Motor reliability?

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
One of my riding partners rides a 2017 Trance w/5000 miles (8046kms) on the OE motor (never changed & still going today)

Ive only got 1500 miles (2414kms)

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
I have reached that. It took me 1 motor, 1 derraleur, 2 chainrings, 2 cassettes, 5 small rear sprockets, 2 front brake disks, 3 rear brake disks, 2 front brake calipers, about 6 rear brake calipers, maybe 10 chains and maybe 3 washes. Haibike, just like Trance has Yamaha motor. I saw some reports over 20000 miles on those motors and keep counting.

Last edited:

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I am over 5000 miles and my motor got replaced at 3000km but because it refused to turn on, not because wear and tear.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
As soon as you start riding your bike a bit harder on trails and bikeparks chances are that the motor-bearings wear quickly.
If you don't pay attention to this the motor might get damaged.

I ruined my PW-X (1000km) in another way: The chain jumped off while I was pedaling uphill with maximum mode and full muscle force.
The chain got stuck between the cassette and the axle and stopped the drivetrain suddenly while motor and I had full force on the chain.
As a result the plastic gearwheel inside the motor broke.
Replacement ist difficult but possible.

Second motor (1500km) had a severe water ingress and the water destroyed the circuit board.
Wasn't my fault but well... the motor was dead.

The motors nowadays are not bulletproof yet.
And perhaps they won't be in the future, too.
The harder you ride the more wear the'll have.

Would be a relief if the engineers would develop at least waterproof casings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles