phone while mapping and playing music. I changed out the bar clamp for a better and lighter RAM ball mount; the included clamp would come loose on heavy trails.

View attachment 110294

View attachment 110295
I think those bars would give me serious anxiety! 🤣

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles