Mount Etna

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
My wife and I were looking at that tour for our trip this summer to Sicily. We haven't decided if it will work for us yet though, we are staying in Taormina, and the tour leaves from a ways away. I'm interested in hearing about it as well!

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
My wife teaches school, we are mid 50's, still have to pull the plow... We are going in June, great weather for heat!

withersea

Apr 2, 2023
Leeds, UK
I've MTB'd down and around it, with a local uplift company. It was an amazing day and well worth doing.

My trip included cycling down from where the gondolas drop you. This is a very, very large bowl shape full of small pieces of lava. It's almost like riding on sand. I went over the bars 3 seconds in, because it's a very odd surface - thankfully the landing is soft and comfortable.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
My wife and I just returned to the states from Sicily. We did the "Ride to the Top", arguably the most difficult ride they offer. Our guide and the 3rd person on the tour were all older than us (likely 60's), and definitely more fit. We both did fine, there were some areas where the terrain was soft, so some skill is needed, though not a great deal. I would say anyone who rides regularly & can handle the time in the seat can do this ride. By regularly, I mean once every week or 2. Total distance was about 43km (however far that really is), and time was from about 9:30-3PM, including shuttle up &time to recharge the battery at the lunch break.

Any questions, ask away, ride is still fresh in my head.

John.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
thanks a million for that info. I am a bit older than the peops you mention but quite fit and I guess half of the trip is downhill anyway!!
Still planning to go and hope there is a good lunch stop!!

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
thanks a million for that info. I am a bit older than the peops you mention but quite fit and I guess half of the trip is downhill anyway!!
Still planning to go and hope there is a good lunch stop!!
If you ride regularly, and can navigate the loose ground, you will be fine. The lunch stop was great, lots of choices, even a beer. Check out my Instagram link for pics, my wife and I are not riding much yet, and did good. It was a long day in the saddle for me, but I used my battery plenty on the way up and the brakes on the way down. It was a great experience.

Here is my Strava link: Morning E-Mountain Bike Ride - John S.'s 27.9 mi mountain bike ride

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles