Motor which is fully serviceable?

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Which of the available eMTB motors are fully user serviceable and have parts availability? In addition, which motor doesn't lock you into the batteries you use?

I bought an EP8 powered eMTB a couple months ago, and am only now realizing the motor isn't serviceable and needs to be replaced if it fails. It's shear madness. I want a system I can repair and upgrade just like any other part on my bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Not sure about the EP8, but its predecessor the e8000 was serviceable, just not by Shimano! All the parts can be obtained and fitted. There was an extended thread on it last year by someone who DIY'd his motor. There is also a company that posts on here regularly who used to service e8000 motors and was happy to guarantee their work. But the electronic parts used to fail later (he can't get those) and he was blamed for the failure, so they stopped servicing the motors. I don't blame them!
It is entirely possible that the situation with EP8's is exactly the same. In fact, I believe it will be as I have heard nothing to the contrary. It is a poor show by Shimano. But until people stop buying bikes fitted with Shimano motors and give the reason, Shimano will continue to stick to their policy.
That is do as I say not as I do, because my first motor was an e8000 (zero problems) and my second was an EP8 (no problems so far) because in each case I wanted the bike it came with. So fickle! :giggle:

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Not sure about the EP8, but its predecessor the e8000 was serviceable, just not by Shimano! All the parts can be obtained and fitted. There was an extended thread on it last year by someone who DIY'd his motor. There is also a company that posts on here regularly who used to service e8000 motors and was happy to guarantee their work. But the electronic parts used to fail later (he can't get those) and he was blamed for the failure, so they stopped servicing the motors. I don't blame them!
It is entirely possible that the situation with EP8's is exactly the same. In fact, I believe it will be as I have heard nothing to the contrary. It is a poor show by Shimano. But until people stop buying bikes fitted with Shimano motors and give the reason, Shimano will continue to stick to their policy.
That is do as I say not as I do, because my first motor was an e8000 (zero problems) and my second was an EP8 (no problems so far) because in each case I wanted the bike it came with. So fickle! :giggle:
I wouldn't even call the E8000 serviceable because replacement parts aren't sold, so you can replace some bearings and seals, but that's the limit. You're also still locked into using only Shimano batteries.

I just really hate the lock in the manufacturers are doing with this.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I wouldn't even call the E8000 serviceable because replacement parts aren't sold, so you can replace some bearings and seals, but that's the limit. You're also still locked into using only Shimano batteries.

OK, fair play, instead of saying "all the parts can be replaced" I should have said something less inclusive. The point I was trying to get across was that if your Shimano e8000 fails (and maybe the EP8, but probably not), then not all is lost. The very long, multi contributor thread takes you step by step through the removal and dismantling, bearing and seal specs etc, types of grease and so forth. Plus loads and loads of pics. For someone who thought it was a throw away motor, it was a revelation!

I agree with your overall point though, Shimano need to change their approach. After the Focus Jam2, I swore never to buy a Shimano equipped bike ever again. That was on principle, not because I had suffered a motor failure. But then I saw the Merida eOne-Sixty 9000! :giggle::love:
Like I said, don't do as I say....... because I didn't. :whistle:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
this is the sole reason I didnt buy a Megawatt.. the shimano motor and not so much the issues, cos they all have issues... but the warranty dodging and the general attitude from them means ill never buy a shimano powered bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
this is the sole reason I didnt buy a Megawatt.. the shimano motor and not so much the issues, cos they all have issues... but the warranty dodging and the general attitude from them means ill never buy a shimano powered bike.
BRAVO! A man of my own principles! If only I had your commitment! :giggle:
The bike industry will be improved by people like you!
I salute you. (y)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
BRAVO! A man of my own principles! If only I had your commitment! :giggle:
The bike industry will be improved by people like you!
I salute you. (y)
well, its not that much of a commitment cos I do have a Levo.
if it had been a choice of megawatt or nothing then I would almost certainly fold :D
a megawatt or the bike I already have is an easier choice but it will change the way I buy my next bike, I am already looking and anything that has a shimano motor gets struck off the list :D

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
OK, fair play, instead of saying "all the parts can be replaced" I should have said something less inclusive. The point I was trying to get across was that if your Shimano e8000 fails (and maybe the EP8, but probably not), then not all is lost. The very long, multi contributor thread takes you step by step through the removal and dismantling, bearing and seal specs etc, types of grease and so forth. Plus loads and loads of pics. For someone who thought it was a throw away motor, it was a revelation!

I agree with your overall point though, Shimano need to change their approach. After the Focus Jam2, I swore never to buy a Shimano equipped bike ever again. That was on principle, not because I had suffered a motor failure. But then I saw the Merida eOne-Sixty 9000! :giggle::love:
Like I said, don't do as I say....... because I didn't. :whistle:
My 2018 MetaPower's e8000 had e010 displays that proved to be torque sensor failure. All was lost in my case because there are no replacement sensors made by anyone, let alone available anywhere, and they're not repairable. Apparently the the same is true for the EP8's sensor (very similar to e8000), but I don't know if any of the "mainstream" motor makers have torque sensor replacements available.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Are we sure that everyone would be capable to service their motor? I'm not sure if I would value self serviced motor the same as factory or even LBS services.

I would first like to see that the LBS would do something more than just send my motor to Bosch.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Service centre serviceability along with training available for their mechanics would be the ideal situation for shimano motors. Considering there is already a network of thousands of Shimano's service centres throughout the country/World.

Strindberg

Sep 24, 2021
Strasbourg, France
Yes, Shimano E8000 servicing is easy and absolutely reliable.

For me since November 15, 2021 and I'm very close to 2500 km after servicing in just 2,5 months.

See all my reviews and descriptions with lots of photos before and after this point.

Last edited:

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland

my 2019 norco sight has shimano motor and a simplo battery.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
The only motor I know that is fully serviceable is the one I made in a physics lesson all those years ago

5D6041D5-08A5-42FF-83E5-155C49D2E412.jpeg

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Someone needs to get a VESC working with a mid drive motor. They're open source and are already capable of controlling a mid drive, I just don't know of anyone who's done it yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles